Sign in to follow this  
JANDL100

John Bowers Active One speakers

complin wrote:

Perhaps you should consider a pair of the original B&W Naitilus active. Fantastic to look at if you like modern designs, with sound quality to match. I think they cost £25K a pair though when the were produced!!

AFAIK they were never actively driven, but do require four channels of off board amplification per speaker, that has to be supplied additionally. The Crossover unit sits between pre and power amps. So I suppose active in the Naim sense, but not active in the same sense that these John Bowers speakers are where amplification is built into/supplied with the speaker.

They have never stopped producing them since launch in 1995, and the price remained £25k until last year when they finally upped it to £35k per pair. I believe they have continuously improved the driver designs in line with technological developments in the 800 series, but I don't know if they do a diamond tweeter version. They're very exclusive and B&W are almost completely quiet about availability and developments. But apparently they are actually selling better than ever, despite never being intended as a commercial prospect in themselves, rather an iconic flagship to feed sales downstream in the range.

Never seen a pair for sale SH though - I don't think they're the kind of thing people let go. So you're looking at a fair whack.

I've looked for a pair of S/H Nautilus but never come across them. Always been a fan of John Bowers desigs right from the DM2's. I had a pair of his DM70's many years ago, combined bass unit with an arc of electrostatic across the top for mid range and teble. Quite outstanding.
I have a passion for electrostatics so if your room is high enough how about a pair of Stacked Quad ESL 57's. One of the most wonderful speakers i've heard, so long as you dont want to play head banging rock!
At the other extreme you could take the minimalist approach with a pair of cain & cain from the US. http://www.cain-cain.com/audio/
They are now being imported into the UK and in the right setting can look and sound superb

Nice heads up, Complin. The Cain's are one of several single driver speakers getting a lot of buzz in the states these days and one I would love to play around with. By the way, the AV123 Onix Ref 1's, a dandy little two way standmountmentioned in the 6 moons article, appeared in the thread started by JandL100 about what I make before it was deleted so unceremoniously as an advert. My thing is a component in their most recent upgrade package for this speaker and what preserves the improvements upstream for all to more clearly hear.

Hey- do you still have the bowers active 1’s?  If you do and want to sell them let me know!

thanks

mike

mrxr97@aol.com

Jerry is still around but 11 years later I doubt that his Active Ones are!!

(ps- would love to be wrong about that and find that he has put them in a cupboard somewhere! :D)