Cal123

Audio Note Dac recap?

The digital board of the older Audio Note (20 bit) Dac 1's feature six Jensen alu foil PIO capacitors with values 1000v, 0.018uf. I've been told that these are generally ripe for replacement as most of them will have developed leaks after two decades. However, I can't seem to find a direct replacement with these specifications. Can anyone confirm that the DAC will typically benefit from replacing these caps, and if so, what would be a suitable replacement? I though Hificollective should know the answer to this, but they didn't reply my email.

Super Wammer

Thanks. Can you confirm that these are not new old stock?

Super Wammer

See this link,

http://www.partsconnexion.com/capacitor_film_jensen_pio.html

they are NOS however as mentioned on their website:

Each of these tonally rich "vintage" caps have been individually
re-tested by the manufacturer, and any out of spec or dried up
parts, have been culled from the inventory.  

The PcX also do cap testing and matching at a minimal fee if you wanted further peace of mind.

• Upvote 1

On 2/25/2017 at 17:42, Open door said:

See this link,

http://www.partsconnexion.com/capacitor_film_jensen_pio.html

they are NOS however as mentioned on their website:

Each of these tonally rich "vintage" caps have been individually
re-tested by the manufacturer, and any out of spec or dried up
parts, have been culled from the inventory.  

The PcX also do cap testing and matching at a minimal fee if you wanted further peace of mind.

If they are New Old Stock - how old are they?  Could be they are nearly as old as the caps you are replacing (if there is a need to replace)? .. one of my Hafler's is now 40 years old bless it with no sign of capacitor leakage and still sporting the original caps and sounding fine :) 

It turns out the digital board uses nowhere near a 1000V, so e.g. an Audio Note capacitor rated at 630V will do the job just fine. From what I understand, the original 1000V capacitor was chosen purely for its sound quality and not it's voltage rating. 

Is there something wrong with your DAC that needs fixing?

I simply inquired about potential upgrades and was told by the Danish importer that those caps should be the first place to spend one's money. From what I understand, they will typically have developed DC leaks at this point (they were produced in the 90's), and will eventually go on to leak physically. It appears there was a flaw in the construction which has been rectified in later Jensen capacitors. I may have misunderstood some of these technical details, however, as there was quite a torrent of information coming at me when I asked about potential upgrades. Still, I'm quite sure changing these capacitors was recommended as a first step.

Edited by Cal123