Purplefowler

Upgrading from ruark to......ruark!

So now I've said my hellos, it's time to get down to the reason for signing up. I've noticed there is a lot of ruark love here which is great as I love my talismans. Trouble is they have a dink in one of the tweeters. So I'm looking to change them. There is s rather lovely pair of mk talismans ending tomorrow in oak but it is basically just changing to the same thing so not really an upgrade. I have 2 other options:

1) hold out for a nice pair of talisman iis (this is what my gut is telling me to do but that requires patience and I don't have much of that!)

2) there is a pair of prologue Ines finishing next week and they are near to me so easy to collect, but I don't know how they compare to the talismans and the fact they seem to be designed with av in mind more than audio.

so I'm reading everything I can and am running round in circles backwards, going nowhere. So seeing as there is love and knowledge of rusrks round here, I thought I'd ask the experts! Please help me out :D

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer

Don't know anything about Ruarks, but you could always look out for a dog rough pair and cannibalise them to replace your tweeter. Would also give you other drivers and crossovers to keep yours running.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Lurch said:

Don't know anything about Ruarks, but you could always look out for a dog rough pair and cannibalise them to replace your tweeter. Would also give you other drivers and crossovers to keep yours running.

That was option 4! 

But you know what it's like, can't help feeling I could be doing better. But I don't think that feeling ever stops-damn upgrade fever!

I'm veering towards option one, mainly because it means I could have new toys tomorrow (there's that little patience thing again!). But I'm also a bit intregued as the tweeters look different, no wire grill over them and hex screws holding them in, and the speaker wire connectors are gold with ruark embossed on instead of the plastic red and bleck ones that are on mine. So I'm wondering if they are 1's that have been upgraded or if they are a later crossover model? The auction ends at 9am so I guess I'll have to see if I get lucky this time (they were up yesterday but the buyer who out bid me was in Poland and didn't realise they were collection only so the seller relisted them on a 24 hour auction). Wish me luck!

HAVING OWNED RUARKS OF MANY DIFFERANT TYPES , CAN TELL YOU THAT THE PROLOGUE ONE IS A BETTER SPEAKER THEN THE TALISMAN ONE , THE PROLOGUE IS A VERY MUSICAL SPEAKER ,  I REGRETED SELLING THEM , AFTER I HAD  THE TALIMAN 2 AND THE RUARK CL10 ,  THEY WHERE NOT AS GOOD AS THE PROLGUE , THINGS GET BETTER WITH THE TALISMAN 3 WHICH IS MY SECOND FAV BEHIND THE ALMIGHTY EQUNOX , PAIR ON EBAY DIDNT SELL AT £400 LAST WEEK AND WELL WORTH BUYING IF YOU HAVE A GOOD SIZE ROOM AND AN AMP WITH CURRENT THEY DISSAPEAR AND ARE HOLAGAPHIC  LIKE NO OTHER , FAR BETTER THEN THE LARGE RUARKS AND THE SIMULAR LOOKING SOLUS SO  TO ME EQUNOX , TALISMAN 3 PROLOGUE 2 , PROLOGUE ONE ,  ARE THE BEST RUARKS

Edited by GLB
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GLB said:

HAVING OWNED RUARKS OF MANY DIFFERANT TYPES , CAN TELL YOU THAT THE PROLOGUE ONE IS A BETTER SPEAKER THEN THE TALISMAN ONE , THE PROLOGUE IS A VERY MUSICAL SPEAKER ,  I REGRETED SELLING THEM , AFTER I HAD  THE TALIMAN 2 AND THE RUARK CL10 ,  THEY WHERE NOT AS GOOD AS THE PROLGUE , THINGS GET BETTER WITH THE TALISMAN 3 WHICH IS MY SECOND FAV BEHIND THE ALMIGHTY EQUNOX , PAIR ON EBAY DIDNT SELL AT £400 LAST WEEK AND WELL WORTH BUYING IF YOU HAVE A GOOD SIZE ROOM AND AN AMP WITH CURRENT THEY DISSAPEAR AND ARE HOLAGAPHIC  LIKE NO OTHER , FAR BETTER THEN THE LARGE RUARKS AND THE SIMULAR LOOKING SOLUS SO  TO ME EQUNOX , TALISMAN 3 PROLOGUE 2 , PROLOGUE ONE ,  ARE THE BEST RUARKS

Bugger! I went with the quick option and just replaced the talismans with another set. That said, I'm amazed the difference having two perfectly formed tweeters has made, just so much more open and airy. I only have a small room, it's a Victorian two up two down so they fill the room pretty well. That's not to say I won't try the prologues next time I get upgrade fever :D

7 hours ago, mr neds said:

Have Ruark finally run out of spare drive units? They still had them a few years back

I believe that most of the Ruark models had stock Seas and Vifa drivers, so you can renew drivers / make a swap or upgrade relatively easily. I just renewed my Ruark Swordsman with new upgraded Vifa and Scanspeak drivers, and replaced the crossover with a single cap. Amazing improvement, copious levels of detail and really wide soundstage.

IMG_4567.JPG

IMG_4570.JPG

7 minutes ago, mr neds said:

I could be wrong, but I don't think that hey we're stock drivers, they were modified by Ruark?

Not sure, you could be right. What I have found is that you can upgrade to higher quality drivers as the size and fitting is almost identical. I know my single cap arrangement is controversial to some, but the standard Ruark crossover sounded very muddy. I like a bit of experimentation and the Ruark cabinets are easy to work on and well built.