bencat

New Max2play / Audiophonics Media Player Dac

Super Wammer

This may well be old hat to many on here but in my latest Max2play news letter they had an article on this and after doing a bit of reading this seems like a very good DIY player with a nice touch screen and a very highly rated DAC . It appears it can be used stand alone connected to a USB HD via the Pi inputs or as part of an existing Squeezbox System where it can used either as a player or as the server and a player .

yeah, based on Audiophonics Sabre ES9018 DAC.

I am not sure about Max2play. Looks over complicated with everything they could have think of to put into the system :).

System is very stubborn and complicated to set. Nothing for novice. 

I was playing with it not long ago and I just gave up. I am not a begginner but it was way too much hassle 

Edited by rikardo1979

Super Wammer

Thanks to the above posters for their timely posts. I'd been checking out the Audiophonics site as they seem to  have got a few recommendations here and was quite interested in their network players and this model seemed to be an easy plug in and play option together with the RaspDAC and RaspDIGI. Their seems to be a lot of posters looking for a fit and forget one box solution at the mo. I have been using a Yamaha CDn-50 reading off a portable drive just for stored music (with a separate transport/dac for cd) unfortunately it does not do gapless through the usb and I listen to a lot of live recordings. The nearest solution I'd come up with was one of the Pro-ject Stream units which seem to do most things I need but have quite few lukewarm reviews soundwise.

The RaspDAC and RaspDIGI still look like interesting and cheaper possibilities and maybe someone can clear up a few queries on these :

I'm assuming as there are 2 models that the RaspDAC has no feed to an offboard dac ?

Can you use the RaspDAC  as a dac for a  cd transport ?

Any advise on server software such as the Rune Audio ? The Yamaha has a very basic file structure app which does the job and I'm quite happy with that.

All I can think of at the mo except to avoid wasting peoples time my music system and computer system are physically (and mentally) separate and this sort of setup is as near as I want to get to combining them also I suffer from acute acronymittus after a week searching the web.

That's all folks

I'm assuming as there are 2 models that the RaspDAC has no feed to an offboard dac

a digi board will provide spdif to a dac.

Can you use the RaspDAC  as a dac for a  cd transport ?

There are at least two boards available with a digital input that I am aware of, don't know how that would integrate into any of the OS that are available for the pi.

Some people run piCorePlayer with an raspberry pi screen and on-board LMS with a dac or spdif board of choice.

Moode player works well, but I'm not sure about the screen integration part.

I think Volumio has a screen distro for the Audiophonics gear.

I can loan you a pi to play with if you want, you'll need a couple of sd cards for the distros.

I suffer from acute acronymittus after a week searching the web

Give yourself a good rub down!

415iArUDaCL.jpg.8709f5198497f6e5fa576c492e9c8871.jpg

ronnie

Edited by Man in a van
spelin

Super Wammer

Have to say I fins the comments on Max2play a little puzzling as I am really useless when it comes to anything Linux but setting up a Pi to a LMS Server using max2play takes me about 10 -15 minutes from scratch . There is a definite process that you need to follow when setting up from scratch but the instructions deal with that and there is also a good video you can watch (and pause ) while you complete each step . I personally found it very simple .

Couple of early errors that I found was one when you first load the SD card it needs to be expanded this is simple under setting but ensure that no portable or other drive is plugged in before you do this so only the SD card is expanded .

Secondly use the Raspberry Pi settings to increase the usb power output to maximum which suits more USB HD units some of which need the extra voltage and are not recognised otherwise.

Good thing I like is once the set up has been completed there is very little need to do anything else it just runs along in the back ground and delivers the music (or video) you want.

Maybe because I have done the upgrades for SBT , Created Squeeze Players from Joggler units and loaded KODI on to my Fire TV I have got used to following set instructions and using the help videos. If anyone does decide to go for this and they would like any assistance by all means get in touch and I will do what I can .

Super Wammer

Man in a van / Bencat  Thanks for your time, input and kind offers of assistance.

Regardless of the whether or not I ever find the magic box thinking about it over the last few weeks has left me somewhat embarrassed by my lack of the most basic 

understanding of computers and as the Pi seems to have cropped up a lot in my searches I think I'm going to try experimenting with it on the theory you can probably learn

more by building and buggering it than you can from reading about it.

The salve looks good but I don't think 1oz is going anywhere near 'all over'.

Meanwhile still like to hear from any any owners of the Audiophonics units

Cheers

Super Wammer
On 14/02/2017 at 14:41, rikardo1979 said:

yeah, based on Audiophonics Sabre ES9018 DAC.

I am not sure about Max2play. Looks over complicated with everything they could have think of to put into the system :).

System is very stubborn and complicated to set. Nothing for novice. 

I was playing with it not long ago and I just gave up. I am not a begginner but it was way too much hassle 

I think you have to know what you want out of Max2Play to get the most out of it. I've tried competitors and still prefer it. 

1 minute ago, HectorHughMunro said:

I think you have to know what you want out of Max2Play to get the most out of it. I've tried competitors and still prefer it. 

I have tried all of the distros out there and keep coming back to MoodeAudio for it sound quality. Somehow sounds far superior to my ears than other distros, super easy and quick to setup.

But its like with everything else, we all have different requirements and preferences :)

Same like with my other RPi which is running XBian and not any other Kodi distro since day one :)  

Super Wammer

Cassidy if you are wanting to have a try out of a Raspberry Pi I have some of the first models and could let you have on to give it a try just PM me with your details. Thye will not be as fast as the latest versions but will still do all the things you want just a little slower.

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer
3 hours ago, bencat said:

Cassidy if you are wanting to have a try out of a Raspberry Pi I have some of the first models and could let you have on to give it a try just PM me with your details. Thye will not be as fast as the latest versions but will still do all the things you want just a little slower.

Andrew that's a very kind offer and much appreciated but I think I'm sorted one of my mates son has offered a few bits and pieces and a primer course for raspberry idiots so if I can hack being taught by a fifteen yr old I might learn something. Again thumbs up for the offer.