SuperPang

Looking for a musical AV Amp

Super Wammer

I don't think it's a question of 'trumping' it. It's that the priorities differ. Although we do play a lot of music DVDs on the AV system, it needs primarily to reproduce the sound of a helicopter traversing from one side to another and then a volcano erupting. Deep, gut-churning bass does not really need to be 'musical'.

My main piece of advice for people buying AV hardware is, ensure it has Audyssey EQ stuff on it. I use it to calibrate the levels and run room correcting EQ on my subwoofer channel. I use a "lowly" Denon AVR-2311 and am extremely happy with it.

For the record, though possibly not relevant in terms of budget scope, using it for music with my NS1000Ms and the subwoofer had me very, very pleasantly surprised.

Super Wammer

I use Marantz and find it superb, including Audyssey EQ. I use it as a pre-amp in the main stereo system.

Their range of receivers is wide from budget to expensive and they are all good. Although I did not have a chance to directly compare with any other brands.

With the recent refresh of models to include Atmos, the prices of the previous non-Atmos models went down significantly so if you do not need Atmos you can get a superb AV receiver at a bargain price currently. Say SR7010 or 6010 or even 7009/6009 (the latest ones are the 7011 and 6011).

Edited by AlmaAtaKZ

Super Wammer

I have had most of the Japanese brands, but find all the EQ systems affect clarity and musicality.

I now have an Anthem MRX-1120, the ARC room EQ is the best I have heard and all 11 channels of amplification drive my Dali In Walls and in ceilings with ease.

The sound with music is very good, better than many Hi Fi systems I have heard.

Arcam would be my second choice and also sound lovely with music, but more difficult/fiddly to set up.

I wouldn't bother with a Pre Pro and Power Amp setup, unless you intend to play at very high volume levels.

Super Dealer

I agree with the above poster , the ARC room EQ is to my ears way better than Audyssey , to be honest setting it up with earplugs in and blindfolded will beat most Audyssey EQ system i have ever listened to..its just wrong(this is my very very personnel opinion and i know some people do like it) . We had a client with a fantastic room that sounded wrong with just about everything that was put in there . He had and was very very happy with a lot of Naim amps and B and W speakers , he had tried several AV pre amps and in the end settled on the Anthem because the ARC just made it sound right . What he is trying next when the new projector is in and set up is a big move forward and something we are really looking forward to playing with but the costings are abuot £25k on top of what he's already spent...will be good to hear how the ARC cuts the mustard against it   

Hence why I only use Audyssey EQ for the subwoofer. The EQ curve Audyssey otherwise applies is boring sounding for music.

Edited by craigmclellan

Super Wammer

Some fine advice here - our AV receiver-thingie occasionally used for surround-sound rear-channels SX(with mm input ...) is adequate budget Technics - lacking all 'new from HDMI' inputs etc, though we use optical etc digital-in from Pioneer-Arcam DVDPs ...

If it conked out, we probably wouldn't replace it with something up-to-date - even our unsmartie tellies are still 2008 HDMI - SCART - phono ancient technology ...

I've got an Arcam AVR500, play vinyl as well as TV, movies, rock gigs etc. Can't fault it for sound.

Super Wammer

NuPrime HD-AVA might be interesting if you want "out of ordinary" AV amp with excellent 2ch stereo quality equally good for HiFi duties. It's borrowing the same amplification section from their excellent IDA-16 integrated and DAC section (ESS Sabre ES9018) from STA-10. On top of that, you have AV 7.1 features, 4K HDMI routing with ARC, zones support, DSP  (equaliser, crossover etc) and even room correction with included mic. RRP was around 3000EUR at a time, but they are now discounted at around £1500 so ex-demo or used units may even drop under £1000 and that's total bargain imho! (not sure what's your budget though).

http://www.nuprimeaudio.com/index.php/products/home-theater-media-server/hd-avp-hd-ava.html

Super Wammer

... interesting ... majoring on 2 good front stereo is - I agree - preferential usually ...

Unless you have additional 360 degrees VR extra-earing on head ...

Another vote for Marantz here, much more musical than Yamaha, my previous receiver, and great when streaming FLAC in stereo.

Super Wammer

After a lot of exchanges with a couple of local retailers with an identical demand (musical AVR), I'm taking delivery of a Denon AVRX4300H this week. I couldn't stretch to a Marantz unit but I'm told that the higher end Denon's share a lot with their parent company's finest. Got a great deal on the Denon £1,299 down to £779. I'm looking forward to sharing my experiences!! 

On 02/04/2017 at 21:34, Rob5ft19in said:

After a lot of exchanges with a couple of local retailers with an identical demand (musical AVR), I'm taking delivery of a Denon AVRX4300H this week. I couldn't stretch to a Marantz unit but I'm told that the higher end Denon's share a lot with their parent company's finest. Got a great deal on the Denon £1,299 down to £779. I'm looking forward to sharing my experiences!! 

All of them? 

Super Wammer
8 hours ago, craigmclellan said:

All of them? 

The web isn't ready for dat brah!! I'll stay on topic in such a public place! O.o

Super Wammer

Just to say that I've made my decision. I was very tempted by Primare but have decided to keep the box count down so I've gone for the Arcam AVR850 with an Oppo UDP-205. Will post some impressions when it's all set up in about a month. Thanks everyone for the advice.