Sign in to follow this  
Chumpy

Bach ' Ave Maria'/Pachelbel ...

... Randomly listening about a week ago to FM radio, I realised how much J.S. had 'absorbed' from Pachelbel ...

And I know nothing/love most.

Well, Bach didn't actually write an Ave Maria (being a good Lutheran), it was Charles Gounod who based his Ave Maria on Prelude No. 1 of The Well-Tempered Clavier. The Well-Tempered Clavier has nothing to do with Pachelbel, but everything to do with Bach's enthusiasm for the then new-fangled well-tempered musical scale. Tempering the musical scale involved fiddling things slightly, but it allowed the easy transposition of music for instruments other than the one for which it was written, a considerable advance. Bach illustrated the possibilities of the tempered scale with the 48 preludes and fugues of The Well-Tempered Clavier, covering all possible major and minor keys. 

Pachelbel knew the Bachs and actually tutored the children of Johann Ambrosius Bach (J.S.'s father), but only for a short time. It is believed that J.S. met Pachelbel only once, when J.S. was about 9. 

• Upvote 1

... indeed - always interesting to hear bits of other things randomly, then find out who 'copied' whom - accidentally sub-wotever, or for whatever-reason ...

I am so used (as many are) to finding out where pop-rock stuff originated that I am amazed when I, a barbarian 'classical' ignoramus, hear tunes of joy - wherever the influence emanated - in anything.

Edited by Chumpy

Pachelbel's famous Canon turns up in all sorts of places - just listen to Oasis's "Don't look back in anger".

On 2/15/2017 at 09:29, Chumpy said:

I am so used (as many are) to finding out where pop-rock stuff originated that I am amazed when I, a barbarian 'classical' ignoramus, hear tunes of joy - wherever the influence emanated - in anything.

You have to remember that classical music in its Western form, far from being the "fuddy-duddy, old-fashioned music", has always been the cutting edge of musical development in the west, pushing the form relentlessly forward. Things like Monteverdi's 1610 Vespers bridging the gap between Renaissance and baroque, Bach's abovementioned championing of the tempered scale, the rise of Haydn and Mozart and the "classical" style (in the strictly correct use of the word) and Beethoven's breaking down all the boundaries and establishing the basis for Romantic music. Not to mention the ideas of what was and wasn't dissonant, and the increasing use of that was once considered dissonant. Pop-rock is merely a popular fusion of the Western musical forms with African influences from US slaves and imported folk forms from Europe. Small wonder many similarities appear.

Edited by tones

Super Wammer
On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 21:03, tones said:

Pachelbel's famous Canon turns up in all sorts of places - just listen to Oasis's "Don't look back in anger".

i have a cd with 15 versions of it ..fascinating

Thanks.

About yo go similar-thoughts-ish with Arvo Part ...