fletchdirect

Bookshelf speaker reco

Afternoon!

Am looking for a speaker reco please. Budget 250 max - either sh or new, but preferably new.

Need to replace my speakers to solve two problems in one......

1) Change of room layout and the usual WAF - serious complaints about floorstanders.

2) I had been running Mission 733, Kenwood L1000M and Sony CDP915E (directly into power amp via variable output). I found the sound ok but too warm with lack of treble clarity for my liking. I've borrowed some  Mission 700s from a friend (the newer design). That solved the WAF but the sound will still too warm for me and I didn't particularly like the performance of them.

I therefore would like some recos for a bookshelf speaker with an overtly bright balance with plenty of detail, to counteract what seems a warmer sounding combo in the amp and cd player. At the moment, I cannot afford to change the system, just the speakers only. I used to run the CD and Amp with some Ruarks and didn't experience quite such warmth as I have now, but they are long gone.

PS - I know this forum hates cable discussions, but for what its worth - its hooked up with Chord Odyssey 2 and Ecosse Reference.

PPS - nothing in the room but a settee, blinds and wooden floor - no big curtains or axminster.

BIG thanks for your help!!

Cheers.

Edited by fletchdirect

I have had the wharfedale , the sound was poor IMO . I did modify them to give an acceptable sound but that is a different story.

As with all these questions I can only tell you what I would do if I was in your shoes . This will take some empathy as I do not understand the concept of WAF :)

Assuming DIY is out of the question , then I would look for JPW AP1/AP2 or Epos ES 11/14 on eBay and buy second hand.

Of new speakers , I do not know one currently available speaker I would like for £250 . I would however listen to Cambridge Aero 2 , these were £250 but are now £160 from Richer Sounds. These were given an excellent review by Dominic Price { for what it is worth } and intrigue me because they have no crossover and use a BMR .

Edited by D Quinn

17 minutes ago, D Quinn said:

I have had the wharfedale , the sound was poor IMO . I did modify them to give an acceptable sound but that is a different story.

As with all these questions I can only tell you what I would do if I was in your shoes . This will take some empathy as I do not understand the concept of WAF :)

Assuming DIY is out of the question , then I would look for JPW AP1/AP2 or Epos ES 11/14 on eBay and buy second hand.

Of new speakers , I do not know one currently available speaker I would like for £250 . I would however listen to Cambridge Aero 2 , these were £250 but are now £160 from Richer Sounds. These were given an excellent review by Dominic Price { for what it is worth } and intrigue me because they have no crossover and use a BMR .

That's interesting - what did you feel was wrong with the Wharfedales? What did you fix?

Fletch, I have just bought a set of Tannoy System 600s and my Triangle Titus bookshelf/standmounts are sitting here doing nothing. Fire me a PM if you are interested, but I can't post (well, won't post!) and am in Marlow, Bucks.

they were bass reflex , they had a ill defined lumpy bass and a sound that was hifi'ish and confined to the box and fell apart at high volumes . They did not fill the room with a coherent musical picture of what was on my vinyl . I should say these speakers have been reviewed well and I know of one person on another forum  who owns 15k speakers , who will say they sound great for what they are .

I blocked the port. Lined the cabinet with  6mm steel plate , removed the crossover . Placed a high quality capacitor and wire would resistor on the tweeter . I then doped the bass driver and ran it directly coupled to the amp .

These mods I took from the owner of  NVA hifi. I have tried them on six different pairs . All the speakers I now use follow these mods.

These mods  require a modicum of work and fair amount of experimenting and listening and are thus not for everyone . The epos es11 I recommend is an iconic speaker that many many people have praised over the years , it has a directly coupled bass driver as well . hence the recommendation .

Edited by D Quinn

25 minutes ago, D Quinn said:

they were bass reflex , they had a ill defined lumpy bass and a sound that was hifi'ish and confined to the box and fell apart at high volumes . They did not fill the room with a coherent musical picture of what was on my vinyl . I should say these speakers have been reviewed well and I know of one person on another forum  who owns 15k speakers , who will say they sound great for what they are .

I blocked the port. Lined the cabinet with  6mm steel plate , removed the crossover . Placed a high quality capacitor and wire would resistor on the tweeter . I then doped the bass driver and ran it directly coupled to the amp .

These mods I took from the owner of  NVA hifi. I have tried them on six different pairs . All the speakers I now use follow these mods.

These mods  require a modicum of work and fair amount of experimenting and listening and are thus not for everyone . The epos es11 I recommend is an iconic speaker that many many people have praised over the years , it has a directly coupled bass driver as well . hence the recommendation .

Thanks for the reply. I have read about this approach a few times. I played around with my Ruarks previously, and took the crossover external and replaced caps etc - but resulted in wires everywhere and tons of soldering, which p*ssed everybody off at home. I also replaced the driver with an upgraded Vifa. I was thinking afterwards of just connecting the bass driver up to the amp directly, and then running a capacitor directly to the tweeter. There's so many differing views on this - worries about the bass driver distorting etc. So it has been effective for you then!! PS - what does doping the bass driver mean?

Q acoustics 3020's very neat and great sound

Royd's if you can get them

Epos ES11's

ATC  SCM11's or if you want really neat and dinky speakers SCM7's

I've like all these speakers in different systems and all are pretty compact and good to look at.

Hope this has helped give you some ideas. :^

Super Wammer

ive got a pair of quad 11l original if that's any help in piano black

Pete

16 hours ago, D Quinn said:

Just a crazy thought, but would it not be easier to buy a pair of speakers that you do like, rather than buying six pairs that you don't and bodging them?!

17 minutes ago, Beobloke said:

Just a crazy thought, but would it not be easier to buy a pair of speakers that you do like, rather than buying six pairs that you don't and bodging them?!

Pah, where's your sense of fun and adventure? ;-)

Edited by Guest

Super Wammer

The Usher 520s, that are being offered for £199 at Scalford, have had very good reviews. I personally have not heard a pair, so cannot give my own opinion. 

From the 6 moons review.

The little Usher demonstrated a lot of potential when treated as a high-end product. It showed off some stellar soundstaging and resolution but also displayed obvious bass limitations. Listeners whose first priority is massive bass regardless of other qualities or the realities of price won’t find the solo S-520 quite satisfying. For those who value high-end refinement in all other parameters, the S-520 is an absolute gem.

Edited by greybeard

36 minutes ago, Beobloke said:

Don't know about bodging them, by all accounts Doc Mods are a positive way to go. Would you also say anyone DIY ing tt's and amps are bodging them. To the op you will have to go on to the unmentionable forum and look up Doc Mods or alternatively the Audio Talk forum. Good luck whichever way you go.

52 minutes ago, Beobloke said:

Alas , people willing to send me £10,000 speakers on a permanent conveyor belt don't exist . ^_^

I am pretty sure that the money I spent on my main  speakers . £90 for the box , £200 for the drivers , £30 for capacitors , £25 steel plate will mean that any speakers that sound better in my room { and I am very sceptical there will be any } will be way out of my price range .

As for the whaefedales I picked them up for £60 quid from richers sounds when children forced me to drastically downsize my listening room and my old speakers were two large . £60 quids worth of mods and I would hazard a guess I would need to spend thousands to better them .

By the way the use of the term  "bodging them" betrays your prejudice and ignorance and this from a man who got on his high horse when the owner of this forum mentioned journalists and backhanders   on pfm  :rofl:

Edited by D Quinn

19 minutes ago, D Quinn said:

Alas , people willing to send me £10,000 speakers on a permanent conveyor belt don't exist . ^_^

I am pretty sure that the money I spent on my main  speakers . £90 for the box , £200 for the drivers , £30 for capacitors , £25 steel plate will mean that any speakers that sound better in my room *{ and I am very sceptical there will be any } will be way out of my price range .

As for the ***whaefedales I picked them up for £60 quid from ****richers sounds when children forced me to drastically downsize my listening room and my old speakers were **two large . £60 quids worth of mods and I would hazard a guess I would need to spend thousands to better them .

By the way the use of the term  "bodging them" betrays your prejudice and ignorance and this from a man who got on his high horse when the owner of this forum mentioned journalists and backhanders   on pfm  :rofl:

*(  )

**too.

*** Wharfedales

**** Richer

I can't be bothered with all the other punctuation errors. Are you really an educated man, a solicitor even?