Kegworth Show Information

The information for this year's show is now live at www.thehifishow.com or by clicking on the show banner below.

NON EXHIBITOR ROOMS NOW OPEN - Special Offer....Stay Saturday, join in all the build up excitement on Sat night and then gain FREE access to the show on Sunday

LAST MINUTE WAM HIFI SHOW AVAILABILITY - ONLY A FEW EXHIBITOR ROOMS LEFT - ONLY 5 SLEEP ONLY ROOMS LEFT - ONLY 3 BIG SYSTEM SPACES LEFT

horace

The perils of the demon drink (and some stuff about Impulse H2)

8 minutes ago, horace said:

I very nearly bought one of those...

An amp that remains on my bucket list.

I love a bit of bling!

That bling is getting expensive now. They've gone up a few hundred since I had one. The KW500 is also excellent.

I couldn't get the H2's to work that well with valves. The best were EAR 519 and Ear 534 but the 3 amps that really made them sing were a Chapter 200S (think they've gone bust though so I'd steer clear of them), a Perreaux Eloquence 150i and a Luxman L550 aii . The list of amps that  I felt didn't work with the H2s is long and varied. I came to the conclusion they needs lots of current available. 

3 minutes ago, killie99 said:

I couldn't get the H2's to work that well with valves. The best were EAR 519 and Ear 534 but the 3 amps that really made them sing were a Chapter 200S (think they've gone bust though so I'd steer clear of them), a Perreaux Eloquence 150i and a Luxman L550 aii . The list of amps that  I felt didn't work with the H2s is long and varied. I came to the conclusion they needs lots of current available. 

I'd agree with that Stu, but for one exception. They sounded ace on 18w of Gamma 211. They also sounded ace on 20w of Art 300b (can't remember the exact)

But yep, they danced lovely with a ton of watts. 

I forgot about one and this was a surprise. They sounded ace on a Naim 42.5/140 too.

That's encouraging - my Gato has a goodly amount of watts behind it, so I am optimistic.

I have a pair of Ta'us and have heard H2s several times.  IMO they work best with "smooth" solid state, such that the SS assists with bass control.

I've tried my Ta'us with a variety of kit including EL34s (Canary CA608), 300Bs (coincident mono-blocks), Quad QSP, Bel Canto Evo2.  I've recently bought a Quad Artera (kind of the latest version of the Quad 606, 909).  It's the best match I've tried with my speakers.

7 minutes ago, Mr_Sukebe said:

I have a pair of Ta'us and have heard H2s several times.  IMO they work best with "smooth" solid state, such that the SS assists with bass control.

I've tried my Ta'us with a variety of kit including EL34s (Canary CA608), 300Bs (coincident mono-blocks), Quad QSP, Bel Canto Evo2.  I've recently bought a Quad Artera (kind of the latest version of the Quad 606, 909).  It's the best match I've tried with my speakers.

That's good to know, as I wouldn't regret an opportunity to go back to Quad if it comes to that.

I am possibly the only person in the world who thought the Quad 77 series was really good...

I could be deaf, however.

4 hours ago, horace said:

That's good to know, as I wouldn't regret an opportunity to go back to Quad if it comes to that.

I am possibly the only person in the world who thought the Quad 77 series was really good...

I could be deaf, however.

Never mind that....

1. Have they arrived yet?

2. Do you still have your bits?:D

6 minutes ago, Tarzan said:

Never mind that....

1. Have they arrived yet?

2. Do you still have your bits?:D

Speakers not being collected for a couple of weeks, so bits intact for now. 

The Impulses are not as deep as the Paduas and can sit closer to the wall, so I remain optimistic. 

Straws... Clutching... etc

7 minutes ago, horace said:

Speakers not being collected for a couple of weeks, so bits intact for now. 

The Impulses are not as deep as the Paduas and can sit closer to the wall, so I remain optimistic. 

Straws... Clutching... etc

Is Mrs H in full possession of the facts of the said evening in question?

20 minutes ago, Tarzan said:

Is Mrs H in full possession of the facts of the said evening in question?

Define 'facts' 

Define 'full possession' 

I would say that Mrs H is in full possession of a judiciously edited version of most of the facts, which may or may not have been embellished in the interests of artistic licence (and stuff). 

Sort of. 

And anyway, some big kids did it and ran away. 

• Upvote 1

I'm not worried. There comes a time in every man's life, when he must stand tall and be counted... 

Before being cut down mercilessly, like a twig. 

Martin, i think you'll find this interesting, if you haven't seen it already:

http://www.referencefidelitycomponents.co.uk/restoring-and-upgrading-impulse-h2-loudspeakers/

they have measurements at the end of the page

37 minutes ago, random_noise said:

Martin, i think you'll find this interesting, if you haven't seen it already:

http://www.referencefidelitycomponents.co.uk/restoring-and-upgrading-impulse-h2-loudspeakers/

they have measurements at the end of the page

Thanks - that gives some insight into why they weigh 65 kilos each!

That looks like Brumjam's refurb?

Paul@RFC also did my Ta'us which had cost no object outboard crossovers and were exhibited at Scalford last year with a Leben amp.

Congrats, they'll sound fab.  The bruises will heal...

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer

Those h2 may well be brum jams......... who had his refurbed by ...paul .... and an excellent finished sounding pair of speakers they are.