Andrei

Arnold Schönberg

Are there any Schönberg aficionados lurking in the Wam?  I know very little and wonder where to go.  Somehow I don't think that picking some music at random and listening will help.

So far I very much like Verklärte Nacht, I am ok with the first Chamber Symphony, and dislike Pierrot Lunaire.  Right now I am getting to grips with the Gurrelieder.  It really is something else!  But the question is: where to next?  My thought are towards the second Chamber Symphony.  Any suggestions?  Also, what are the more accessible examples of his serial music?  Help appreciated! 

On 1/30/2017 at 05:15, JANDL100 said:

Cor blimey.  I even posted in that thread :S

Some of his choral music is really beautiful. The String Quartet No. 2 is fascinating - it is tonal until the fourth movement when, very unusually for a string quartet, a soprano joins in and the music literally begins to drift free of tonality as she sings "I breathe the air of another planet..."  It's the moment when Schoenberg leaves behind the terra firma of hundreds of years of musical tradition and steps out into the unknown.

If you're looking for 'accessible' serial music I would try his disciple Berg, who is the most lyrical of the Second Viennese School composers.

On 15/01/2017 at 01:45, Andrei said:

Are there any Schönberg aficionados lurking in the Wam?  I know very little and wonder where to go.  Somehow I don't think that picking some music at random and listening will help.

So far I very much like Verklärte Nacht, I am ok with the first Chamber Symphony, and dislike Pierrot Lunaire.  Right now I am getting to grips with the Gurrelieder.  It really is something else!  But the question is: where to next?  My thought are towards the second Chamber Symphony.  Any suggestions?  Also, what are the more accessible examples of his serial music?  Help appreciated! 

8 hours ago, culturecrammer said:

Some of his choral music is really beautiful. The String Quartet No. 2 is fascinating - it is tonal until the fourth movement when, very unusually for a string quartet, a soprano joins in and the music literally begins to drift free of tonality as she sings "I breathe the air of another planet..."  It's the moment when Schoenberg leaves behind the terra firma of hundreds of years of musical tradition and steps out into the unknown.

If you're looking for 'accessible' serial music I would try his disciple Berg, who is the most lyrical of the Second Viennese School composers.

I have given Berg's Violin Concerto (In Memory of an Angel) a go about three times now.  No success, in spite of particularly liking Violin Concerto's as a genre.  I am sure it must me, as the work is highly regarded, but some how I cannot make the connection.  It is not that it is complex as I have no real trouble getting to grips with Brahms, Bruckner, Stravinsky and others.  Any other accessible Berg recommendations?

7 hours ago, complin said:

All the  Schönberg  I have tried has been utterly unlistenable!! Just a jumble of notes discordant and totally unaccessible by most people? Berg much the same.

Perhaps i'm missing something? 

I much prefer Stravinsky or Ligeti :^

I know what you mean!  A few years I ago read an article in Stereophile's 'Fifth Element' column on the Gurrelieder and that sparked my interest.  But just recently I read a short biography of Schönberg.  This is one very interesting dude, and so I am having another go.  I am struck by his early works, and I agree they serial works sound like a 'jumble of notes'.  There does not seem to be any music.  But I am convinced by his sincerity and wonder if I will have a eureka moment.  

This is a fantastic recording of Schoenberg's choral stuff: http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Naive/V5008   The other Schoenberg work worth trying is the Five Orchestral Pieces. 

I'm afraid the Violin Concerto is probably about as accessible as Berg gets!   All I would add is that this music is very sensitive to how it is performed - it can be done with an emphasis on the more lyrical/Romantic aspects of the music or in a more stringently modernist way, which can result in its seeming quite dry. In different hands the same work can almost sound like a different piece.

This is a very lush and approachable recording of Berg works: http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Chandos/CHSA5074%282%29

You could also try Karajan's recording of Second Viennese School works:  http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/DG/E4577602

If these don't appeal then it might just be that you are never going to get on with atonal music. 

If you like Schoenberg's earlier tonal works (have you checked out Pelleas und Melisande?) you will probably enjoy other fin-de-siecle/expressionist/ultra-Romantic composers such as Szymanowksi (try the Violin Concertos) and Korngold - try his Violin Concerto and this: 

Edited by culturecrammer

Super Wammer

....... Renee Fleming ........ Oh so beautiful........ thanks steve. :)

22 hours ago, deggie said:

....... Renee Fleming ........ Oh so beautiful........ thanks steve. :)

The girl can sing! :)