The Abbot

(Older) spkr ideas.. for naim 140.

Hi Chaps- my venerable naim nap 140 (Im never likely to part with or upgrade) says it wants a new set of spkrs. Cant afford new, or anything used for over £375 ish. I like floorstanders (or big beefy standmounts) & tried many usual suspects over many yrs: naim credos, royd menstruals/ doublets/ abbots, ruark talismans, cura small f'standers, heybrook hb3 (older ones I tweaked), even quad esl 57's! currently using heybrook sextets.

Im thinking older ones again as I can repair a foam, dustcap or resistor if needed, but mainly cos always some bargains. I need to consider: no shouty HF (naim being naim), nothing ott bassy either, nothing snoozy.  And my amp being nowt beefy like @ only 45wpc: I need 88db min really > 8 ohms. Sextets been good.. just the HF altho detailed is quite hard sounding, & the mids are only so-so.

If I saw some royd abbots Id have another go, as my new hse w'thick stone walls gives spkrs a hefty clout of extra LF (I have to tamp down/ sock up its jacksy) which could be a good match for the weirdly bass-lacking Abbots.

Ideas very welcome! thx Abbot.

Acoustic Energy 505 or 509. Have a look.

Just now, Bourney said:

Royd menstruels!!! 😮😮😮

Well, they can be a bit bitchy.:D

I knew you'd pick that one up.

Super Wammer

EPOS es14 on good stands.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, greybeard said:

Yes. Forgot that one.

• Upvote 1

Super Dealer

If you don't mind or like big get some Goodmans Magisters. I restored a pair last Easter and was so impressed with the result I bought a pair for myself. Cost of secondhand speaker £50-150, new mid and tweeters and crossover something like £300 and you have a couple of world-class speakers that can live with the best. If you go this route you're welcome to my crossover design and driver specs. There are other Goodmans e.g. Magnums that would probably sound great with similar treatment and Magnums regularly go for £50.

David

Hi OP,

I've got some ES14s in walnut packed away. They need new tweeters though, and I was having trouble sourcing them some years ago. I have the stands but might need to be a bit creative as I don't have quite all of the spiked nuts they used to join the top bars and support the speakers. Sounds like a bad deal but they are great once working.

PM if interested.

Another shout for Epos. The ES11s or 14s are both brilliant. Had 11s with my 72/hicap/140 combo for quite a while and loved em. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, greybeard said:

Thanks for replies chaps.. thought this might spring some replies, Im sure a few of you have seen spkrs £200-£400 for good prices & tried a few.

Goodmans? my goodness.. I thought they were Tandy-shop cheapy nasties. Jpw & tdl are often best bang for buck catagory now I think of it.. the tdl3 though is sooo deep me no likey.

I was thinking es14's actually too.. never tried/ an itch Ive thought of scratching. I'll pm ..haggis & have a word.

Are es14's decently sensitive matchwise for a 140? I have a feeling if you get a mismatch the spkrs dont 'soundstage' so well: imaging/ s'stage is s'thing Ive read the 14's do well too iirc? (& the thing I like most with any spkr). I think maybe their caveat is bass too, so could work quite well then..

thx Abbot.

1 hour ago, The Abbot said:

Hi Chaps- my venerable naim nap 140 (Im never likely to part with or upgrade) says it wants a new set of spkrs. Cant afford new, or anything used for over £375 ish. I like floorstanders (or big beefy standmounts) & tried many usual suspects over many yrs: naim credos, royd menstruals/ doublets/ abbots, ruark talismans, cura small f'standers, heybrook hb3 (older ones I tweaked), even quad esl 57's! currently using heybrook sextets.

Im thinking older ones again as I can repair a foam, dustcap or resistor if needed, but mainly cos always some bargains. I need to consider: no shouty HF (naim being naim), nothing ott bassy either, nothing snoozy.  And my amp being nowt beefy like @ only 45wpc: I need 88db min really > 8 ohms. Sextets been good.. just the HF altho detailed is quite hard sounding, & the mids are only so-so.

If I saw some royd abbots Id have another go, as my new hse w'thick stone walls gives spkrs a hefty clout of extra LF (I have to tamp down/ sock up its jacksy) which could be a good match for the weirdly bass-lacking Abbots.

Ideas very welcome! thx Abbot.

Take care - for the money you want to spend chances are you will not find anything better than your Heybrooks.  As they say the worst change is change for the sake of change :)   As for 45 watts per channel unless a loudspeaker is a very difficult load with very low sensitivity then 45watts is enough for most settings.  

Personal view would be to find a pair of Cambridge R40s. they do not have a large footprint and are amazing value for money (bass to shake your tummy and clear and honest mid and top (well what else would you expect from a Kef B139, B110, T27 line up)

Elac b6 .. Beefy stand mount that will leave a lot of the stuff we hold so dear in the shade. £300 .

buy a pair on line, if u don't like them your covered by distant selling ( I believe) so can just send back.. If you were near me you could borrow mine but your too far away to make that practical. 

Heres mine playing Russian circles 

As posted already Royd Minstrels are sweet, but even better you could get a pair of SBL's for £375 :D