mike lacey

Replacement XOver for Naim SBLs?

I've concluded* that the XO on my Mk 2 SBLs is kranken. Sibilience where there used to be liquid sweet tones, etc.

Problem is, Naim don't make them any more AFAICT.

Any suggestions as to another Xover that'd work with my SBLs?

TIA

Mike

*Swapped amps. Swapped CDP. Interconnects. The tweeters still work. Moved everything rattleable.

• Upvote 1

What Duncan said. Not difficult to sort out at all.

Super Wammer

Have you asked Naim if they'll service them for you?  They're generally very good with servicing pretty much everything they've ever made.

They've announced they don't have spares...

I spoke to Henry / TopRepaiurMan last night and spoke about likely damage / ageing of the Xovers.

His view ( and he should know) is that its not likely to be the xovers but more likely to be the drivers - I've looked at the bass / mid driver and all LOOKS OK< plus they pass the "soft ooze" test - push them back gently, and they should slowly ooze back if there are no leaks / splits.

Could I have knackered the coils? I can certainly hear eg. kd lang's voice sounding "grainy" and she normally sounds juuust sublime. I've swapped everything I can except the speakers - the only "spares" I have are not that good quality so not a fair A/B...

There is some forum talk of tweets going off in sbl's, but the same Scanspeak tweet is used in many other designs. 

I had a journey with PXO's as I bought a cheap active pair. I got a mate to build me crossovers with decent caps, air cored coils and nice resistors, while he built them I scored original Naim, and ridiculous Audio 42 with Jentzen foil caps and Audyne Gold caps

Needless to say the A42 was the best, however the home built (£100 in parts) wasn't far off. 

The threads over on PFM. I'm sure a search will reveal. 

Now the helpful bit, Witchat will service/upgrade existing, also remember SL2 will work (Naim may have them) As far as I can tell, all the external crossovers are the same,from IBL to Allae, so you may be able to spread your search wider. 

I'm banned for life on PFM so can't ask there!

Shame, it was one of my fave forums...

The more I think about it, the more I think its the tweeters

Super Wammer

Are you banned from the Naim forum?  If not, J.N. on there had PXO issues with some SBLs that a service remedied - might pay to have a look through the threads on that.  He was quite surprised how ragged they sounded compared to a new set.

Edited by SteveS1

I've looked through Naim and although John mentioned his XOs going off, the more people I speak to about it, the more likely it is that the problem is the tweeters... They're around £200 each so I don't want to cough onless I'm sure...

Anyone in Berkshire have SBLs willing to put their tweeters on my SBLs for certainty?

logically , it is not possible for anyone to diagnose the problem you have upon the description "Sibilience where there used to be liquid sweet tones"

Is it permanently present on all records . Is it present on left and right speaker . Is it present at all volumes or just when the volume control is cranked up.

It would be very unusual for two x-over or two drive units  to develop the same fault at the same time. If you have knackered both  voice coils , how do you suppose you have done this .

look for lose connections mechanical and electrical , re solder them , look for lose connections in the x-over .

Also , why are the other tweeters you have not a fair comparison , if your tweeters are indeed damaged , then the so called inferior ones will not display the same sibilance characteristics .

Edited by D Quinn

Super Wammer

Just open up the speakers and read the cap values right off the existing caps. Then order caps of the same values (within your budget) and solder them in. Fini

35 minutes ago, D Quinn said:

logically , it is not possible for anyone to diagnose the problem you have upon the description "Sibilience where there used to be liquid sweet tones"

But some people have been helpful and given pointers.

Is it permanently present on all records . Is it present on left and right speaker . Is it present at all volumes or just when the volume control is cranked up.

Both, most volumes but more noticeable when louder

It would be very unusual for two x-over or two drive units  to develop the same fault at the same time. If you have knackered both  voice coils , how do you suppose you have done this .

Like I said, by playing LOUD

35 minutes ago, D Quinn said:

look for lose connections mechanical and electrical , re solder them , look for lose connections in the x-over .

Easy if you can do it...

Also , why are the other tweeters you have not a fair comparison , if your tweeters are indeed damaged , then the so called inferior ones will not display the same sibilance characteristics .

They won't, but theyll be able to reproduce SOME sound and it may be that the sibilance isn't present with them.

The tweets are here

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Linn-Naim-Rega-Tweeter-Scanspeak-D2008-8512-New-/231720467144?hash=item35f39dbac8:g:TikAAOSwTA9X9MAg

Can't you view PFM? Lots of info on SBL's.  

As I had the A42 X-over,  I swapped to Scanspeak D2905/7000 which are £200+ but there are some cabinet mods to fit them.

• Upvote 1