Kegworth Show Information

The information for this year's show is now live at www.thehifishow.com or by clicking on the show banner below.

NON EXHIBITOR ROOMS NOW OPEN - Special Offer....Stay Saturday, join in all the build up excitement on Sat night and then gain FREE access to the show on Sunday

LAST MINUTE WAM HIFI SHOW AVAILABILITY - ONLY A FEW EXHIBITOR ROOMS LEFT - ONLY 5 SLEEP ONLY ROOMS LEFT - ONLY 3 BIG SYSTEM SPACES LEFT

lowendall

Cheap as chips system just saying

So I know we all like a good tune and many in hear have large amounts of money invested in your systems indeed in the past I have had a couple of grands worth of speakers and about a grands worth of amps and other bits , but been using a very much paired down system recently , but have been having some great sounds ,my main CD player for most of the time is a old marantz 6000 ose thing a ke wood 2030. Special edition amp and a big 30 year old set of Sony G3 speakers. They sound quiet good to me but today I hooked up a old beresford original dac hooked up to a very cheap old Sony DVD player. And it sounded to me great a bigger left to right image on my old 1992 classi

:^:^

Nice one, just goes to prove you dont need to spend a fortune to get a great sound, I've got a old Sony amp in the loft wooden box thing might just give a dust off lol 

I had a huge downgrade in gear this year and freed up quite a lot of money. Don't miss it at all and in fact I'm enjoying the much cheaper system a lot more. Listening to more music than ever, which should be the goal! It's not all about the money. 

• Upvote 1

Some of the cheaper systems sound absoultley amazing, then people get carried away upgrading and it gets out of hand :)

I've a marantz 6000 ose player and i find it very good, its heavy for a budget player, and it got me thinking about a cd 17 and all that copper.

My Chord pre-amp recently developed a fault(fixed by Andrew@abacus............great bloke). I temporarily replaced the Chord pre/power with a Denon PMA510AE. Not the last word in imaging or bass, but once warmed up was a lively and engaging listen.The Denon was  cheap as chips(2nd hand) and used in 2nd system(with  Technics 90's CD player(one with the mn6474 mash dac - superb)). Great sound doesn't have to cost much.....

Edited by Steveh
spelling mistake!

In my man cave I listen to an Airport Express analogue out direct into a Quad 405-2 and some Technics SB-F2 Speakers.. the whole lot was less than £200 and sounds very good...

Sold my PX25 mono's after picking up a Sony STR 6055 receiver for £69 and loving it. Haven't looked back and invested the money in a '57 Ford Pop. 

I'm sat here listening to my 2nd system which cost peanuts and it sounds great. It's not the last word in fidelity but it's highly enjoyable. My main system does a lot more in every respect but my 2nd system makes me question it and its cost as its more impressive but less enjoyable.

My entry level AR 80's sprung deck has me considering changing my NAS AceSpace heavy to a sondeck or michell

Edited by RSand

Guest MJ.

The sound 'quality' of my system has always gone up and down relevant to what shape my finances are in. For the last few years finances have been pants but my system has never sounded better.

The reason ? During the lean times, I've learnt quite a lot about system matching and synergy, room to speaker interaction, room treatment and most importantly, about the sound I actually like.

It's become far less about money and far more about experience ! Oh and music, always the music.

10 hours ago, MJ. said:

The sound 'quality' of my system has always gone up and down relevant to what shape my finances are in. For the last few years finances have been pants but my system has never sounded better.

The reason ? During the lean times, I've learnt quite a lot about system matching and synergy, room to speaker interaction, room treatment and most importantly, about the sound I actually like.

It's become far less about money and far more about experience ! Oh and music, always the music.

Contrary to popular opinion, SQ is not measured in £.

Edited by Tony_J
  • Upvote 1

It is the law of deminishing returns - the difference between a well put together cheap system and a system cosing 50 times more does not equate to something sounding 50 times better (assuming of course the expensive items purchased do actually give a better result which is not always the case)  :) .  In the end it is all about the music .. which would you prefer a cheap system or no system?  We all know the answer is to have something to play our music on ... I am in the same boat as you in the conservatory I have an old Pioneer A400 a Pioneer 501CD player and a pair of Systym 931 (Systemdek/Art) and it sounds bloody fab (not as good as the main system but good enough).

I get more excited about new CDs/Records than I do about new pieces of hifi these days ..

Guest MJ.
2 hours ago, uzzy said:

I get more excited about new CDs/Records than I do about new pieces of hifi these days ..

Same as this.

Exactly the way it should be :^