Cable Monkey

Formula 1 2017

Admin

It should be all over bar the shouting but in the last month the twists and turns have been surprising .  Reliability has been very good for Mercedes and with the points lead they can be a bit more conservative with turning the wick up on their cars . We know if the Ferrari garage get their act together they may have the fastest car now . They have to out qualify Mercedes purely because the Mercedes is a great pacesetter but struggles behind other cars when in the mix . Ferrari need the first row of the grid then maybe Kimi can do a job . Ultimately Lewis is a racer so just racking up the points he needs wont suit him. I expect him to race and try and win the remainder of the season .

I am no strategist but I think Lewis will settle for equalling his qualification position unless he can demonstrate genuine superior pace and he will be cautious around Kimi and the Bulls. Matching Sebs 4 titles will be his motivation, I think he knows if Seb gets a 5th it will be hard to catch up in the time he has left in the sport. 

Super Wammer

Come on Veggie Ham - may we all use solar-wind-wind-up -wave etc p.d.q. ...

Super Wammer

I would like to think that Lewis would be sensible and given the lead he has just take it easy and get points in the last races which will see him to the title again this year .

However given his temperament and competitive nature I suspect that this may not be the case and he will want to win all the races form now till the end of the season . While I realise this may be not the best move I do have to say I would admire this sort of attitude and it will at least give interest and a little danger to the final races.

Qualification in Pole has been great for Lewis this season and I would guess barring some sort of problem or an accident that he can be on pole for the US . If either Seb or a Red Bull are next to him and they press really hard I think Lewis will not try to fight too hard . This though is a time for Bottas to step up as his team mate and try and get second and then protect his colleague from those behind .

Admin
4 minutes ago, bencat said:

This though is a time for Bottas to step up as his team mate and try and get second and then protect his colleague from those behind .

Yep this is key and Seb will want the same from Kimi . 

Not so sure about Bottas. He is still able to win the WDC mathematically so beyond ensuring the constructors championship is secure he can take care of his own interests. The question is does he have it in him to be the disruptor Nico was willing to be.

And as an aside, temperamentally I don't think Lewis has put a foot wrong this campaign. Temperament isn't an issue.

Edited by Cable Monkey