Cable Monkey

Formula 1 2017

Well I think 2016 is well and truly done now. Bar a couple of decisions awaiting official announcements prompted by Rosbergs' retirement and Red Bull apparently getting the authorities to poke around Mercedes suspension, the new season will be on us soon with car launches and testing next month. We shall see if the new format reinvigorates the sport in the way people want. 

Super Wammer

All-electric/solar-wind-powered etc/no drivers - all auto-robot-computer-propelled ...

Well done Rosberg jr for retiring as Ch./being feted recently on 'Question Of Sport' - gnash ...

Super Wammer

Seems that Paddy Lowe has left Mercedes to return to Williams for 2017 and according to the media this will ease the transfer of Bottas to Mercedes . Not sure how that works but Paddy Lowe has been a serial winner with all of the Marks he has been with so maybe this will mean a change in Williams fortune .

Success may well follow but it won't be immediate if it does happen. He will need time to get any chassis work done unless they really can redesign and build a car in 6 weeks! I would imagine they are looking at 2018 to reap any benefit from his presence.

Bottas confirmed at Mercedes. Young, committed and we know Lewis can be beaten now, although I suspect he will rectify his personal inconsistencies. Should be an interesting first few drives.

Im really interested in how the 2017 cars go. We are told they will be a lot faster and harder to drive but Im not sure that they will look it. Ive got a lasting memory of watching Ayrton Senna coming towards me on the outside of Club at Silverstone in the Mclaren-Honda V12. The car obviously did not want to go that fast but you could see his mind blowing skill dominating it. Thats what I want to see Verstappen/Hamilton/Ricciardo etc doing not cruising around saving tyres.

On 1/10/2017 at 06:40, bencat said:

Seems that Paddy Lowe has left Mercedes to return to Williams for 2017 and according to the media this will ease the transfer of Bottas to Mercedes . Not sure how that works but Paddy Lowe has been a serial winner with all of the Marks he has been with so maybe this will mean a change in Williams fortune .

Not really down to his ability to direct winning teams, more due to his ability to spot who to work with.

He could see that McLaren were going to struggle once they moved to Honda and so jumped ship to join Mercedes, where Ross Brawn and Bob Bell had put everything in place to win. All Paddy had to do was not mess it up, which pretty much is what he did.

Williams are in need of a technical director that understands how to direct vehicle performance development. Paddy Lowe is not that man, but he is better placed to deliver than Pat Symonds who has shown over the years that he does not understand vehicle performance (needing a working party to understand why the car is slow in low speed corners and in the wet is pretty shocking). 

• Upvote 1

On 1/10/2017 at 08:25, Cable Monkey said:

Success may well follow but it won't be immediate if it does happen. He will need time to get any chassis work done unless they really can redesign and build a car in 6 weeks! I would imagine they are looking at 2018 to reap any benefit from his presence.

You massively under estimate the problems at Williams and over estimate Paddy's skills in developing a winning team.

Williams got Pat Symonds and 8 other senior engineers to leave just before Christmas. In that group of 9 people there were 1 or 2 who could have helped turn Williams round, but only if the internal very conservative technical culture is turned round. That is very difficult to do and will need new people (who are good at innovating solutions and some of whom really understanding how to develop vehicle performance) and most likely more current employees who are holding Williams back, to move on.

Williams F1 used to be very innovative in the 80s and 90s, but as other teams improved technically and the rules tightened, Williams technical culture didn't change and so they dropped back down the grid.

Edited by IanW
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for that insight Ian. I think it is tough to shake the layman's impression that problems can be shaken off with a new season and new car. :)

Super Wammer

Nice to see Massa back, but generally I lose more interest every year. Once the whole thing goes to Sky or whoever I'll probably not follow it any more. In fact, does Ch4 have coverage this year anyway?

Apparently Sky are imposing their will, they have the first two races live. 

How long do they have the gig for though. Liberty are a parent company of Virgin Media are they not? Might make the next round of bidding interesting in the UK.

Lots of changes have occurred but not much life in this thread. Manor look to have reached the end of the road, but one of the possible buyers could still buy it and keep them racing this year. But it has been losing good staff over the past few weeks. Ross Brawn getting involved with trying to sort out F1 from a a technical viewpoint and making soem very good points and seems to have a long term strategy to change it for the better. Bernie gone from F1!

It is a shame about Manor but the way the sport is structured means there will always be a team like Manor struggling to survive. And when a team like Haas comes in and hits the ground running it emphasises even more that money well spent buys performance so Mannor don't have enough and/or don't know how to spend it.

It will be interesting to see what Ross comes up with in the medium term and how the politics play out as teams make demands in return for falling into line. I wish him luck with that!

It appears that Manor had cash invested that they thought should be enough to get them to finish 10th. When it all went wrong at the Brazilian GP then there was no plan B and so unfortunately they stopped being viable for the current owners.

It is a fine line that needs to be achieved in terms of financing of teams from the TV money etc. It should be enough to enable a well managed and run team to compete at the back of the grid but not too much so that owners can do a mediocre job and make a big profit for themselves. 

With a less steep gradient for improved performance (income vs championship position), hopefully an improved meritocracy can be created for the teams to work in.

Super Wammer

I am out of date now but the new Ferrari looks interesting.

Still, it is usually the 3rd race before relative competitiveness really emerges, Melbourne is odd in both the tarmac and corner combinations so often gives a false idea of competitiveness.