AlmaAtaKZ

ATC Owners Club

ATC current, past and future owners -

For me, a pair of SCM 50As as part of the main system, as well as C1C for centre channel and the new SCM 7s for rears, plus  C4 sub. All fed by Marantz SR7008 AVR.

I have a lot of respect for ATC for their no-nonsense approach to design and build, even if it is getting a bit old. Visited their factory when researching the buy and it was well worth it.

Saving up for an active centre. Maybe one day.

6742195213_8547b6b55c_o.jpgIMG_2433 by AlmaAtaKZ, on Flickr

13960382966_55c73f5b8e_z.jpgIMG_6023.JPG by AlmaAtaKZ, on Flickr

Edited by AlmaAtaKZ

Super Dealer

Active 50's here, I haven't tried the passive version but it would be interesting to compare active and passive versions.

Keith

IMG_0203.JPG

Lovely mid range on the Mk1 SCM40 I used to use, no doubt due to that superb ATC dome.
Hope to hear the latest SCM40 soon with its better tweeter & deeper(?) bass.
Bomb proof build quality & the ability to go very loud easily.

Super Dealer

The ATC midrange 'dome' always get mentioned but compared to other speakers we have here they are similar ,ATC is just a good solid design from top to bottom.

Keith

How do the latest SCM40s compare to the old version Keith?

Super Dealer

Honestly I wouldn't know we only have had the new versions here, we only became ATC retailers in September last year.

If we have an older pair part exchanged I will compare them.

Keith

If you get the chance to do a comparison that would be very interesting, thanks.:^

Super Dealer

Definitely ,I am also interested in comparing passive and active versions of the same ( nominally ) speaker.

Keith

Thinking of getting the atc scm 11 new model, anybody have these ,would replace my monitor audio studio 6 ,not sure if its worth a shot ?

On ‎05‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 09:17, PuritéAudio said:

The ATC midrange 'dome' always get mentioned but compared to other speakers we have here they are similar ,ATC is just a good solid design from top to bottom.

Keith

Perhaps that was because the quality of the rest of the band ( with the Mk1 SCM40s), particularly the treble, wasn't up to the very high standard of the midrange.

Super Wammer

ATC's Active SCM150 speakers average around 25 grand, (£18,300 to £33,000) depending on the style....Studio version, Tower version, Anniversary version.... I can't afford that, whichever version I choose....Even secondhand they are the price of a car...

However, I was able to buy some ATC PA65s a few years ago. ATC numbers their speakers by the cabinet size in litres. So the PA65s are 65 litre cabinets. Not well known, but designed by ATC for high quality reproduction of music at high volume levels in environments such as exclusive nightclubs, with the design based on ATC's SCM150 ASL speakers, and intended to be used with separate subwoofers. Even the same drive units, the only difference being the tweeter. I found that a top nightclub called Movida in London had been sold off, and was being emptied of everything. The 17 pairs of PA65s and the associated subwoofers which had previously been installed in Movida were being sold off in the UK. So I was able to buy a pair of PA65s from the Sound Engineer who obtained them from Movida. I have since been in touch with two other guys who had the same idea as me...Conversion to SCM150 spec. Even ATC themselves were willing to advise me in this endeavour, and quoted the other cases they had helped with.

It took me a year to build the new cabinets which, although only MDF, are double layered on the main skin, and have an internal latticework not too far removed from the internal design adopted by Magico speakers.  I successfully converted the PA65s into homebuilt active ATC SCM150A Super Linear Towers (Anniversary style) speakers with these new cabinets, using exactly the same midrange and bass speakers as the genuine ATC article, the only difference being the tweeter, which is the ATC built 34mm tweeter from the SCM200 and 300 series. A fine tweeter regardless, just not quite as extended as ATC's new SH25-76S silver wired tweeter. As a consequence, I also added a Townshend Super-tweeter to my design to extend the performance of the ATC SH34-76. I knew these Townshend units well and trusted my own judgement in this. I also designed very heavy stainless steel outriggers and adjustable feet...

The Tri-Amp unit system is the same in all the 3 way ATC designs. ATC's technician actually set the Tri-amp unit up for me.

Wonderful, clean, accurate, truthful speakers.

That's why....Mark Knopfler, Lenny Kravitz, Calvin Harris, Pink Floyd, Roger Waters, the Stones, Coldplay, Krall, Sting, Ronnie Scotts, Royal Opera House. Sydney Opera House, BBC, Doug Sax, Hugh Padgham, Michael Bishop, Robert Miles, Mark Ronson, Bob Ludwig, James Guthrie, T-Bone Burnett, Steve Perry, Ziggy Marley, Paul Reed Smith, Cambridge University, Tate Galley,  USA Library of Congress, Front Stage Nashville, Sony Music Studios NYC, Warner Bros Burbank USA, Telarc Records, Air Studios London...and so many others...all use them....Tell me of ANY company supplying speakers to such a wide range of discerning clients. Any questions?

Here's the FULL story of my build...

https://uk.pinterest.com/TheTrike/pride-joy-my-diy-atc-loudspeaker-project-pa65-atc-/

All my own work....just the grille is missing in this picture....

IMG_0968.jpg

Edited by vintageaxeman
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Admin

They look great David! 

First couple of times heard ATCs, i found them not to my liking, but i recently had a dem of the SCM50As with the new tweeter. What a difference! I could easily have bought a pair of these, the difference was so big. Not sure if the tweeter was the only difference, but the soundstage was much bigger, and they had a touch more warmth. Worth an audition for anyone with the older tweeter.

Super Wammer

Thank you, guys....

Here's the FULL story of my build if you're interested...

https://uk.pinterest.com/TheTrike/pride-joy-my-diy-atc-loudspeaker-project-pa65-atc-/

...along with quite a few other hifi-related pinboards...

Edited by vintageaxeman