JB

Amp with digital inputs

Super Wammer

If you want to stay with relatively small form factor alternatives ...

NuPrime IDA-8

http://www.nuprimeaudio.com/index.php/products/amplifiers-and-preamps/integrated-amps/ida-8.html

end even new Elac DA101EQ-G integrated (with internal DSP)

https://elac.com/product/debut-series-da101eq-g-integrated-amplifier/ http://www.nuprimeaudio.com/index.php/products/amplifiers-and-preamps/integrated-amps/ida-8.html

are worth considering and interesting amps in their own rights.

As somewhat left-field option even Pro-Ject MaiA-DS is interesting choice:

http://project-audio.com/main.php?prod=maiads&cat=boxes&lang=en

All well within and below the budget, with all needed features and in general very good integrated amps to consider.

Super Wammer

XTZ D100-A3 has digital inputs, a very good DAC and plenty of grunt....

Take a look at the Peachtree range. The Nova150 would be in your price range, but they also had some nice tube pre-amp integrateds in their earlier product range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What about picking up a used item? A Primare i22 should be possible for a grand, with optional digital input card.

Edited by Tristan

Super Wammer

Bluesound Powernode2. This is a combined DAC, streamer integrated amp. If there's a Sevenoaks audio near you then you should be able to get a demo, they also carry Rotel.

Super Wammer

Thanks for the suggestion - some interesting ones to investigate. Cant find a Nuprime UK distributor, although looks a nice amp. Will look into the ATZ and Elac.Used is an option of course and i do keep an eye on the classifieds. Yep there is a SSAV near me and can check out the Rotel and Bluesound. Any thoughts on a Yammy - the AS801?

Super Wammer

just looked up the ELAC - lovely looking little amp

Super Wammer

Think its narrowed down to Yamaha AS801 - NAD C368 - Elac DA101EQ-G - Rotel RA12 - Quad Vena (if that counts as narrowed down!). Difficult to audition some of these - might have to be a punt at this cost!

I second the HK990,which i have owned for some time.I think it could be the best sounding option,just add a Singxer SU-1 DDC and you could still have some change left from your budget of 1000 pounds.This amp was considered a bargain and a tech marvel even at its initial retail price.

Also i have read good things about the Marantz HD-AMP1,which is compact,looks great and has Hypex modules inside.

And many are going for the FDA route,the best one probably the Dsound D310.Less than 250 pounds imported and i can vouch that even smaller FDA designs can sound great.

Super Wammer
5 hours ago, JB said:

just looked up the ELAC - lovely looking little amp

Yes ... with some innovative features in place. It was presumed on my side that your Cabasse system is sub enabled, so amp my give some good room integration possibilities. 

"Auto Blend" feature measures room freq response of your main speakers and subwoofer and then applies correction curves for sub crossover and phase for better sub (and room) integration. Also, there is a Remote EQ to somewhat equalise freq response according to your listening position. Everything is controlled from the mobile application. This is classified as "budget" amp but knowing Elac is quite certainly over achiever to great extent. It's a new release with rather sparse first hand experience, but I guess that trial is pretty much risk free from the dealers with friendly return policy.

These days, I'm somewhat drawn to the high quality amps with integrated digital hub and/or streamer and possibly DSP ... they usually don't come cheap, but imho certainly represent the future lane of HiFi.

Super Wammer

yep it is a sub system. Not sure how it would all work as the sub has cross over and volume controls etc and very little chance of getting to hear it first, will check if they have a 30 day return policy. 

Super Wammer

Interesting.

Occasionally, for non-analogue inputs, we still use a Technics SA-DX1050.

I had a Rotel RC1570 as I was looking for an all in one pre for actives. It's certainly very versatile and well made for the money. I didn't get much use from Bluetooth (it worked well enough if the source wasn't moving!). Playing straight from a USB stick was a bonus and the DAC was decent on all inputs. I was a little underwhelmed with the MM phono stage so moved it on and went back to my old phono / pre combo.

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk

Super Wammer

Think it's down to Rotel A12, Elac, Yamaha As801 as these all do what I want in budget. Only thing that puts me off Elac is power. I want to change the NAD D3020 as underpowered at 30w and the Elac is 40w into 8 ohms.... the rotel 60and Yamaha 100. There is sale or rerun on the elac though and the Yamaha is order only hmmm