flak monkey

Black Rose - Sophie Lancaster Tribute Custom Bike Build

On 10 January 2017 at 12:49, minorrevival said:

My wife booked a pedicure for me just after Christmas as she was fed up with the huge crusts of dead skin on the outside of my heels :sick:. Took a bit of courage to walk into the place but the experience wasn't unpleasant. And my size 12s are now less like coarse grit sandpaper. Next step is getting a doctor to take a circular saw to my bunions :^

Who said romance was dead ;)

Super Wammer

I dropped the bits off at the paint shop last week and they are getting on well with it already. Airbrushing is going on today.

Being done by Darren at  http://airfx.co.uk/

received_1109858629160227.jpeg

17349507_1109932482486175_511003611_o.jpg

Edited by flak monkey

Super Wammer

Thanks, hopefully have it finished in the next month or so. :) won't be posting many more pics until it's done though...

Super Wammer

I got a message late last week saying the paint would be done on Saturday morning and that I could go an collect it. Obviously that wasnt happening due to some other event that was on this weekend (apparently)... So it's been a bit of a hectic day today - up bright and early to tear down the hi-fi at Scalford and then home, unload and then the 100 mile round trip to the painters.

All done far faster than I expected, and it looks fab... some sneak peaks of the finished thing. Not revealing it all until the bike is finished :)

DSC04574_zpsbuwy5tp1.jpg

DSC04584_zpsbfvxtp45.jpg

DSC04602_zpskrzjkgyh.jpg

Super Wammer

Getting closer....

DSC04722_zpsk78yeiss.jpg

DSC04719_zps8hao8euj.jpg

DSC04738_zps5qhjrale.jpg

DSC04754_zpsvwxvtxjo.jpg

DSC04764_zpst5ubjgjn.jpg

DSC04748_zpsspwwddpz.jpg

Super Wammer

Got it running today - still a few bits to finish off; Seat, rear lights, number plate mount, exhaust mount at rear, air filter cover etc

Fired up as soon as I pressed the starter button - surprised me as I had to do a lot of modification to the wiring loom to convert from fuel injection to carb, including a completely different ignition module, all of which was totally unknown.

The carb needs rejetting too, as the main is too big, makes no difference at idle though.

Also had a noisy lifter in this video, but it seems to have sorted itself out - they are hydraulic and sometimes take a while to get pumped up properly.

Super Wammer

Not yet :) I had a leaky oil cooler so have had to replace that and then been getting a few jobs done on my car and truck

Super Wammer
4 hours ago, karlinamillion said:

Nice work! What paint shop did you use? I read that you did a lot of the prep yourself, but roughly how much was it. I have a Duo Glide that needs smartening up, but bodywork is just not my thing.

Cheers

AirFX in Norwich. I only had the tank, air cleaner cover and rear mudguard done and it was just over £500

Super Wammer

Looks like the finished bike will be stunning even to a non biker like me. Numpty question. It appears to have a belt drive rather than a chain drive. Not sure I have seen one of those before. Why would a manufacturer go for a belt? How often does it have to be changed and at what cost?

Super Wammer

Harleys have been belt drive since the early 90's

They are more or less maintenance free and as strong as chain width for width. If kept in check and well maintained they will last around 50k miles, or 10x longer than a chain. A new belt and rear pulley is around 3x the cost of a chain.

They are also clean. Chains throw lube everywhere over the course of a few 100 miles, but belts are obviously run dry, so no issues with that either. They also do away with the need for a cush drive, as they have a little bit of 'give' which helps smooth power transfer.