amcluesent

Assessing Amazon Dot sound quality as a player

Thought I'd compare the sound quality of the Amazon Dot in my main set-up (below). As the Dot can only stream compressed files and has no optical output, the only valid comparison was using MP3 files I'd ripped using EAC and uploaded to Amazon Music compared to playing the MP3 from NAS through the Transporter.

Bottom line, the Dot sounds inferior on the same files compared to the Transporter.

It's listenable, but definitely losses out on bass and the top sounds harsher. The mix gets more 'blended', it's not making the most of the information left in the MP3. The delta was less than going from MP3 to FLAC, but was noticeable. Shame there's no mini-TOS on the 3.5mm to bypass DAC/line stage.

I was looking at the router stats to see what the Dot was doing, it appears to load the file into cache rather than streaming in real-time, initially taking > 1Gbps of bandwidth to d/l the file, then nothing much.

NB The reason for getting the Dot was in anticipation of the community developing voice control for Logitech Media Server. Plus it tell jokes.

wp_20161231_17_57_12_pro.jpg

Edited by amcluesent
Correction
  • Upvote 1

Quick follow-up, using the realtime traffic stats on my Asus RT-AC68U router to look at the bitrate of some live-streams on Tunein via the Dot

Radio 1 - 128Kbps

Radio 3 - looks like the 320Kbps stream

PlanetRock - 64 Kbps

Edited by amcluesent

Interesting.

I got a Dot for Christmas, but haven't done much with it yet. Mrs horace got an Echo, which has been a huge hit. She has it in the kitchen and uses it mostly for radio listening. In that context, it's great.

A Dot with lossless streaming and a digital output would be a game changer, methinks.

Lossless streaming echo dot sounds wonderful, would definitely like that. I don't have many skills out here with mine (damn country skill locks) but it is still a great alarm clock and general calendar manager. I want to buy a bunch of smart lightbulbs and basically turn my small apartment into a knockoff smarthome hahah