Billydr

Second hand or new

Hello everyone, I'm completely new to "proper hifi's" I have a budget of £600 but could be stretched a little if needed. I'm wondering if I should buy new or second hand. I'm personally ok either way, just want the best bang for my buck. I'm also not in a hurry so can wait for the right combo. any setup suggestions are appreciated for both new and old. 

details

will be playing music from laptop only via a traktor s2 kontroler which contains a DAC

room size is 5m x 5m

contains a poo table and sofa

wooden floor

thank you

Hi Billydr and welcome to the Wam.

What size is the poo table and how often do you empty it?

• Upvote 2

Second hand most definitely provides the best value for money, especially if the kit is a couple of years old, so is well down the 'bathtub curve' of reliability but well before end-of-life.

About the only thing I would prefer to buy new is a pickup cartridge as you have no idea just how many hours it has on it, unless you know and trust the seller. Loudspeakers may have been abused, but generally, cosmetic condition is a fair guide to how they have been looked after. Electronics tend not to wear, and are good buys, and again, cosmetic condition gives a certain reassurance as to how they have been treated.

As to what's a good buy, any of the mainstream brands. Boutique brands tend to be heavy on depreciation, and so may appear good value, but with boutique brands you're taking a risk they won't be around to provide spares or service if you should need it after a while. 

Also, buying on here, from established 'Wammers give reassurance that you're much less likely to be ripped off. 

Good luck with the search.

S

• Upvote 1

Definitely second-hand.

Second hand. 

My reasoning, apart from the budget, is that you might buy somethIng you like initially and then want to try something else, or fall out of love with. If so, then you won't lose much, if any, cash. 

• Upvote 1

Second hand, 

As once you join the passion we all love 

You will beginning the long journey thats box swapping :party:

Welcome and most important enjoy 

13 hours ago, wizmax said:

Brill :rofl:

20 hours ago, Naimkiller said:

Second hand, 

As once you join the passion we all love 

You will beginning the long journey thats box swapping :party:

Welcome and most important enjoy 

Brill :rofl:

The tables are available modified to play the dice game of  "craps"........sorry:D

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, H20gna said:

The tables are available modified to play the dice game of  "craps"........sorry:D

Glad to see the christmas spirit still Alive :party:

Serge has touched on most of the important points.

However, £600 is a slim budget. I think £1000 is more realistic in order to achieve a quality system.

I was discussing kit buying with a Wammer today and it was surprising how much of our respective systems we had both acquired through the Wam. (SELLING on the Wam is altogether a trickier activity , however, with many Wammers treating the whole business as 'sale or return'.)

Its good to build up a circle of geographically close Wammers whom you can visit for a listen and a chat.

Jack NSM

I agree with the rest of the guys. Second hand by a country mile. So are we talking just amp and speakers here? You already have a digital source in the form of your laptop? £600 quid can get you a very decent amp and speakers imo. Certainly look on here and I'd have a peruse on gumtree too. You'll be amazed what pops up on there. I think it's great fun sticking to a modest budget. You'll ge plenty of 'bang for you buck'

Second hand allows better equipment to be bought but take care. If is 1/2 years old or ex-demo then the risks are low. If it is much much older then you need to know it can be fixed if there is a problem. For most transistor amps then they can be fixed but take care as some use chips that can't be replaced. Speakers may need to be re-foamed, which can normally be done but is a bit of messing around. 

As always, I advise initially new fully-warrantied economical whilst you are 'experiencing'-learning ...

Later on, you might need to purchase used to 're-experience' etc ...

You can learn if it is worth 'paying more' for un-guaranteed with no servicing-option ...

Bonnes chances.

X Masses

Edited by Chumpy

With £600 for amp and speakers, assuming your laptop as a source (or a 30 quid chromecast) I would spend £500 on speakers and the other ton on a basic nad/rotel/pioneer type amp (rotel ra930 for example). You can upgrade your amp later on but for me you'll get far more enjoyment that way round than cheap speakers on a pricier amp.

• Upvote 1

On 24/12/2016 at 22:21, wizmax said:

The best welcolme to a new member ever.

Go second hand - reliability should not be an issue if you buy wisely (e.g based around a Pioneer A400 amp or other solidly made kit e.g. Meridian etc.).  You will get a fine system for £600 with careful purchasing.  As for the C D player though I wouldn't get one second hand as the lazer has a finite life .. get a new one like a Marantz or Similar if you want a CD player. That will take up £200 to £300 of your budget.  Then say £100 on a Pioneer A400 or similar and £200 on a pair of speakers which off fleabay should give you a great choice.   Alternatively use a pc as source as suggested and spend more on the rest (there is a Meridian 101/103/tuner for sale at £300 on fleabay at the mo and to better that you would need to spend a grand or more).