Camverton

L'Arpeggiata

Christina Pluhar's ensemble has long been a favourite of mine. Here's a visual and aural delight - aren't those old instruments beautiful. For a particularly lively bit skip to 47:13.

Edited by Camverton
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer

Share your enthusiasm for Pluhar and L'Arpeggiata Malcolm.  Not always convinced of some of her slightly 'jazzed' arrangements but always produces beautiful recorded results.  She and Jordi Savall have carried a torch for a more exotic approach.  'Via Crucis', 'Teatro d'Amore' and the recent Cavalli disc are stunning releases.

Thanks Malcolm.
I enjoyed this quite a lot, up to the 60 minute point, a nicely varied programme. Some of the solo instrumentalists are superb, the violinist in particular is quite something.  And a touch of humour when the "Blues Brothers" turn up. :) ... then Pluhar goes and fooks it up with her jazzy syncopations. :doh: :(

MartinT 'in another place' is a strong advocate for Ms Pluhar and I have tried several of her recordings due to his enthusiasm, but I find that I have about a 5 minute tolerance for her commercial releases before I have to reach for the sick bag.  Too smug and self-satisfied by half for my tastes, and I loathe the way she jazzes things up all too often, as in the post-60 minute section on the vid.  

This live concert recording worked much better for me for the first hour, everything is not overlaid with the smug smile I seem to hear from her commercial recordings, but I would have preferred a female vocalist to the counter-tenor chappie, at least some of the time, just to vary the tone; less authentic though it might have been.

Edited by JANDL100

Interesting comments B| about her jazzing things up. Personally, it is that aspect of her/their "style" that I get most enjoyment from, and I find them at their best when they are collaborating with the likes of the superb Gianluigi Trovesi. Not for all tastes, and when I am in puritan mode I find Jordi Savall more acceptable, but for downright enjoyable and energetic playing that brings a grin to my face L'Arpeggiata hits the spot. I suppose, when one likes this style, smug becomes radiant delight! At least it ain't boring!

Rather like Jan Garbarek with the Hilliard Ensemble these collaborations can either delight or offend. Understandably, crossover it may be, but there is little middle ground in whether it appeals or not.

• Upvote 1

Strangely, and perhaps inconsistently, I am a huge fan of Jan Garbarek with the Hilliard Ensemble.

Go figure. :)

Yes, I am very ambivalent about crossover. When Bryn Terfel indulges in a bit of crossover I can get quite cross! Having said that I came across a CD with him singing with the jazz guitarist Martin Taylor and was completely captivated.

:ot: By the look of it my avatar has just spotted your avatar - yum yum