Dvddvd

New B & W 800 series D3..no love

Style is everything. It's why I drive a Skoda.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer
9 hours ago, mainaman said:

I prefer the styling of the previous models too.It is like when Revel Salon and Studio MK2 came out-an improved SQ,but massive disappointment after the Bauhaus design of the originals.

I dont recall anybody calling any Wilson speaker a thing of beauty.The new Wamm looks like a neo-brutalist high-end cuckoo watch.

That's a coincidence, so do I :) 

I wouldn't say the disappointment is massive. Much better in the flesh and for SQ they are on a level with each having particular strengths

FullSizeRender_zps3nvkvrrz.jpg

Miss my WP7'S.......They look and sound stunning Jamie ! Happy xmas.

• Upvote 1

at least you still have your sasha`s and yes they do look good 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, hifinutt said:

at least you still have your sasha`s and yes they do look good 

Cheers Phil yes love my Sasha's too thankfully didn't sell them so still enjoying the Wilson sound !

Ohhhh I don't know I am thinking of using the WAMMS in a 5.1 system......only cost about $2M.....

Despite that attack on my pocket money I do like what they do....and if David ever gets a pair in Europe more than happy to hear them. I suspect they would do scale a little better than my WP6s.

I thought the amplifier in the piccy was quite nicely styled in a Bauhaus way

I love the look of the original and upto the D2.

But this new range is too weird looking, I'm afraid to say that when I win the lotto they won't make the cut on looks alone.

Super Wammer

my wifes got quite a good voice, except when shes nagging about the music being too loud !:nuts:

I fell out of love with B&W a few years ago when I made the disastrous decision to buy some 803D2s. The bass was superb, but everything from the midrange up was hideous. The high frequencies were so exaggerated that acoustic instruments lost all sense of being acoustic. I suppose some parametric EQ applied to the midrange and higher frequencies would salvage the situation. An older pair of 805S that I had were better. 

I haven't forgiven B&W.  Whichever design team led the project should have been sacked. The increasingly bizarre industrial design is also questionable taste, but then weren't B&W bought by a tech company recently, which could explain the speakers' appearance?

They were a once great speaker manufacturer, but are past their best.

Edited by wizons

On 12/23/2016 at 02:09, batteredhaggis said:

Barack Obama

He was born in Kenya, wasn't he? :peace:

Super Wammer

I think you took that hook line and sinker. 

On Thu Dec 22 2016 at 20:44, Blzebub said:

Who cares what a speaker looks like?

Shut your eyes and enjoy the music B|

I think the D2 range got a bit of a bad rep for being bright. They weren't really, they just had to be partnered very carefully and with very high end amplification that had big current delivery.

I had the 800D2's for a year or so and they were very good at what they did. Not at all bright, but the mid range wasn't the most transparent and their biggest failing was a total lack of emotion or soul. They were very good at what they were....just a big studio monitor....

BatteredH

I have the Salons now and would be really interested in how you find the Revels compared to the Wilsons....

Edited by Thetiminator