uzzy

Stylus cleaning Gel .. any problems?

Beware where you purchase this .. I got some and it set solid in the jar .. the retailer Martin Clarke @ Do Good Audio LTD <info@dogoodaudio.co.uk> only sells VPI stuff now and kindly refunded me.

Anyway .. I will stick now to the method I have used for the last 42 years .. a nice short bristle brush damped with the same fluid I use to clean my records (homemade - Triple Distilled Water, Ilford photo stuff and methyl alcohol).  

I tried the magic sponge but as you cannot see anything as such you kind of feel it is not doing anything .. i now use that after the damp brush for belt and braces.   

I have ordered some magic gel from China they sell to clean keyboards and such like .. looks like the same kind of stuff I will let you know ... I read reviews and users recommend keeping it in the fridge as if it warms too much it may not stay as one mass (i.e. may leave bits).  

Edited by uzzy
Retailer refunded when I said I was posting here

Super Wammer

Don't they say that fluid can loosen the adhesive that sticks the stylus to the cantilever or even by carpillary action get inside the cartridge body via
the cantilever.

The magic sponge does work, my piece is getting small dark spots on it/in it so dirt is being removed from the stylus.

Edited by Cas

7 minutes ago, Cas said:

Don't they that fluid can loosen the adhesive that sticks the stylus to the cantilever or even by carpillary action get inside the cartridge body via
the cantilever.

The magic sponge does work, my piece is getting small dark spots on it/in it so dirt is being removed from the stylus.

I am not sure what to believe .. for my sins for many years I used a lenco clean which played records wet and meant the stylus was always wet .. I never had a stylus fall off but it may rust the armature in a decca .. I loved the system in that records were always very quiet and stylus life was extended as it was always lubricated in the groove (provided it didn't fall off which none of mine did).  However, after a few years I realised it was not good ( well we all make mistakes) and so I borrowed a cleaning machine and cleaned all my records .. then bought my own machine so I could always keep them clean and dry :)  

Anyway in summation I doubt cleaning a stylus would subject it to more wetness that the lenco clean did so in my experience I never had a stylus come unglued .. so if they do now the industry needs to look at the adhesives they use today :)

Super Wammer

I currently use the VP dustbuster combined with an AT 637 ultrasonic thingy I bought in the mid 80s. the 637 is brilliant removes anything from the stylus, VP gunk is okay, only use it as was a freebie when spent a  shed load at OL a few months back.

For me onslow zerodust and mr. Proper magic eraser if it is very dirty. Works every time. The magic eraser will remove everything till bare metal. No damage possible if you are gentle. Use original magic eraser not the new improved one.

3 hours ago, Duvet said:

Did you ask them to pay the return  postage ?

They have now kindly refunded me with no more intervention.

Yes.

All can loosen connections/I prefer suitable aptly-evaporating liquids - and for stylus/tape-heads/tobacco-pipe cleaning etc

1 hour ago, D Quinn said:

In matters of cleaning stylus it is better to stick to manufacturer recommendations . Some such as ortofon and Benz frown upon wet cleaning ,

I know, but a damp brush (as opposed to soaking the stylus) will clean more effectively than a dry one .. Audio Technica who produce many cartridges do not have similar warnings and produce their own cleaning fluid .. it is a confusing life isn't it?   However, as a manufacturer it is obvious that soaking the assembly will cause problems so it is a safer recommendation to customers to not use wet cleaning ( to save some people from themselves? )  

Depends upon which cartridge and type of cantilever you have.  Also whether your head-shell is detachable. Hollow (usually aluminium) cantilevers can act as capillary 'tubes', especially if using an AT637 or equivalent with wet pad.  Solid boron cantilevers, usually found on more expensive cart's, do not conduct in this way.

If you have a moving coil with fixed head-shell, wet-cleaned records are almost a must, and whereas the Dust Buster type gel and electronic cleaner are very good, at some stage you're going to have to remove the cart. and wet clean (IPA/water or whatever) with a truncated camel hair paint-brush and jewellers' loupe.

If you've got a detachable head-shell or mag. cart., periodic inspection off the deck using manual clean is a doddle. I.m.e., wet clean, however applied, is the surest way to clean congealed gunk on styli.  Benz certainly advise against anything wet (I have an Ebony), but that's because they use glue to initially align the stylus then a blob to fix it into position. This is most disconcerting as it looks like gunk !.,. The further up the tree you go, the more slot/glue fixing is used (Lyra, Transfig, Koetsu etc.) and this is not a susceptible to wet.

I find dry AT637 works well.

I use VP dust buster for a quick clean if needed during a listening session.

The magic eraser works very well, you have to be very careful, I've bought a couple of used carts that where so dirty you couldn't see the stylus at all for the dirt. A quick clean with magic eraser and they looked like new again. IMHO it definitely works, it just needs a steady hand and a bit of care.

A useful tool is a decent loupe so you can see the difference pre and post cleaning.

I use Moon Gel pads, costs a fiver.

Drummers use them on cymbals to alter the sound.

Works on cleaning styli too

Don't use any solution with IPA in it to clean a stylus. IPA is a solvent and can dissolve the glue holding the diamond on.

Update = I bought this from China for a quid for general dust removal from hard to reach places and lo and behold it works fine as a stylus cleaner - I fitted it in a nice flat profile jar (and put pva tape round the threads to keep a nice tight seal so it doesn't dry out) and lowered an old stylus for test purposes ..  magic ... looking at the size of jar they charge a tenner for you can probably make 10 jars from what they send you for a quid .. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wiper-Cleaner-color-Random-Super-Clean-Cleaning-Compound-for-Keyboard/301935119969?_trksid=p2047675.c100012.m1985&_trkparms=aid%3D777003%26algo%3DDISCL.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D38661%26meid%3Db1184c1e4c754f11880fe61f22e77123%26pid%3D100012%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D272449767713