JamPal

What are you reading?

On ‎24‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 19:35, DIB said:

81GRF8pfRcL.jpg

I'm a big fan of Stuart Maconie's books and I've just started reading this one. A subject that I've I'm aware of but know very little about.

You may find this interesting Dave:

http://rochdaleliteraturefestival.co.uk/whats-on/a-short-evening-with-stuart-maconie/

Next week Stuart is giving a talk on this book at Rochdale Literature festival. I was thinking of attending. I have read his Cider with Roadies book and found it interesting and entertaining.

11 hours ago, Pete the Feet said:

You may find this interesting Dave:

http://rochdaleliteraturefestival.co.uk/whats-on/a-short-evening-with-stuart-maconie/

Next week Stuart is giving a talk on this book at Rochdale Literature festival. I was thinking of attending. I have read his Cider with Roadies book and found it interesting and entertaining.

Cheers, thanks for that.

I actually went to see him a year or two back at Bury Met when he was doing a tour discussing his book "The People's Songs", another good read and thoroughly recommended.

You should also try "Pies and Prejudice", a kind of travel book but funny as hell and full of facts that I did not know.

Currently reading The Body Library by Jeff Noon.

Really enjoyed his novels through the 90s and into the early 2000s then he had a long hiatus from novels but has published a couple recently, this is his second in the series.

Usual wonderful writing style and use of language.

Current reading and re-reading...

Books.thumb.jpg.ebee720fde0edaaf89067c45809e89ee.jpg

Super Wammer

I've had this since April but have been saving it for the 50th Anniversary 4k/HDR film reissue....

6865747A.JPG

"Space Odyssey: Stanley Kubrick, Arthur C. Clarke, and the Making of a Masterpiece" by Michael Benson

On 01/11/2018 at 21:18, parcelmonkey said:

This as advised by my Gastroenterologist to try and alleviate symptoms of stress!

51B2969RUrL._SX325_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I hope it helps mate. Please do pass on your thoughts of it.
One or two books I've read on anxiety have been written for specific issues & used as a general help for other quite unrelated  problems.
I know from bad experience the shiteness of anxiety.
To be messed up is human  - a look in the f**kin car park tells.

Edited by Von Krolock

Just finished the last of the Sherlock Holmes stories from the Collected Edition.

My daily Bible reading has reached Philippians today; it seems to speed up this month to completion on the 31st. Then I start again at Genesis on January 1. It does help that my wife and I read it together aloud. Philippians is one of my favourites too.

image.jpeg

Edited by Von Krolock

Finished today (30th) reading the Bible from Genesis to Revelation in one year.

one day off (31st) and start all over again!

• Sad 1

Read this fascinating book again recently.
A book like no other, written with humour & insight. Its lucidity makes it (usually) easy to read even on subjects like quantum physics -
Even if it's to say that no-one really has a clue how to make sense of sub-atomic particle science.

If there's ever a 'unified theory' perhaps Bill Bryson will write a book about it.

Very interesting chapters on cells & DNA, with the suggestion that the human body is merely a vehicle for the reproduction of DNA.

image.thumb.jpeg.da610f6989f286f05595559478d65199.jpeg