JamPal

What are you reading?

Post a quick precis and or review here if you have read anything interesting recently. Let us know what you recommend.

I will kick off with:

0593052528.jpg

An excellent Christmas present from the Inlaws and a great read. JP really comes accross and it is as though he is telling his own story on Home Truths, as it says in the foreword "you can really hear his voice when you read it."

His wife has a good sense of humour and finishes his story (quite possibly with tears in her eyes) with real affection and in an easy going style that makes for a great read.

Highly recommended for fans of Mr Ravenscroft. If you have no idea who he is then you ought to find out.

:^:^:^:^ out of :^:^:^:^:^

James.

0593052528.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

James I bought it just before Christmas and started to read it last weekend, I think I am about 7/8th’s the way through. As you say definitely recommended for any music fan. It’s a pity he was not able to finish it himself :(the first 1/3rd of the book, which as you know was written by him is quite amusing and I would loved to have read some of his more modern anecdotes.:)

So true. I was dissapointed his writing only got so far. Whe does a sterling job, but ultimately you want to hear more from him. Sad really.

After reading all of Dan Brown's books (yes, I know, I know) I read a couple by a japanese fella called Haruki Murakami, I would reccomend " dance dance dance" by this author.

But, the one that tops them all, which I have very nearly finished, or should I say it has nearly finished with me, such is the extent to which it is fucking with my brain...is...

The Dice Man, by Luke Rinehart

Dice Man ....is indeed a weird book . Read it 25 years ago when I was a student and followed it with William Kotzwinkle - Doctor Rat which is also majorly weird but had a profound effect on the way I saw the world....rather like hearing "New Rose" for the first time.

Glenda

The rules are all around you. The rules that stop you seducing your neighbour, that stop you hitting your boss, that stop you leaving your family and leaving the country. The rules that stop you living.

The dice don’t do rules; the dice do life.

Luke Rhinehart is a psychiatrist, a husband and a father, his life locked down by routine and order — until he picks up the dice. The dice govern his every decision and each throw takes him further into a world of risk, discovery and freedom.

If you haven’t lived the life of the dice, you haven’t lived at all. Let the dice decide. And roll with it.

Super Mod

As previous posters have said - The Dice Man is wonderful.

I'm currently reading: (all on the go at once :oops: )

Gardner Dozois (ed) - Best SF 18

Tom Holt - The Portable Door

Philip Roth - The Plot Against America

K.J. Bishop - The Etched City.

:D

Yes, I read The Dice Man years ago too - a good read if (more than) a little unbelievable (that anyone would be prepared to do such things) at times.

Am currently reading "Tommyland" by/about Tommy Lee, got it for Xmas. What an absolute crate of shite.:off:The Dirt is a million times better, up there with Hammer Of The Gods but obviously less mysticism - one you can't put down.:^

What are you reading?

The instructions on this "Slöbbä" - Inflatable Elk of Love.

Never buy your sex toys in Ikea... :nup: