peteAllen

Your Best "Classical Music" Discoveries of 2016

More of a rediscovery. The string quartets of Michael Tippett, prompted by the new recording by the Heath Quartet. Quite why I put this wonderful music "aside" all those years ago I can't understand. Perhaps the Lindsays didn't really gel with me. Glad to say there are a number of alternative performances available these days.

John Cage 4'32"-if you count it as 'classical'?

Can't stand the sound of violins and feel orchestras generally are so 19th century.

There have been so many splendid releases this year.  Of the many I've acquired I would like to single out the wonderful Mozart 225 new complete edition....200 cd's in a beautiful presentation......nabbed on Amazon for a ridiculous £175 on the day they were reviewed on BBC Radio 3's Record Review.

Of the many other new releases, the following have brought immense pleasure:

La Mascarade, Music for solo baroque guitar and theorbo.....Rolf Lislevand;

Copland, Orchestral Works, volumes 1 and 2.......John Wilson, BBC Phil;

Butterworth, Idyll, rhapsody etc.....Kriss Russman, BBC National Orchestra of Wales.

La Spagna, A Tune Through Three Centuries - joyful, fun music with wonderful instruments. Worth getting in high resolution. Definitely my favourite album of the year!

51+5rwZGmOL.jpg

Rameau: Une Symphonie Imaginaire. Perhaps not for the purists, this is what Rameau might have composed if he'd made a symphony out of his greatest hits. Splendid stuff.

51EGru8Kq3L.jpg

Mendelssohn: Concerto for Piano, Violin and String Orchestra in D Minor [Argerich, Dutoit, Kremer, Orpheus] - in this work of a mere 14 year old, which I hadn't heard before this year, Argerich is spellbinding (I got this on Marth Argerich: The Collection Volume 2 - The Concerto Recordings. Can't vouch for Kremer's Violin Concerto)

mendelssohn+portada.PNG

I know I was a bit late getting this one which had good reviews when it came out three years ago:

Mendelssohn, Felix & Fanny with Quatuor Ebene - exciting, exuberant, stylish, and beautiful playing

MI0003474576.jpg

Super Wammer

max richter recomposed

absolutely lovely version of the 4 seasons

James MacMillan's 'Faux Medieval' choral music.
Beautiful.

th?id=OIP.M24cd3b91a10c1647d241ecc075f359e1o0&pid=Api

Edited by Von Krolock

On 03/12/2016 at 14:45, Hornucopia said:

John Cage 4'32"-if you count it as 'classical'?

Can't stand the sound of violins and feel orchestras generally are so 19th century.

If you don't like classical music that's fine, many people don't. But why the hell bother to post?

Edited by Von Krolock
  • Upvote 2

Bax chamber works.  Picked up for 50p in a charity shop - it is wonderful!

61WG7T2KKPL._SS500.jpg

2 hours ago, Von Krolock said:

If you don't like classical music that's fine, many people don't. But why the hell bother to post?

Balance?

When I get asked in surveys, what race, sex etc., I am, I usually put 'Human (unfortunately)'.

Music doesn't need sub categories.

How do you define 'classical'? (Subject for separate string?)

Edited by Hornucopia

519ICuZHEaL._SS500_PJStripe-Robin-Large,

My best discovery this year is Nyman's saxophone concerto "Where the bee dances" which I first heard at the final of BBC Young Musician.  This performance does it full justice too - just like the amazing performance that night from 17 year old Jess Gillam.  I don't normally go for Nyman, find his minimalism just too dull and too full of baroque pastiche.... but this is an exception.

18 hours ago, bohemian said:

Bax chamber works.  Picked up for 50p in a charity shop - it is wonderful!

61WG7T2KKPL._SS500.jpg

Playing this atm, a la Spotty.
Ooo - very nice.:^
Thanks for the tip.

You should try the string quartets as well.  Lovely.
The opening to #1 is very beautiful and entrancing. :)

https://open.spotify.com/album/1sTJkfoxMUJviLw6wMKhVy

My 2016 classical discoveries are well documented in the bLog thread.

Edited by JANDL100

Super Wammer

Tis was a Xmas  present :)

Sir Colin Davis Anthology (Limited Edition 8 SACD, 4CD, 1DVD plus commemorative book and postcards) Box set, Hybrid SACD, SACD

London Symphony Orchestra (Artist), Berlioz (Composer), Dvorak (Composer), 6 more

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Colin-Anthology-Limited-commemorative-postcards-x/dp/B00IJBYUJ4/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1483077769&sr=1-1&keywords=colin+davis+sacd

Very good quality, and value for money (£22-£35)

Alan

Edited by Radioham

4796486.jpg