What's yer bits'n'bobs?

My Audio Grail 301 finally set up. Partnered with these:

Russ Collinson walnut veneer/birch ply plinth (with cutout for second 9” arm)

Timestep T-612 12” tonearm

SPU Classic GMII.

Sounds SO good :cool:

image.jpg

• Like 3

After a year experimenting with solid state (pm4, audio sector, lfd and crayon audio) time to go back to valves.

2wd0qps.jpg

I took a bit of a chance on these, as they were in Ukraine, but Andrii of Legendary audio went the extra mile and did a wonderful job on packaging, so they landed pretty much as they left him bar a couple of minor issues.

I bought blind, but had been reccomended the Phase Style ltd (PhaSt) brand by a Russian audio acquaintance many years ago, so saw these and pulled the trigger.

2isb31f.jpg

I’m really glad that I did. Think Almarro on steroids ... hugely clean and transparent, wonderful top end and a massive-sound. Zero valve colouration but they have that wonderful texture and decay that the best valve amps do so well. If anything they might be too clean - I plan to have a play with some signal valves to bring in a touch more mid range warmth.

They sound excellent with either the Welford or the matching PhaSt pre, with the former underpinning the sound with better bass reproduction but the Phase Style line stage has the most tremendous width and height. 

Early days, of course, but I think these will be here for a while, with the Crayon audio cfa-1 on vinyl duties via tape out, as it has a first class built in phonostage. That way I can switch it in on warm days, rather than using the class A PhaSt units and being forced to listen in my pants. 😬

Edited by lordmortlock
  • Like 4

Super Wammer

Ooh they look a bit nice Jake, nice one.

1 hour ago, macvisual said:

Jake, they look fabulous..! What kind of power output do those valve monos produce? Gorgeous looking monos!! Enjoy

Peter

Cheers chaps. They’re 18w Peter, which is plenty for the XL horns. 

18 hours ago, Nagraboy said:

My Audio Grail 301 finally set up. Partnered with these:

Russ Collinson walnut veneer/birch ply plinth (with cutout for second 9” arm)

Timestep T-612 12” tonearm

SPU Classic GMII.

Sounds SO good :cool:

image.jpg

It is images of Garrard T/T that make me want one- lovely!:notworthy:

• Like 2

Super Wammer
On 18/03/2019 at 08:35, lordmortlock said:

After a year experimenting with solid state (pm4, audio sector, lfd and crayon audio) time to go back to valves.

I took a bit of a chance on these, as they were in Ukraine, but Andrii of Legendary audio went the extra mile and did a wonderful job on packaging, so they landed pretty much as they left him bar a couple of minor issues.

I bought blind, but had been reccomended the Phase Style ltd (PhaSt) brand by a Russian audio acquaintance many years ago, so saw these and pulled the trigger.

I’m really glad that I did. Think Almarro on steroids ... hugely clean and transparent, wonderful top end and a massive-sound. Zero valve colouration but they have that wonderful texture and decay that the best valve amps do so well. If anything they might be too clean - I plan to have a play with some signal valves to bring in a touch more mid range warmth.

They sound excellent with either the Welford or the matching PhaSt pre, with the former underpinning the sound with better bass reproduction but the Phase Style line stage has the most tremendous width and height. 

Early days, of course, but I think these will be here for a while, with the Crayon audio cfa-1 on vinyl duties via tape out, as it has a first class built in phonostage. That way I can switch it in on warm days, rather than using the class A PhaSt units and being forced to listen in my pants. 😬

Jake, they look amazing and I assume all your building work is now done and they should sound fantastic in the reconfigured room.

Nick

Super Wammer

No pics yet ...so I'm teasing but after driver issues on my transmission line bass /sub bass speakers at Keggie I was considering fitting new 'conventional' drivers in the cabs......then I found a pair of subs on eBay 😀.  Off to collect them next week ......they use Volt 18" drivers 😀😀😀😀 - with a new set of cabs they will make the earth move 

• Like 1

On 19/03/2019 at 10:38, Fourlegs said:

Jake, they look amazing and I assume all your building work is now done and they should sound fantastic in the reconfigured room.

Nick

Cheers Nick! Yep, building work all done and it was well worth it, it’s made for a lovely space. Hope you’re well, living vicariously through your speaker adventures btw ... very very cool