What's yer bits'n'bobs?

Super Wammer
On 19/02/2019 at 20:39, yoda900 said:

Hi Peter,

Chinese. Second hand. Acquired Saturday. Switchable from 25W Class A up to Class A/B 242W Max 200W RMS with switchable feedback. Push/Pull design.  All new tubes so still running in.  Soundstage is immense on vinyl. Probably larger than life size if you are not careful with the  volume control, even on the low Class A setting.

Sophisticated auto bias as the touch of a button.

Not a delicate SE sound on the cheap though. SE amps on my speakers in my room,  211/845,  tend to run out of steam below realistic volumes on heavy rock/ electronica but other genres are well catered for by them.

These will blow your ears before they give up so are a great compromise doing justice to loud music but also delicate on girl/guitar/ambient as called for. This evening have listened to Queen, Sade , Rory Gallagher, Kings of Convenience, Tori Amos, Rag'n'Bone Man etc.

.......so you've got fed up of waiting for the Mings eh 😏

• Like 1

Super Wammer

Big. Shiny. Lots of glowing things. Couldn't resist. Lots of running in to be done. Endless hours of music. It's a hard job but someone has to do it.

some small updates , bell canto monos ref 1000mk2's in and  diy skyline diffuser installed and some ruggage ! still to do 6 acoustic panels which im currently fabricating .

image00002_zpsn3bz1bwe.jpeg

• Like 2

Using the CXN as a DAC on the refurbished VRDS 7 and sounds pretty damn good!

52504462-7148-4781-AAD5-C77B0404A1F4.jpeg

• Like 2

On 19/02/2019 at 19:32, yoda900 said:

Updated photo added. They are " adequate"  :D

All of the Doge stuff I have heard (the mono's and the CDP :D ) have sounded astounding and been exceptionally good vfm.

Here is a picture of my new speakers, Klipsch RP0600Ms:

37251738_KlipschRP600M.thumb.jpg.812fb688cc09416be480bcff2d35b792.jpg

I bought them after reading Steve Guttenberg's rave review here:

https://www.cnet.com/news/the-klipsch-reference-premiere-600m-is-the-audiophiliac-speaker-of-the-year/

After adding a load of acoustic treatement to my living room I found I was needing to turn up the volume a bit more on my Glow Amp One when it was driving my 85 db/watt Tannoy Autograph Minis. The Glow is only 5 watts per channel and was just about OK with digital and FM radio inputs. But my Puresound P10 phono amp lacks gain though and even with the volume turned right up it wasn't really going loud enough. I was thinking of spending about 3 grand on either a Primaluna or Leben valve amp, and then possibly getting a pair of Tannoy Eatons. After reading the RP-600M review and how it was 96 db/watt efficient, it occurred to me that I could fix the insufficient loudness on vinyl by changing the speakers rather than the amp. Instead of needing to spending about 3 grand, I could spend about a fifth that on the speakers. I don't know of any other speaker which is easy to buy in Spain and the UK, costs a lot less that 1000 pounds and is 96 db/watt - it seems to be in a class of its own. Or possibly too good to be true.

After the Klipschs arrived I hit a problem - the Glow Amp had a small amount of hum which wasn't too bad with the Autograph Minis, but was louder and annoying with the Klipschs. I sent the amp off to Valveblock at Ampregen to have a look. Graeme found it was a faulty mains capacitor which was causing the hum. He did a great job fixing that, and also removed the headphone circuitry and wired the speaker outputs directly to the speaker sockets, instead of going via the cheapo headphone socket, which I felt was just something else to get corroded and distort or start humming.

Now the Klipschs are pretty much broken in, they sound fantastic. They are really fun to listen to with a great jump factor and loads of detail and clarity. The bass is more extended than it was with the Tannoys, and really clear and articulate. The treble was slightly bright at first, but it now sounds pretty even and the speaker is pretty neutral after break in - or maybe I've got used to it.

I was interested in reading the recent thread omn the Wam about cheap Chinese valve amps - I think they would be a great match like the Glow is. Or a Puresound A10 would be more than enough at 10 watts per channel. Then you can get a horn and valve amp based system with more than just a taste of the sort of thing that normally starts at 7-10k and up for a single ended amp and horns combo.

• Like 2

Hi Rdale

What make are your gold/bronze acoustic panels? Really nice, I could get those past the Mrs ok.....

4 hours ago, Thetiminator said:

Hi Rdale

What make are your gold/bronze acoustic panels? Really nice, I could get those past the Mrs ok.....

The two panels either side of the equipment stand are GIK Impression Series  Digiwave 150 mm deep.:

https://gikacoustics.co.uk/product/impression-150mm-bass-trap-diffusor-absorber/

The grey panel in the middle is two Vicoustic DC2 Multifusers, and the thing that looks like an eye is a GIK Gotham 2d quadratic diffuser.

Some new stuff to play with arrived today.

First to arrive were Douglas's (BoardsofCanada) AE2's. Photo of one adjacent to one of my Anthony Gallo's.

IMG_20190227_163031.thumb.jpg.f124f1cf4cfc46fb94732d3212d6fc02.jpg

And secondly a new Preamp and Power amplifier from IOTA

IMG_20190227_123513.thumb.jpg.c6cad917267ed09032ef9a8495a8474c.jpg

All connected up and having a bit of fun comparing it with my existing kit.  No firm conclusions drawn yet as to which is best/most enjoyable.

• Like 1