Kegworth Show Information

The information for this year's show is now live at www.thehifishow.com or by clicking on the show banner below.

NON EXHIBITOR ROOMS NOW OPEN - Special Offer....Stay Saturday, join in all the build up excitement on Sat night and then gain FREE access to the show on Sunday

LAST MINUTE WAM HIFI SHOW AVAILABILITY - ONLY A FEW EXHIBITOR ROOMS LEFT - ONLY 5 SLEEP ONLY ROOMS LEFT - ONLY 3 BIG SYSTEM SPACES LEFT

What's yer bits'n'bobs?

18 minutes ago, bigfool1956 said:

I have to say it's a really good amp. As you said, it's incredibly clean. It also manages to pull off the trick of adding weight and heft to the instruments without bolstering the bass. In fact the bass is so controlled it feels like it's been lessened - until it needs it, then wallop. 

Jack was just round having a listen and he was impressed despite the lack of glowing bottles.

Must be good then ;-)

2 hours ago, Bazzer said:

This looks utterly sexy with the glowing Vu meters and that scrolling blue light :)

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Tarzan said:

Hello fellow Vincent owner.:rockin:

Hi there, I absolutely worship my Vincent - which one do you have?

Super Wammer
4 hours ago, batteredhaggis said:

Nice one John. Look forward to hearing that. Was that one from the Emporium by chance?

I wish. 

No, got it from wam classifieds, been enjoying it since Thursday. 

You'll be able to have a listen at the next BO in May. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, knaithrover said:

Hi there, I absolutely worship my Vincent - which one do you have?

237MK with Harma STR valves and Gold Lion 12AX7 in the window spot, l agree it is a great amp upgrading the valves made a nice difference in sound especially The Gold Lion.:cool:

More than happy with it, the tone controls are a Godsend in my room.:sofa:

33 minutes ago, Tarzan said:

237MK with Harma STR valves and Gold Lion 12AX7 in the window spot, l agree it is a great amp upgrading the valves made a nice difference in sound especially The Gold Lion.:cool:

More than happy with it, the tone controls are a Godsend in my room.:sofa:

I have put a tung sol 12AX7 in the window seat and it made a difference to the top end definitely - I have Gold Lions in my Phono pre and agree they are something special quite an upgrade. I have tone controls in all my set ups, heresy to some people but indispensable to me. My Vincent is the 1st amp I've ever bought that I've considered a keeper.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, knaithrover said:

I have put a tung sol 12AX7 in the window seat and it made a difference to the top end definitely - I have Gold Lions in my Phono pre and agree they are something special quite an upgrade. I have tone controls in all my set ups, heresy to some people but indispensable to me. My Vincent is the 1st amp I've ever bought that I've considered a keeper.

Yep, it certainly ticks all the boxes alright- next stop Mullard NOS.:nerves:

Did you upgrade the valves behind the window position by any chance?:geek:

Edited by Tarzan

5 hours ago, Tarzan said:

Yep, it certainly ticks all the boxes alright- next stop Mullard NOS.:nerves:

Did you upgrade the valves behind the window position by any chance?:geek:

Well, funny you should say that I tried a pair of Tung Sol 12AX7's behind and...no sound. I'm assuming a different type is required and the manual is no help, not a lot on line either........

Edited by knaithrover
Misspelling

On instruction from her I've just had the speakers re-finished to match the new decor....black leather with a bit of gold leather down the horn to break it up a bit. Not my favourite finish but way better than the old faded oak colour and much less imposing. They do fade into the background more, to give you an idea they're 9ft ceilings and a 75" TV and note how titchy the amps look....and if it keeps the peace.... ¬¬

IMG_9187_zpsldjyxrdq.jpg

Edited by Thetiminator
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, knaithrover said:

Well, funny you should say that I tried a pair of Tung Sol 12AX7's behind and...no sound. I'm assuming a different type is required and the manual is no help, not a lot on line either........

That is odd, do you have the 236 or the 236 mk?

46 minutes ago, Tarzan said:

That is odd, do you have the 236 or the 236 mk?

Straight 236 

I would get on to the distributor  regarding the matter as it worthwhile.:)

• Upvote 1

On 12/02/2019 at 20:35, Thetiminator said:

On instruction from her I've just had the speakers re-finished to match the new decor....black leather with a bit of gold leather down the horn to break it up a bit. Not my favourite finish but way better than the old faded oak colour and much less imposing. They do fade into the background more, to give you an idea they're 9ft ceilings and a 75" TV and note how titchy the amps look....and if it keeps the peace.... ¬¬

IMG_9187_zpsldjyxrdq.jpg

Fade into the background more.......:rofl:

Continuing the loft system saga, unearthing, resurrecting, repairing and re-using stuff (Concordant pre, Ming Da EL84 power, Daphile music server on an old laptop, £5 DVD player for CDs, Heybrook HB3s via Spirit of the Wam, etc), I rooted out the old Sugden Connoisseur BD2 turntable that has laid dormant for 20 years, found an AT 10E cartridge and set them up.  After sorting the short in the phono lead, and giving the motor a kick, I now have a working (ish) TT in the loft too.  Nowhere to put it, and it jumps if I so much as breathe (springy loft floor), but still!  I could find my old cassette deck, but I don't have any cassettes, so I won't. :D 

My wife has to phone me to get my attention now. :roll:

47032826062_e66f642a9e_c.jpg

I still have another three power amps, an analogue active crossover, Shackman electrostatic HF panels, SEAS tweeters, mids and bass drivers;  I could go full active!  Or get a life. :nup:

Edited by awkwardbydesign
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 13/02/2019 at 22:38, awkwardbydesign said:

Fade into the background more.......:rofl:

Compared to his wife, yes...!

(apologies to the OP for taking a picture from his feed)

IMG_9192_zpsxvv7adcg.jpg?w=480&h=480&fit

• Haha 1