leenorris78

Cart needed for Trichord dino and Technics 1210

Hi all,

I have a Trichord Dino NC and a technics 1210.

I have a Denon DL-160 (now in a draw) which lost its stylus. The cantilever is still in place. I replaced this short term with an Audio Technica AT95e, now a year old. I like both of these carts but the denon needs fixing and the AT does not track some of my 12 inch bass records. I think that the AT might be more fun but cannot remember what the Denon sounded like.

I have read that the Trichord works best with MC carts. Is this true? Will a MM not sound as good? Should i bite the bullet and get the Denon DL-160 repaired?

I have about £150 to spend on improving the sound. I would also be happy to look at second hand.

Many thanks in advance for your help. Lee

I have an Ortofon 2M Red on my Techie/ Dino and it sounds great for the money.

I've been using the brilliant AT440MLa moving magnet cartridge for well over a year now, really excellent sounding cart for the money!!

Or try pick up a Len Gregory Music Maker 3.

I run a Goldring 1012 with my Dino, no problem, sounds as good, probably better than the budget MC I used previously.

Cheers BB

I would recommend a used Goldring 2500 if you can find one. It has a lively and bright balance which helps counteract the dark, shut in nature which the Technics has in standard guise. It is one of the best cartridge matches for the Technics ime. I would also replace the stock rubber mat with a Funk Achromat or a cheaper equivalent mat made of a foamex type material.

I would also consider a used Denon 301 MK2 or Ortofon Quintet blue if looking at MC options.

4 hours ago, freefallrob said:

The Ortofon 2M Blue sounds great on the Techy.

I've used an Ortofon Blue with my Dino too and it sounded fine. 

Many thanks for the input.

I will try to source one of the more expensive (better?) carts from the classifieds but, failing that, I'll go for the classy looking Ortofon or the AT (new they are about the same price).

MM would make more sense as I can swap in the AT95e when playing dirty records without too much faff.

Is there much between the old AT440MLa and AT440MLb?

Edited by leenorris78

I decided to go with the AT440MLB. Its new, in the correct price range and apparently the top end can be tamed with the slidy switches on the bottom of the Trichord Dino.

I'll report back once its set up and run in.

Cheers all.

Lee

I've had this cart in for about 10 hours playback time and it does sound rather good. I have none of the brightness in the sound that others report. I guess the secret to good vinyl playback is having the controls on the phono amp. Listened to FKA Twigs, Chemical Brothers, Kiasmos, Moderat, Kaiser Chiefs and a few others.

I'm a very happy man and, as usual, am now thinking what more money could buy 9_9 but I'll save that for later as I have other pressing needs at the moment.

Maybe the next move will be an arm upgrade.

Many thanks again to all of you that contributed.

I have an AT 440 mlb with 60 hrs on it, bought new by me. Let me know if you're interested 

Gary

should learn to read all the postsxD

Edited by H20gna
Doh