Pete the Feet

Emerson Lake and Palmer Tribute Gig

Recommended Posts

Super Wammer
3 minutes ago, Pete the Feet said:

A great Saturday night band are ACDC and their tributes. No pretensions just rock and roll.

On a cheerfully maudlin note a mate of mine passed away a few weeks ago and ACDC were his favourite band. One of the last things he managed to say to his daughter sounded like Rosie. Anyway as they were clearing out his barge on which he lived at Hebden Bridge, she took a breather and sat in Kenny's easy chair. The stereo was at arms length so she pressed the play button and both she and her brother were nearly deafened by A Whole Lotta Rosie blasting out of the stereo. Needless to say the service was played out to that damn fine tune at the crem. I'm not one for music at funerals but that seemed to fit the bill.

That's what I like about their music, it's simple and straight forward. I had a big grin on my face most of the time, love it.

A good friend of mine died a short while ago. I visited him a few times before he died, and I can remember having a conversation about bands that we liked, in part we had very similar tastes. Two songs that we talked about and both really liked were 'The Scientist' by Coldplay and 'Wild West Hero' by ELO. Both tunes were played at his funeral. A bit eerie, but fitting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ELO's Mr Blue Sky cropped up at another mates funeral several years ago. His son picked it and it made me smile thinking that him and his son would have joined in at the end where the choral part is as me and Tony did in his car in our youth. A very moving moment.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer

I do love those sweeping melodies that ELO do so well.

Digressing somewhat, but still ceremonial, a good work mate got married a couple of years ago. He walked down the aisle (civic wedding) to the tune 'Highway To Hell'. A bit of a surprise as he waited outside before the wedding, he bumped into and chatted with, Ronnie Wood. Strange day... :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well the gig was a good one last night, playing to a packed house. I've never seen as many people attend one of his gigs. A really diverse set of people and a great bunch. Some had travelled from overseas, a couple of guys I were talking to were from Essex and North London. A few people in the business were also there, sound engineers, studio builders and musicians.

Of course Tom had his issues with the modular Moog wandering out of tune but he managed to work around it and the band really nailed it. I missed the first 5-10 minutes but Karn Evil 9 was in full flow as I arrived. Many of the favourites played such as Endless Enigma, Rondo [The Nice], Tarkus which was well received, Fanfare and a new one Pirates which when he told me he was going to do it a few months ago I wasn't impressed. Anyhow it worked well live and went down a storm.

The poor old Hammond took a battering with the knives, was rocked and quite literally ridden around the stage before he threw it off the stage and continued playing it in the audience area. The pyrotechnics on the ribbon controller went off with a bang. Even Tom's 90 year old Mum got up at the interval and read a letter out from Keith Emerson offering his condolences when Tom senior passed away. She then read a self penned poem out and drew the raffle. Not bad going for a 90 year old!

All in all a belting night:

Edited by Pete the Feet
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
5 hours ago, Pete the Feet said:

Well the gig was a good one last night, playing to a packed house. I've never seen as many people attend one of his gigs. A really diverse set of people and a great bunch. Some had travelled from overseas, a couple of guys I were talking to were from Essex and North London. A few people in the business were also there, sound engineers, studio builders and musicians.

Of course Tom had his issues with the modular Moog wandering out of tune but he managed to work around it and the band really nailed it. I missed the first 5-10 minutes but Karn Evil 9 was in full flow as I arrived. Many of the favourites played such as Endless Enigma, Rondo [The Nice], Tarkus which was well received, Fanfare and a new one Pirates which when he told me he was going to do it a few months ago I wasn't impressed. Anyhow it worked well live and went down a storm.

The poor old Hammond took a battering with the knives, was rocked and quite literally ridden around the stage before he threw it off the stage and continued playing it in the audience area. The pyrotechnics on the ribbon controller went off with a bang. Even Tom's 90 year old Mum got up at the interval and read a letter out from Keith Emerson offering his condolences when Tom senior passed away. She then read a self penned poem out and drew the raffle. Not bad going for a 90 year old!

All in all a belting night:

Sounds like a great gig, this. Emerson evidently rated them, seeing as he joined them onstage. Their website was interesting reading. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sounds like a great gig, this. Emerson evidently rated them, seeing as he joined them onstage. Their website was interesting reading. 

Tom used to email him, phone him and collar Keith backstage and ask him how to play certain parts. He used to refer to Tom as his protege.
Tom's Hammond was used by ELP at the Vee festival in London.
When he joined them onstage it was a surprise for Tom, arranged by the guitarist and the landlord of Keith's local.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer

It's nice (sorry, just realised the pun, here) to see that Keith was so willing to give his time and pass on his knowledge and experience. I'll hope that Tom and the other band members play a gig in my area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
1 minute ago, Gizza said:

I'll hope that Tom and the other band members play a gig in my area.

Likewise.

Sounds like it was a great gig Pete :^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
6 hours ago, Pete the Feet said:

Here's an earlier gig

I clicked on it without reading the heading. When Keith came on I thought "who the hell is this pushing in, the local drunk?" :D

Awesome :^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is Birmingham local enough? Birmingham Symphony Hall on the 28th July 2017.

https://www.thsh.co.uk/event/keith-emerson-a-musical-celebration-of-life

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Edited by Pete the Feet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
5 hours ago, Pete the Feet said:

Is Birmingham local enough? Birmingham Symphony Hall on the 28th July 2017.

https://www.thsh.co.uk/event/keith-emerson-a-musical-celebration-of-life

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Looks likely to be a good night. A bit far, but certainly doable. Someone I need to get in touch with, up in 'Brum'...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
20 minutes ago, Old Git said:

Looks likely to be a good night. A bit far, but certainly doable. Someone I need to get in touch with, up in 'Brum'...

Oh, and thanks :^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was out for a drink and a bite to eat with Tom the other night and I asked him what the crack was with the Birmingham gig. He said he was initially down to play one number at the beginning of the night as Rick Wakeman and several others are on. Anyway he'd just had a call off the organiser Jim Davidson and he said he was now being put on last! Now that's quite something! It should be an interesting night. I hope some of you Wammers can make it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.