Kegworth Show Information

The information for this year's show is now live at www.thehifishow.com or by clicking on the show banner below.

NON EXHIBITOR ROOMS NOW OPEN - Special Offer....Stay Saturday, join in all the build up excitement on Sat night and then gain FREE access to the show on Sunday

LAST MINUTE WAM HIFI SHOW AVAILABILITY - ONLY A FEW EXHIBITOR ROOMS LEFT - ONLY 5 SLEEP ONLY ROOMS LEFT - ONLY 3 BIG SYSTEM SPACES LEFT

Audio Al

Where next after Impulse H6's

58 minutes ago, bandit pilot said:

H2's.;-)

On 19/11/2016 at 08:33, Audio Al said:

Hi Mr Rabs

I felt they were very good low to mid volume but fell to pieces at higher volume , difficult to explain , sort of sounded overdriven and on the edge 

Amp compatibility?

I would have suggested keeping them and trying a lower-powered SET, but that's obviously no longer possible.

H2s? Otherwise, my obvious suggestion would be Living Voice, but that does depend on the room.

Just now, rabski said:

Amp compatibility?

I would have suggested keeping them and trying a lower-powered SET, but that's obviously no longer possible.

H2s? Otherwise, my obvious suggestion would be Living Voice, but that does depend on the room.

Room compatibility being the elephant. LV's sound great in the right setup, but can boom like a bugger in the wrong room. 

I've used H2's with everything from a 211SET to a 500w integrated and got great results. YMMV of course, but we can only go on experience. The true 3 way nature of the H2's means that your ears wil give up before the speakers do. :D

I had a pair of H6's.( I had read all the Jimmy Hughes stuff about the H2s in 'Answers' and was impressed. That started me thinking about Horns and, after a long road that required going active i've ended up with a multiway active horn system (5 ways); but as a starter I went for the H6's)

You can do a lot better than H6s. I wasnt impressed. They are too small, the tweeter is dim (in a comparison with a similar price speaker) and poor value for money.

So it is bad advice to look for another pair.

I have also heard a pair of H2s. I took my Snell E's on a mini tour which took in, amongst others, a pair of Living Voices in Brighton and H2s in West London. I wouldnt put you off the latter, though the drivers may well need reconing..I've also think LVs give good results.

Other than that I am totally out of touch with the domestic off the shelf speaker market so I havent any recommendations.

What I feel confident in saying is the H6s are nothing special and are a poor excuse for a horn loudspeaker.

Jack NSM

On ‎21‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 20:13, Non-Smoking Man said:

I had a pair of H6's.( I had read all the Jimmy Hughes stuff about the H2s in 'Answers' and was impressed. That started me thinking about Horns and, after a long road that required going active i've ended up with a multiway active horn system (5 ways); but as a starter I went for the H6's)

You can do a lot better than H6s. I wasnt impressed. They are too small, the tweeter is dim (in a comparison with a similar price speaker) and poor value for money.

So it is bad advice to look for another pair.

I have had mine since 1991.  They have seen off loads of attempts to replace them.  They are natural open and above all fun.  They are not accurate and are probably more a quarter wave loaded TL rather than a horn.  Above all they are fairly even tempered and will play anything and play well quietly.  They are edgy and ragged when the wick is turned up I must admit.  I had h2's and they are massive in every respect but my room is quite small so they over powered it.  I never got on with LV's and always felt they were a bit too stiff and prim and proper.

The tweeter is edgy and a bit harsh sounding that is why mine have had Paul at RFC sort them out.  In actual fact in deference to Jack NSM there is little Impulse DNA left in mine just the cabinet.  They have had new drivers, new tweeters, new crossover, new internal wiring and an external revamp!!

On ‎19‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 08:33, Audio Al said:

Hi Mr Rabs

I felt they were very good low to mid volume but fell to pieces at higher volume , difficult to explain , sort of sounded overdriven and on the edge 

Your description above is spot on.  I love mine but didn't like the edge they had when loud.  The cure was an RFC overhaul and new SEAS tweeters.

Impulse lalis perhaps? Or look at odeon speakers. Quite a popular make in Germany but no distributor here, so you'll be importing ... not ideal with the current exchange rate, granted. 

The rigoettos I have are actually quite a similar design to the lalis. As with several horn loaded designs (lalis included) you have to get used to the sound 'sitting back' in touch, but they're wonderfully dynamic and play as loud as you'd ever need with an 18w Almarro. 

They're pretty easy on the eye too. 

IMG_9649.JPG

Edited by lordmortlock

A pair of H2's will be auditioned , Hope they give the sound I am looking for :D

4 hours ago, Audio Al said:

A pair of H2's will be auditioned , Hope they give the sound I am looking for :D

They are very different to H6's, but weirdly similar sounding.  But bigger in every way. 

14 hours ago, Audio Al said:

My H6's are gone . on the way to Devon :(

You can borrow mine Mr Wells- in exchange for some poncy Kwoffee.:)

I have had the h2S nice speakers but again i found them a tad ragged with the wick turned up I kept a pair of LV obxr2s in preference over the H2s which i felt were more musical and engaging also far easier to look at. I have since got a pair of Avantgard Unos and they are a real step up from both IMHO. Far greater clarity and resolution. Greater Dynamics and flow to the music. Effortlessly loud and never harsh or ragged. No strain at all to pick any instrument in the mix and follow it and a complete lack of box coloration. Downside is they are more expensive and somewhat large even compared to the H2s. Having said all that i could still happily live with H2s or LVs if circumstances changed.

In standard form the Focal inverted tweeter of H2/ Ta'us will sound too much especially with the volume turned up to relatively loud listening levels.  A couple of us Impulse owners have had the tweeters replaced and crossover work to make them sound better than they ever could in factory condition.

22 hours ago, crimsondonkey said:

In standard form the Focal inverted tweeter of H2/ Ta'us will sound too much especially with the volume turned up to relatively loud listening levels.  A couple of us Impulse owners have had the tweeters replaced and crossover work to make them sound better than they ever could in factory condition.

The H6's are an easy all day listen with a new seas tweeter instead of the rough focal one.  Can't speak for the H2 conversion but I have read a lot of good things about it.

On ‎28‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 20:30, toms wait said:

The H6's are an easy all day listen with a new seas tweeter instead of the rough focal one.  Can't speak for the H2 conversion but I have read a lot of good things about it.

Or with Audio Innovations Series 500 driving them..... incredibly smoooooooove and highly musical. ( Well in my room any road.) Quite memorable actually.:D