Proteus

Best High End Pre Amp ( Solid State )

Recommended Posts

On 2017-1-10 at 17:49, uzzy said:

Ask 1000 people and get 997 different answers .. have to get your arse in gear and go out and listen and use your own ears and see what you like best :)

This will give most high end pre-amps a run for their money all for less than £100 and maybe as low as £30 .. the undeniably superb Hafler DH101 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/David-Hafler-DH-101-preamplifier-/112264731332?hash=item1a237fdac4:g:tuAAAOSwImRYdTTE ... for those feeling their bass is a bit lacking or they wish a little more treble presence it even has tone controls (god forbid) but they are defeatable on the front panel .. 

 

I'm very impressed with Hafler products. The DH-101 was pretty good, my favourite was the DH110.

As to others, I current have a Pink Triangle PIP on my bench, and it's superb.  I'm also a big fan of the Quad 44 for sheer flexibility, but if audio transparency is the aim, then it doesn't (and can't!) get any better than a resistive passive, provided impedances and cable lengths are taken into account.

S.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer

so far I have had 3 tom evans vibes , about 6 music first pre amps including the mfa baby ref , bel cant pre 3, vbs and non vbs models , and  a few more I can`t remember . I have had the grandinote proemio in the system for a few weeks now and sadly it has to go back very soon so is available to demo . I would be extremely interested if any one tries it against a vitus pre or boulder or krell or any other pre in that league .

certainly it has that je ne se quoi that some  ss amps lack , occasionally I have found them slightly clinical . the proemio has texture , is very addictive . last night I was up high in the symphony hall listening to chopin no 1 in a very good concert . it was a bit too far away for me and I actually found myself thinking I wish I was at home listening to the piano on this pre . the attack of the notes is rather good and sounds just like a piano should

I hope to compare the eminently excellent modwright valve dm pre against this proemio next week . it is most certainly on a par from memory though  

Edited by hifinutt
to clarify models of mfa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Three of us compared the older Dartzeel model to Ypsilon PST 1. It was the equal on the Dartzeel, the Ypsilon edged ahead when we brought in the constellation inspiration. But don't forget Dartzeel has an excellent built in phono.

However then we brought in AR ref 10 and it blew both the others away...so much more muscle, soundstage, depth, bass. The external power supply has made it much better than the earlier models. AR always had midrange and the air, but this model has much better separation, muscle, depth, and bass. 

In SS, other preamps to consider is Dagostino but never compared it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer

what older dartzeel was that kedar ?

I omitted my favourite pre is the arc ref 5se as its a valve , but that WAS something ,

Edited by hifinutt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
Astutely observed. They possibly still have a 1970s aesthetic in terms of tech and architecture. I couldn't possibly comment on the charms of Polish women.

My wife is a product of a wartime romance and subsequent lifelong marriage. She is exotically half-Belgian and half-Polish though slightly less exotically born and bred in Wolverhampton (hence exotic West Mids accent). Inspired by this turn of the conversation, I think I'm going to start referring to her as a hybrid. That should go down well I think.

PS. She has a 1960s aesthetic which I continue to find rather pleasing; more pleasing than she finds my own 1959 north-of-England aesthetic apparently.

Ah yes, I see what you mean, too much information.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, SergeAuckland said:

I'm very impressed with Hafler products. The DH-101 was pretty good, my favourite was the DH110.

As to others, I current have a Pink Triangle PIP on my bench, and it's superb.  I'm also a big fan of the Quad 44 for sheer flexibility, but if audio transparency is the aim, then it doesn't (and can't!) get any better than a resistive passive, provided impedances and cable lengths are taken into account.

S.

The Pip 2 has a passive option (buffered) with sealed gold relays for the switching (and none of those bloody DIN sockets).  Glad you're enjoying the PIP, but I still think its strongest point is its phono input and RIAA stage.  Maybe you could borrow a 4th turntable to try it  :S  I can let you have the DIL header settings for MM or MC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Pinkie said:

The Pip 2 has a passive option (buffered) with sealed gold relays for the switching (and none of those bloody DIN sockets).  Glad you're enjoying the PIP, but I still think its strongest point is its phono input and RIAA stage.  Maybe you could borrow a 4th turntable to try it  :S  I can let you have the DIL header settings for MM or MC

Yes please!

I'm just testing the RIAA input, it's currently set to MC, judging by the amount of gain, (around 65dB) and it has a superb overload margin of 16mV at 1kHz.  

I haven't yet checked RIAA accuracy, but would be surprised if it was out by any sensible amount, given that 0.5dB accuracy is fairly easily achieved.

I'll try it later on my third turntable which has an Ortofon MC15 on it.

S. 

Edited by SergeAuckland
Tenses!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, SergeAuckland said:

Yes please!

S. 

 

I've PM'd them to you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have an ATC SCA2 which is nice, been hoping to try a comparison with a passive like the Hattor, but it's not something you can audition really with them coming from Poland.

Edited by mfin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, TheFlash said:


My wife is a product of a wartime romance and subsequent lifelong marriage. She is exotically half-Belgian and half-Polish though slightly less exotically born and bred in Wolverhampton (hence exotic West Mids accent). Inspired by this turn of the conversation, I think I'm going to start referring to her as a hybrid. That should go down well I think.

PS. She has a 1960s aesthetic which I continue to find rather pleasing; more pleasing than she finds my own 1959 north-of-England aesthetic apparently.

Ah yes, I see what you mean, too much information.

Hybrid, that will do nicely - she will, I am sure, appreciate that it is classier than mongrel.  BTW, not too much information, unless you are going to tell us she is active or passive or warm-up times.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
Hybrid, that will do nicely - she will, I am sure, appreciate that it is classier than mongrel.  BTW, not too much information, unless you are going to tell us she is active or passive or warm-up times.

Loving this post!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moderator
2 hours ago, mfin said:

I have an ATC SCA2 which is nice, been hoping to try a comparison with a passive like the Hattor, but it's not something you can audition really with them coming from Poland.

Where are you? I have a Hattor here and it would be good to compare?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.