Blackmetalboon

Trying to embrace the modern world, but hopelessly lost!

Super Wammer

If you are happy with the PC into your Dac then I would suggest that you take a look and consider using a Raspberry Pi as your server with a USB HD attached (these are silent or as near to it as I can find) .This can either be in your music room or next to your router in another room .

Then all you need is an SBT or even another Pi with DAC and you can plug this straight in to your system all told with power supplys , cases and software (Max2play for Server, DBPoweramp for ripping CD's ) should not cost much more than £150 for the setup plus additional for the HD .

All of the above once plugged in and working just goes on in the back ground while you control things from your smart phone or ipad .

On 07/11/2016 at 21:29, Old Git said:

I'm looking at getting one of these...

http://www.innuos.com/en/catalog/go/zen-mk2-std

I've got one. And I was in a similar position to you. I use it with an M-Dac+ and they go together well.

Rather excellent and makes ripping and streaming a doddle. However, they have had a Price hike post Brexit that has made them expensive. I'm just over 2 hours down the M4 from Bristol if you want to check it out/have a listen.

Super Wammer
15 hours ago, henchard said:

I've got one. And I was in a similar position to you. I use it with an M-Dac+ and they go together well.

Rather excellent and makes ripping and streaming a doddle. However, they have had a Price hike post Brexit that has made them expensive. I'm just over 2 hours down the M4 from Bristol if you want to check it out/have a listen.

A most kind offer, thanks. I mentioned this in another thread, but as it stands, I anticipate that I'll be able to afford one later on next year. My amp(Rotel RA1570) has it's own inbuilt DAC, not a bad one by all accounts. As you say, a bit pricey, but I like the simplicity of it in a single box, and it won't look out of place on the rack. It will of course render my CD player redundant, which is  a bit of a pain, given it's had very little use.

Super Wammer
On 08/11/2016 at 22:18, Tw99 said:

It's a good idea to rip to a lossless format, which would be ALAC if you're using iTunes. If you rip to a lossy format, there's no way of regaining the lost information without rerippping it all. If you have it in a lossless format, you can always convert to lossy format later on, say if you need smaller files for a portable device. 

A small but important correction to this Tw99 - it should be "copy and convert to a lossy format later on" otherwise the original lossless version is errr, lost :)

Thought I’d update this thread as I’ve reached a milestone! I’ve finally ripped my entire CD collection, I now have 13,383 songs over 1,165 albums, which gives me 43 days of continuous playback.

So here is what has happened since;

My requirements have changed slightly since my OP, I no longer want access to a dedicated streaming service (I don’t find them fair, financially, to the artists I mainly listen to) and use Bandcamp for music downloads (often direct from the artist).

I ended up purchasing a Melco N1A, it ticked all the boxes at the time, then out of nowhere a Chord Electronics Media Engine appeared on the second hand market at a very good price and, as I am a Chord Fanboi, I just had to buy it! In total I have 14TB of storage between the two which is far more than I need for my music collection and locally stored backup. Both worked flawlessly via usb to my DAC using a £10 cable from PC World.

The Melco did its job, slotted into the hifi rack nicely, was easy to transfer my music from the laptop, is quiet, loads of storage, looked good, sounded good, but the lack of a decent app to control it is a pain. At the time of purchase I did know that there wasn’t a dedicated app for it, but an app was promised well over a year ago and it still hasn’t materialised, this realistically a deal breaker. UI needs to be simple and intuitive for me and this isn’t the case. I have tried various app for it and they have all had their problems. Until Melco pulls its finger out and finally (if ever) releases an app for it I honestly could not recommend it. Good job I have the Media Engine! I’m using it rip CD’s with iTunes to ALAC (I use an iPod on my way to work so makes transferring music to my iPod so simple) and can control it with my iPad, crap loads of storage and it’s easy to add/correct metadata. The down side is it’s f***ing massive so I’ve had to have a temporary rearranging of my gear and I do have audible fan noise when I occasionally do listen to certain genres of music at very low volume. But between the two, I have what I require, even though it’s not ideal all the time.