eddie-baby

epos speakers (old or new), anyone own/ed, like, love!

Surprised to not see any epos here in the owners club. I know these speakers have had their fair share of fans, especially with naim lovers.

For me, the pick of the bunch was the old es range and I still currently own a set of es22s. But I've had 11s, 12s, and 15s also. The newer M series were pretty good too, but I really think they lost it after that. If there's no metal tweeter then I'm not interested, at least in epos, but you may think otherwise. Would love to hear your thoughts.

Highlights for me is speed, atmospheric detail, not super clean sounding but some warmth and seduction in the vocals, but still plenty of realism (in a nice euphoric way). Can be a bit fussy about amps I found, so I can see why some people could overlook if they were not suited to their amp or badly matched. Midrange on the 12s or 14s on open frame stands takes some beating.

Anyone owned some and liked them but upgraded, did you get more or better of what the epos were delivering? I've listened to hundreds of speakers over the years but even today the way epos presents detail I've found hard to match. Great simple designs and with very minimal crossovers ('nothing' apart from a capacitor on the tweeter).

Here's just a couple of pics of 11s and 15s I once owned,

es11s.jpg

15.jpg

Edited by eddie-baby

Had a pair of 14's on the end of a pair of Naim 135's along with a 72.  Great speed and resolution but couldn't cope with Nicky and her volume levels.

26 minutes ago, moo-fi said:

Had a pair of 14's on the end of a pair of Naim 135's along with a 72.  Great speed and resolution but couldn't cope with Nicky and her volume levels.

hahaha xD

More power vicar! :rockin:

But your right Fred, speed and resolution a plenty, but theyre not going to cut it for PA work, nowhere near!:) 22s aren't too bad screaming rock or dance at you at modest levels, but best not drive them too hard, there's way better speakers out there for that. Love the 14s, I'm sure I'll get to hear a set again sometime, on a set of 135's would be very nice too.

Edited by eddie-baby

My first 'proper' speakers were Epos M5's, some people didn't like the metal dome tweeter but I never had a problem with it. I really like the M12 too. I've never had the pleasure of hearing the older, more highly regarded models.

Cheers BB

8 minutes ago, Brown Bottle said:

My first 'proper' speakers were Epos M5's, some people didn't like the metal dome tweeter but I never had a problem with it. I really like the M12 too. I've never had the pleasure of hearing the older, more highly regarded models.

Cheers BB

M's are good speakers BB, I like those as well.

I really liked the M12i, but for some reason couldn't get them to work in my room, they sounded all disjointed and weird, annoying!

I also really liked the EPOS ELS3, used within their volume they were fun :-)

I made an impulse buy of a pair of ES30 - no idea why, they shouldn't have been my sort of speaker at all.  But I really enjoyed them!  Kept them for quite a few months.

Floorstanders, but much better imo raised 6 inches or so.  Worked very well close to the back wall as well.

EPOSES302-1_zps34568585.jpg

Super Wammer

I have always enjoyed the ES 11 & 14's I have heard.

Very surprised to see only 9 posts so far. With my recent Naim purchase I decided to try EPOS. Got myself a pair of M15.2. Can't believe how big sound I'm getting from such small floorstanders. Only been listening for half hour but the pairing is excellent. 

2 hours ago, insider9 said:

Very surprised to see only 9 posts so far. With my recent Naim purchase I decided to try EPOS. Got myself a pair of M15.2. Can't believe how big sound I'm getting from such small floorstanders. Only been listening for half hour but the pairing is excellent. 

Naim / epos is a special combo, way more than the sum of their parts.

I'm a little surprised no more owners come forward either, I know they have (had) a following. I went into a large naim dealers store once ( a long time ago now) and he said he had customers who literally went crazy spending on their sources and amplification but would not change their cheapy (in comparison) epos speakers. And, I can completely understand that.

Edited by eddie-baby

They are a pain to position and get right tho, need plenty of room. Way more than your average smallish speakers,

When I first heard the 5i-2 on the end of my Jamo speakers it sounded really lush but felt the soundstage was average. These EPOS added an extra layer of detail and soundstage opened up. They're not as warm sounding like Jamos which I felt were not a perfect match for two reasons (slightly too warm with Naim and they need more power). I'm really impressed by the combo.

lots of sound variation with the epos range from old to new (well up to the old M's anyway), but the basic ingredients are all similar, and its a great way to go with naim.:^

I went with M15.2 as it was relatively cheap. I saw M22 last week but didn't want to spend as much. 

What's your favourite EPOS speaker?