wizons

What is the best PC audio software?

I use JRiver at the moment and am happy with it, but the interface is clunky and it does far more than I need. However, I'd like to experiment with something else and would like to hear what people think about the alternatives. Are there any differences in sound quality?

I use the remote app that connects JRiver  with iOS and android tablets, so any new software would need similar apps that can connect to an iPad. 

Thanks

Foobar is extremely tweakable and has remote app support. Needs a bit of tweaking to set it up though. I experimented with it and decided on JRiver eventually - it isn't perfect, I'll admit, but works fine for my purposes. If all you want to do is listen to streaming music, Squeezeplayer can emulate a Squeezebox on your PC and allow control via iPeng or other control software.

In terms of sound quality, anything that uses WASAPI to output audio in a bit-perfect fashion should be as good as it gets. Opinions differ on this, much as they do with cables!

Super Dealer

If you use Tidal then Roon is excellent.

Keith

This player is highly recommended by the designer of my dac.

http://www.hysolid.com/

I use Jriver22 and Foobar, they are both good players and both sound very good when setup correctly. JRiver is especially nice to look at with the artwork showing, but for sound the latest Foobar just beats it in my system (I stress the latest Foobar as JRiver was better than the earlier Foobars I have used). As Foobar is free its almost a no brainer just download it and give it a try it won't cost a penny. For a bit more adventure try using Daphile, setup is more difficult but the sound I think beats both JRiver and Foobar.

• Upvote 1

I use Kodi on openelec. I can run JRiver or openelec on my server for side by side comparisons. 

The differences aren't subtle. JRiver sounding very studio like - quite analytical and stark, whereas openelec sounds more analogue and real. 

Dont ask me why......but I believe openelec is a much more simplified OS....

I have just setup my small atom cpu based computer with Openelec primarily for movies but last night I thought I would try some music I was pleasantly suprised at how analogue it sounded, similar to Daphile (another Linux based os) . I have my Teac UD501 dac connected via usb and Openlec recognised it right away (no driver required as it is a LInux based os). The only problem I have at present is that it downsamples DSF files to 192khz, I think this is because the Teac requires DOP to play this type of file, other dacs maybe able to do it natively. Openelec is well worth trying, highly recommended.

Lots of choice these days.

Tempting as it is to try something new I'm sticking with JRiver for these reasons; it's versatile and configurable, in conjunction with REW provides great scope and control for room correction, ripping is fine, tagging can be adapted for particular uses, and most importantly the JRemote app is excellent and configurable from with JRiver. 

There are snags of course. It is sufficiently complex that mistakes can easily be made which may account for it "sounding different" to other players. To get the best out of it involves a journey into regular expressions. Quite a steep and long learning curve. That wonderful remote app doesn't seem to be developed much these days. Apparently the designer was hired by JRiver who bought the app, but now he is no longer on the payroll. Having said that, it may be a blessing in disguise as at least the app won't be buggered up as happened with the Sonos app. Just as long as it continues to work on forthcoming IOS and Android updates.

It sometimes feels as if one has been given the raw materials and a toolbox and left to make what one wants of it - an approach I quite like!

On 11/5/2016 at 19:09, Mikeb said:

I use Jriver22 and Foobar, they are both good players and both sound very good when setup correctly. JRiver is especially nice to look at with the artwork showing, but for sound the latest Foobar just beats it in my system (I stress the latest Foobar as JRiver was better than the earlier Foobars I have used). As Foobar is free its almost a no brainer just download it and give it a try it won't cost a penny. For a bit more adventure try using Daphile, setup is more difficult but the sound I think beats both JRiver and Foobar.

Hi Mike, with regards to Daphile, can it actually be installed as a program on Windows etc or does it have to be used as a dual-boot software only?

Sorry if this is a daft question but the website is a little confusing....

Thanks!!

Regarding the Daphile question the easiest way (which I use) was to install it on a second small computer doesn't need to be powerful (cpu atom fine) and you then connect this to your router. On the same router you attach the computer with your music files and install a server app like LMS or Asset, you then access Daphile via the music server computer by inputting the internet address in the browser. There are probably other less complicated ways of using Daphile. The router can be wireless connected to your computers but I prefer hard wired cable as I play SACD and 192khz music files into my Mytek DSD dac (wireless probably ok upto 96khz though).

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Mikeb said:

Regarding the Daphile question the easiest way (which I use) was to install it on a second small computer doesn't need to be powerful (cpu atom fine) and you then connect this to your router. On the same router you attach the computer with your music files and install a server app like LMS or Asset, you then access Daphile via the music server computer by inputting the internet address in the browser. There are probably other less complicated ways of using Daphile. The router can be wireless connected to your computers but I prefer hard wired cable as I play SACD and 192khz music files into my Mytek DSD dac (wireless probably ok upto 96khz though).

Thanks for the swift reply!! That kind of sounds like what I have planned, in the lounge I have a small Windows 10 PC that i use for browsing etc. I used to run JRiver on it but to be perfectly honest I was completely underwhelmed by the sound quality of JRiver regardless of and DSP settings etc..

I've done away with my Logitech SB3 as the supported bit rate was too low and I couldn't exploit my hi-rez collection (all on NAS), I'm now running an RPi3 with Audiophonics Isabre/Raspdac kit that is simply excellent VFM and the sound quality is fantastic.

I fancy using the PC as an alternative music server hence  my question about Daphile - I 'm going to have a fiddle and see what I think..

Thanks again,

Mark  

Good luck.

For Win, we still prefer - if you have paid for Win as I have many times - the inbuilt possibly Media Player and Free Audacity and Switch Sound and ...

Do not neglect the joy of selecting one or 7777770 tracks at a time ...

Windows = cheap-ubiquitous/annoying, but probably best.

Apart from original plastic analogue or digital material.

If your software is using WASAPI to output to a DAC (as you should be in Windows for best quality) then there is no technical reason whatsoever for differences in sound quality between different programs. Unless you're using DSP or applying other processing.