SergeAuckland

FREE 1920s acoustic Gramophone

I've had this Gramophone for years, it previously belonged to an Aunt of my wife's who presumably had it since new, or at least in her family.

It is fully working, the turntable goes round at the right speed, and the variable speed control works fine. Arm bearings fine, as is pickup and horn.

Lots of spare needles.

The cabinet could do with some restoration, and it would then be a lovely piece of working furniture.

Collection from Suffolk, as it's clearly not something that could be posted or shipped unless extensively packaged.

I really don't want to have to dump it, but I just haven't got the room for it any more.

Thanks

S.

DSCN2850.JPG

DSCN2852.JPG

DSCN2853.JPG

I like that! :love: Heck, even Mrs. B says I can have a gramophone but, sadly, she's insisting on one with a horn.

31 minutes ago, Beobloke said:

I like that! :love: Heck, even Mrs. B says I can have a gramophone but, sadly, she's insisting on one with a horn.

It's got one, just internal!

I thought the doors would act as a volume control, but it's more of a tone control, maybe an early 'loudness' control!

S.

Reminds me of the bigger (floorstanding!) one i had in 70s.

I kept it in my library (!!?? .........I was a Librarian then!), but it ended up with an Antiques friend, then shipped to USA.

so....it's worth something!

Alternating current? What's that handle for then?

OK, I get it, it's the strobe :-)

Was sorely tempted by something like this at a car boot sale I happened to attend. What is remarkable is how good 78s sound when played on the machines they were designed for. Would love to have one but since I am meant to be downsizing ...

Hope it goes to a good home.

Tim

Edited by onlyconnect

39 minutes ago, Hornucopia said:

Reminds me of the bigger (floorstanding!) one i had in 70s.

I kept it in my library (!!?? .........I was a Librarian then!), but it ended up with an Antiques friend, then shipped to USA.

so....it's worth something!

It probably is, if the cabinet were properly restored, but I doubt it would be worth a lot as it stands, even though in perfect working order.

Anyway, I can't think of an alternative to eBay, and 'collection only' will seriously reduce the potential market. 

I would be very happy for it to go to an enthusiast who's willing to restore the cabinet.  I wonder if anyone knows of an acoustic gramophone enthusiasts' club.

S.

Serge I've been after one for a little while. If it's still available?

Ah never mind, I didn't read the Suffolk bit!!

sorry

Serge

If nobody on here wants this, and before you consider dumping it, it might be worth asking these folks if they are interested in it.

http://www.mechanicalmusic.co.uk/#about

They run a fascinating museum deicated to the mechanical reproduction of music in Northleach. I think they would be very interested in taking it off your hands.

shame it is so far away, i'd have given it a home as well.

• Upvote 1

On ‎07‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 12:59, D Quinn said:

Apologies in advance -

Is that because you don't give her the horn anymore . ^_^

No need to reply , I appreciate I am being juvenile .Its Friday .

:D

To be fair, you may have belted the pun down the fairway, but I think I teed it up for you...

Wasn't this a word for 'Phone', once? aka Blower, Give you a tinkle......dog+ bone.

On 09/10/2016 at 11:46, Itchy & Scratchy said:

Hi Serge,

If it's still available, we will offer it a home.... just up the road from you!

Hi Dean and 

Now gone to a good home. Collected this morning by Itchy (or was it Scratchy!) 

Thanks.

S.