MCRU

Conductivity of Metals Used In Hi-Fi

Super Dealer

Written a while ago by a german audiophile who I traded with for a while.

Worth a read if you are interested in the subject matter.

http://www.mains-cables-r-us.co.uk/blog/2011/11/20/the-conductivity-of-metals-used-in-hi-fi/ 

Super Wammer

Damn I'll have to unsolder all my speaker connections, and crimp them now >:(

I can confirm the superiority of crimped connections.  I used to work for a company that made power supplies that supplied 5V at 126A.  Obviously that called for low resistance connections to the load, and soldered connections were really not an option - they needed to be crimped.  At the power supply end, however, we used paralleled push fit connectors - these were gold plated (not silver).

Of course, whether any of that matters for HiFi is another question entirely :)

15 hours ago, gcogger said:

I can confirm the superiority of crimped connections.  I used to work for a company that made power supplies that supplied 5V at 126A.  Obviously that called for low resistance connections to the load, and soldered connections were really not an option - they needed to be crimped.  At the power supply end, however, we used paralleled push fit connectors - these were gold plated (not silver).

Of course, whether any of that matters for HiFi is another question entirely :)

I guess the use of gold rather than silver was to do with corrosion resistance rather than conductivity?

1 hour ago, H20gna said:

I guess the use of gold rather than silver was to do with corrosion resistance rather than conductivity?

I'm not convinced the conductivity of the plating metal is that important (it's a very thin layer with a reasonably good contact area, giving a tiny resistance even for nickel plate).  I guess the reason was that it would be consistent in the long term.  I'm not entirely persuaded by the article claiming that even tarnished silver is very low resistance, as that's the first time I've heard the claim.  I guess that would depend on how bad it was!

5 hours ago, gcogger said:

I'm not convinced the conductivity of the plating metal is that important (it's a very thin layer with a reasonably good contact area, giving a tiny resistance even for nickel plate).  I guess the reason was that it would be consistent in the long term.  I'm not entirely persuaded by the article claiming that even tarnished silver is very low resistance, as that's the first time I've heard the claim.  I guess that would depend on how bad it was!

Hi,

Tarnish Silver is likely to be Silver Sulphide. This is a semiconductor. Thin amounts will conduct but a lot less than pure silver. So it needs to be cleaned to give the low resistivity.

SCIDB

Super Wammer

Intersting article

:D