Dvddvd

Kef reference 1 taking the piss!

8 minutes ago, bandit pilot said:

Actually, lots of people cry about cables and their costs :D

Have you spent much time on the wam? Wire is the hottest subject on the forum.

You're right shouldn't  have gone there  , 

point is  price wise there is massive  choice in the hi-fi , buy whatever you think is right  without picking on certain brands

£5k for a set of kef's!! You could a really nice 2nd hand mint pair of Wilson stand mounts for that. Mental. 

Edited by Thetiminator

Just now, Speedracer said:

This is true of course, I agree, my point is that there are lots of fools with lots of money, & many of these people don't care what a peice of kit actually sounds like, some buy because it is expensive, not because it is good.

Buying what you want isn't foolish, it's choice. The more money you have, the more choices you have. 

Watches, cars, boats etc, all have one thing in common. None of them are important in the grander scheme of things, same with hifi. Cost has no bearing because the products of all manufacturers are marketed to a certain type of person and with all levels of disposable income.

The stands wont make a deal of difference to these speakers, but they'll mean the difference between heaven and hell for the OCD sufferer.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Dvddvd said:

I Went for a listen to some Kef reference 1 bookshelf speakers, they sounded nice. The salesman said "you will need the matching stands for them, " I thought ok.

The stands are £999! Two bits of flat metal and a upright box section, and a few spikes.

Must cost £50 to make,  is somebody taking the piss?

Then it had me thinking if the stands are outrageously priced maybe the speakers are too.....So I walked away and saved £4500 ! Do Kef think we are daft?

You're certainly not daft, I would say £999 for stands is a complete rip off. Plenty more good stand mounts to be had in your budget, although I do appreciate it is not always easy to get dems within a reasonable traveling distance.

13 minutes ago, bandit pilot said:

Buying what you want isn't foolish, it's choice. The more money you have, the more choices you have. 

Watches, cars, boats etc, all have one thing in common. None of them are important in the grander scheme of things, same with hifi. Cost has no bearing because the products of all manufacturers are marketed to a certain type of person and with all levels of disposable income.

The stands wont make a deal of difference to these speakers, but they'll mean the difference between heaven and hell for the OCD sufferer.

Exactly this + a bit of envy of others buying power:D

Product Description

Made for the critically acclaimed reference 1 bookshelf speakers, the Kef Reference 1 Stands are offer optimum rigidity through securely bolting the speakers to the stand.

The integrated spirit-level helps achieve perfect adjustment and positioning to get the most out of your speakers while the
discreet cable management system hides any unsightly wires for a neat set up.

Stability and acoustic damping can be enhanced by filling the upright vertical with your choice of inert material.

Vestigial cabinet vibrations are prevented from being transmitted through the floor of the listening área.using the same Reference precision-engineered spike set.

Yeah, right. So you can improve them by filling them with some inert material and they don't transmit "vestigial"  cabinet vibrations. Oh, and what degree of precision engineering do you think they apply to the spikes?

Just been clay pigeon shooting now thats a cheap hobby.... One hours shooting £175 bargain not!! 

Think I'll stick to hifi £999 for the stands ill take erm... xD

10 minutes ago, The Far North said:

Yeah, right. So you can improve them by filling them with some inert material and they don't transmit "vestigial"  cabinet vibrations. Oh, and what degree of precision engineering do you think they apply to the spikes?

Doubtless a good deal more precision  than you would get by holding a bolt in some pliers and filing it.:P

Read the blurb. These speakers are clearly aimed at the Audi brigade.:yeah:

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer

Audi? Nah! Jaguar saloon brigade I'd say.🤑

Hmmmm an interesting topic. Anything the same height and stiffness (dreadnoughts etc) should work fine but you never know if they were designed as a pair (I would assume so at that end of the market) then they'll probably look better, sound marginally better and be easier to sell on as a matching set up (quite important imo). If you're paying this much brand new then it's all about marginal gains isn't it so you have to assess that on the spot. Are they overpriced? Of course! All this stuff is!! It's all limited edition and basically hand made in small batches. Man hours are ludicrously expensive. 4.5k is wildly expensive for standmounts anyway so you may as well go in for a penny in for a pound or completely avoid this market segment. No point scrimping when you're so committed already. I think that can be a false economy (not that I don't think a grand is a lot of cash.....I do).

I've had a few speakers where the stands designed to go with the speakers were a must imo. Original Cremona auditors. B&W 805 signatures. SF Domus concertinas. There are other speakers designed with specific matching stands I'd only ever buy as a complete set. Acoustic energy AE1s (original design), Epos ES14's (lovely open stands), Dynaudio confidence C1's. Rip off or not it's about respecting the design intent both sonically and aesthetically. 

Personally though I keep a pair of dreadnoughts which work beautifully with most stand mounts and look great too. I find most normal stand mounts under a grand (and most far less) will give the far more expensive speakers a run for their money.

A great point has also been Made here that you'll get much more for your money second hand. Possibly Sonus Faber Guarneri mementos, Wilson Duettes, WB Discoveries, those really nice Neat stand mounts I've seen going for 1800 or so. So many great choices out there.

or just buy floorstanders.....

Edited by Neilb

If you didn't buy perfume for your other half, you can skip the rest of this post.

If you did, then... WTF.. how is £50 / £100 / £200 for coloured pi55 water in any way "worth it". ?? Trouble is, value and cost and price are ALL SEPERATE

That said, £999 sounds a touch "Range Rover" to me

Super Wammer
On ‎10‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 12:10, Naimkiller said:

Just been clay pigeon shooting now thats a cheap hobby.... One hours shooting £175 bargain not!! 

Think I'll stick to hifi £999 for the stands ill take erm... xD

Holy poop! I generally reckon on 50 shots an hour for a social sporting shoot (I'm in no rush) at 40 to 50p a pop, including clay and cartridge. £25 per hour tops. It seems Kef must make clays too :o