Sign in to follow this  
Willie Garvin

Fujifilm X-T2 or Fujifilm X-Pro2

Whilst out & about with my camera the other day I sat down on a bench for a rest & to glance about to see if there was anyone or anything worth taking a picture of when someone sat next to me.

After a while the man who had sat next to me spoke & asked about my camera & made a comment about not seeing many film cameras about these days.

I was using my Fuji X-Pro1 so I understood why he thought it was a film camera, anyway after explaining that it was a digital retro looking Fuji camera we had a brief talk on cameras in general.

During this talk I sad that the X-Pro1 had been superseded by the X-Pro2 & in fact there was now in fact a flagship Fuji camera called X-T2.

He then asked me a question that I could not answer because I didn't have a clue how to answer him, he said to me which is the better camera then the X-Pro 2 or the X-T2, I told him that I had no idea. Anyway we chatted a bit longer & he had a play with my X-Pro1, which he liked a lot & then we said our goodbyes & off he went.

So my question here on the Wam is this................................................Which is the better camera X-Pro2 or the X-T2 & if I can push my luck here can I ask why you think one is better or possibly not.

Cheers,

willie g 

Starter for ten...*CAVEAT* I haven't got an X-T2 so I'm only going off what I've seen reviewed and read.  

I'd say horses for courses because although they have many similarities there are some quite significant differences:

X-Pro2: hybrid viewfinder and "rangefinder" ergonomics which suggests its more about street than action. Ergonomics more suited to primes rather than tele-zooms (although zooms do balance out nicely IMO).  It's no slouch on AF or fast shooting (8 FPS) - and with firmware upgrade will have the same AF as the X-T2 so in the right hands can shoot action no problem.

X-T2 is designed as the mini DSLR to 'do it all' including action/wildlife...which is where Fuji have lagged Canikon. So, fast AF and additional settings to help when shooting fast moving erratic objects.  With the handgrip up to 11fps which is quick as. Bigger, better EVF with 100fps refresh rate which is supposed to be excellent (but is it as good as the best DSLR's?). Articulating rear screen which is useful. Also has 4K video which X-Pro2 does not (it still doesn't review well though).  So there are some definite technological improvements over the X-Pro2 but remember that with the Fuji handgrip (which you need to get the 11fps) this tops out at significantly more ££ than the X-Pro2, so if you don't really shoot fast action and/or 4K then X-Pro2 would tick most/all of the boxes - if you like the rangefinder style of course.

I know Lefty has tried the X-T2 and has one on order and may have even received it, so he is or will be well placed to comment further.

It's a fair question Willie, but I'm guessing that your street style shots come more naturally to a rangefinder type camera?  I was at a Fuji trial day at Ffordes last Saturday and didn't even think of trying the X-Pro2 as my previous experiences with a Leica M3 and Fuji GSW690 have convinced me that I need to see what the lens sees. Most of my photography is landscape rather than street or candid though, so you might be completely the opposite. For the record, I found the XT-2 to be generally faster all round than my XT-1, and maybe even a touch smoother on the jpegs. Hard to be definite as I shoot raw and jpeg and would always process the raw when the shot was good enough.The day was more about trying the different lenses for me, and I was really impressed with the 100-400 and the 90, but not so impressed with the 23 and the 56. As they were lenses from the Fuji rep, I reckon we can be sure they were decent examples of each.

If I had the straight choice now, I would go for the T2.  The flippable screen is massively useful and makes it more discreet as a street camera than the Pro2 because you can shoot waist level.  The T2 viewfinder is bigger and the quality of the Fuji viewfinders is such that they are a viable alternative to optical.  The focussing system on the T2 will always be better (despite imminent firmware) and it is easier to control the T2 from the knobs rather than the menus.

That being said, the Pro 2 has more charm.  I'll probably own both of them eventually.  An important thing is that the Pro2 is now a couple of hundred pounds cheaper if you shop around.

If the optical viewfinder is important to you get the XPro2, if it's not get the XT2, it's as simple as that. Bigger viewfinder, articulated screen, ISO dial, both SD slots are faster UHSII type, smaller and lighter. I loved it when I took one for a spin at a recent wedding https://www.fujiholics.com/fuji-xt-2-review/

Image quality and focus speed are the same.

Also, if you are a bit rough with your kit or use it a lot, the XPro2 build quality is more robust which is probably why it's bigger and heavier. I love the XT2 viewfinder though.

Edited by RSand

Hi,

I'm extremely grateful for all of your replies & I've read all of them & tried to absorb what you are telling me.

Based on this I have decided that like HHM I would love to own both although finances dictate otherwise.

Seriously though even though I have read all of the above replies I could not, hand on heart, choose between the XPro2 or the XT-2 because I haven't had my hands on either of them!!

I love my XPro1 & it is always with me when I am out & about, so the XPro2 would appeal to me because of my love for the XPro1 BUT the XT-2's tilting screen & all of the other improvements that the XPro2 hasn't got also appeal to me.

If I'm honest I know that if I did get one I'd wished that I had got the other!!

So I really need to find an outlet near to Huddersfield, where I live, that has both in stock, so that I can handle both of them & perhaps get to take some shots.

But although it was said tongue in cheek by me I would like to own both of them, greedy I know, but honest.

Just need a sizeable lottery win that's all (or a loan from one of you wealthy wammers out there).-_-

Thanks again for all of your replies, wamming at it's best. :^

Cheers,

willie g

You're correct WG, the only way to decide is to go and hold both.  Even if it takes a half day journey to get to a retailer that has both, and as you say, take a few pics with your own memory and card and use your own preferred lenses to see how the bodies balance with them.

Good luck.

On 12/10/2016 at 12:49, unclepuncle said:

Nice wedding shots Rob.

And a good review of the X-T2. Seems like the viewfinder is a major consideration, which I get.

For Willie I doubt you'll find much difference in the handling of the Pro-2 vs Pro-1, the differences will be in the dials. I have got used to the dual ISO/shutter speed dial but still struggle occasionally  - if you can pat your head and rub your stomach simultaneously you'll be fine with it.

Heart - X-Pro2

Head - X-T2

I'd say horses for courses because although they have many similarities there are some quite significant differences:

X-Pro2: hybrid viewfinder and "rangefinder" ergonomics which suggests its more about street than action. Ergonomics more suited to primes rather than tele-zooms (although zooms do balance out nicely IMO).  It's no slouch on AF or fast shooting (8 FPS) - and with firmware upgrade will have the same AF as the X-T2 so in the right hands can shoot action no problem.

I've worked my way through a few Fuji X's, and I can honestly say the XPro2 will be my last until there are some serious advances, it's a wonderful camera that brings everything folks loved about the Pro1 & updates it respectfully. No tilted screen.....yes it's convenient, but it's no way essential, street from the hip is still possible imho :) The little joystick to steer the focus point is genius, and the AF of all lenses in low light is way better.  The firmware update we got last week added most of the AF stuff from the XT2, and low light AF improved quite impressively! Apparently the XT2 still has a slight edge with AF, but in all truth, you'll not feel short changed like you would between the first gen cameras, the XPro1 is a lovely thing, but it wasn't really the flagship Fuji tried to keep pretending it was, although I still rate the original sensor as being something a bit special! 

In the end it's your preference that counts, if you like the SLR style, the XT2 your camera, prefer a rangefinder look, the Pro2 is for you, but especially since that update, it really is down to style, the substance is pretty much identical. 

13 hours ago, matt tandoori said:

The little joystick to steer the focus point is genius 

Yep, it is indeed, been using that feature since 2007:D