Kegworth Show Information

The information for this year's show is now live at www.thehifishow.com or by clicking on the show banner below.

NON EXHIBITOR ROOMS NOW OPEN - Special Offer....Stay Saturday, join in all the build up excitement on Sat night and then gain FREE access to the show on Sunday

LAST MINUTE WAM HIFI SHOW AVAILABILITY - ONLY A FEW EXHIBITOR ROOMS LEFT - ONLY 5 SLEEP ONLY ROOMS LEFT - ONLY 3 BIG SYSTEM SPACES LEFT

Hi to you all,

This new topic to share your experiences using LFD Audio equipment.

Like Croft Acoustics amps, LFD's are often paired with Harbeth speakers, any other good amp-speaker matches you use or heard of? Thanks for sharing

I own myself a Zero LE Mk4 SE (2010-14 model), does anyone know where the SE stands for? Probably Special Edition, but what's so special about it compared to the "normal" Mk4?

Thanks!

Edited by boussven

Nobody? No LFD users on Wigwam?

I've got an old LFD Mistral phone stage. Sounds very sweet. Can be adjusted for MC/MM via a couple of solder links on the PCB.

I have some LFD kit: an NCSE, MCT SE and a pair of Silicon mains leads.

Very pleased with the combination which drives the Sonus Fabers adequately for my needs.

Glad someone has started an LFD thread, considered this but couldn't come up with a catchy enough title, plenty of risqué plays on the letters of course.

My son has an NCSE MkII. He's very pleased with it. 

Using a Powerstage PA2.

I'm using a LFD LE SE phono stage, it's an excellent sounding phono amp, but difficult to place: you have to put it one meter away from other hifi equipment, otherwise problems with hum or other noises. Could be RF pickup, too.

Can anyone share some more experiences with noisy LFD phono stages?

Edited by boussven

I'm afraid I have no experience of the LFD stages specifically but I do with regard to the Naim stages and their modification - and they tend to exhibit the issue you describe. In the case of the Naim the tendency to pick up RF in the form of taxi cab radio and DXF radio is down to the capacitive loading of the input stage and specifically the value of capacitor chosen.

Having said that, I now run a quite different phonostage (a Paradise) and this does not suffer at all from this problem, despite having the same capacative loading and being housed in a largely acrylic case!

Super Wammer
51 minutes ago, boussven said:

I'm using a LFD LE SE phono stage, it's an excellent sounding phono amp, but difficult to place: you have to put it one meter away from other hifi equipment, otherwise problems with hum or other noises. Could be RF pickup, too.

Can anyone share some more experiences with noisy LFD phono stages?

Not sure I'm looking forward to siting mine if they're prone to picking up RF, but I'll let you know how I get on when my LFD MC1 Phonostage arrives later this week...

I had the LFD battery phono for about 15 years - no problem with hum or noise or RF ever.

Art Dudley of Stereophile reports as follow on the hum problem:

Things to do include leaving the Phonostage LE powered up all the time and keeping it at least a half-meter away from other electronic components, in order to prevent induced hum. Things not to do include asking the Phonostage LE to drive interconnects longer than 2–3m, or allowing oneself to fidget over the product's fixed 47k ohm input impedance.

RF pickup: putting my LFD integrated amp loud on the channel where the LFD phono is connected to, I can  simply listen to the radio,

I thought this was a location issue, but n ow I moved and problem is the same.

Don't have this with other phono stages I use.

As far as hum is relevant it is common that the main amplification should be separated 0.5m from the power supply - such is the requirements of the high end (at least you don't have two power supplies :)).

Long time LFD fan here.  Have previously owned an LFD Mistral phono stage & PA0 (SE) power amp, and currently own LFD DLS pre, PA2M (SE) power amp and also use LFD cables (Hybrid Ribbon speaker cable & Grainless interconnects & an LFD silicon power cable for the pre).  It is idiosyncratic gear for sure, and much more revealing of things like cable changes than other gear due to its transparency.  It is supremely reliable gear and built for one thing, long term listening enjoyment, built without ego: if a pair of op-amps in a case sounds better than a 'technical tour de force', then so be it with LFD gear.  Some people would find the Zero or smaller stereo amps a tad dynamically polite or lacking slam (musical taste dependent too), but the bigger amps do not suffer from this (they sound a bit less 'lively' though, or is that more accurate?).

Boussven, your LFD Zero LE IV was a request from overseas importers where the output wiring, and maybe some other bits, were changed to slightly change the bass balance.  You can read about it here: https://audiophiledotwordpressdotcom.wordpress.com/2013/06/05/the-difference-between-lfd-audio-zero-le-mk4-0-and-signature-versions/

Edited by Yomanze

On 15-1-2017 at 16:12, Yomanze said:

Boussven, your LFD Zero LE IV was a request from overseas importers where the output wiring, and maybe some other bits, were changed to slightly change the bass balance.  You can read about it here: https://audiophiledotwordpressdotcom.wordpress.com/2013/06/05/the-difference-between-lfd-audio-zero-le-mk4-0-and-signature-versions/

Thanks, so the "SE" version is a "Signature"? That's confusing, as "SE" stands for Special Edition. So the Special Edition MkIV is actually a MkIV Signature?