Sign in to follow this  
MUJI

Angela Hewitt

Any Angela Hewitt fans here?

I have mostly listened to AH's Well-Tempered Clavier on earphones, and usually while on the train to work.  I noted that there were 2 recordings and I am not too sure which issue year was mine. She has garnered fans from across the world with her playing especially with her interpretation of Bach and it is not difficult to understand why. I really appreciate her style of playing through impeccable timing and phrasing. 

As no one was home this afternoon, I took the opportunity to hear the CDs carefully using my little speakers and felt that the experience was a whole lot different from earphones. While my earphones could provide a sense of 3-dimension, I thought speakers were doing more justice to the recording and also pianist. The notes weren't just clear, they were crisp! Each touch, sustained pedals, pianissimo etc were done with such level of mastery. I was in awed. How could someone play the trills so clearly?

Then, of course, was the sound staging of the piano that just seems more real as compared to to the earphones. The resonance of bass notes felt over the body just its another sense of realism.  

I have a copy of Gould's Well-Tempered Clavier on vinyl. It was a different take to AH's. Can't say which one is better and recordings were done at different era too. If you are used to Gould's tempo then maybe AH may sound a bit too regimental. But I do enjoy AH's that slightly more.

A shout out to the recording engineer and Faziolli's piano tuner as well. Love a slightly brighter sounding piano.

I share your enthusiasm for Angela Hewitt.  Her Bach recordings are a delight.  Have you sampled her disc of Bach 'arrangements' ?  Her recent Scarlatti disc is also outstanding and worth hearing back to back with Sudbins brilliant recital.

There are some splendid recordings of the WTC, in addition to Hewitt and Gould I also cherish Schiffs recording from the 80's and the splendid Richter from the turn of the 70's........though some of his tempos are astonishing.

Who did Hewitt record Scarlatti with? Will that be Hyperion? I will be quite keen to explore.

Strangely, I have not owned any Schiff's recordings although I have admired him. I have heard him play Goldberg's Variation and perhaps that was my favourite Goldberg. Very unique technique though with so little arm and wrist movement.

Yes, she recorded the Scarlatti with Hyperion.  It's a recent release.  Also worth hearing Schiffs old Decca recording of Scarlatti.  Horowitz's unique and superb take on Scarlatti has been collected on a single disc released by Sony at mid price.  

If the 'mechanical' background of the Forte piano doesn't get in the way of your listening pleasure do sample Schiffs splendid recent Schubert recital on the ECM New Series label.