hifinutt

max townshend creations

Super Wammer

Townshend Maximum supertweeters, Isolda speaker cables, Isolda interconnects. All proved very, very good in my systems.

Edited by vintageaxeman

I have dct300 ic everywhere except cd to preamp - those are the new fractals. Also Isolda speaker cable.  See no reason to change. Excellent stuff.

On 24/02/2017 at 22:01, Non-Smoking Man said:

Well said Graham.

I respect Max Townsend for his engineering and design prowess. I well remember wandering into Jefferies Hifi in Brighton when I was at Sussex Uni with a fellow student to listen to a Townsend Rock. This was 37 years ago. That same student will be my right hand man at the forthcoming Scalford Show, demonstrating, inter alia, a Cranfield Rock Gramaphone .

Going back to my Brighton days, a bit later I actually answered an advert in the local evening paper and found myself in Elm Grove with that selfsame demonstrater in position to buy his personal Cranfield Rock (with an Ittock).

The one you can hear at the show isnt the same one but it is the same model - the Rock Reference without the electronic speed change.

In those days Popular Hifi edited by Chris Frankland ,ruled the roost and Max was in the position of having a superior turntable to their reference (Linn Sondek) at half the price and a tenth of the sales.

He has been to Gibralter and back since then, but still soldiers on with innovative products.

He was rumoured to be turning up at Scalford when I was last there but the rumours proved unfounded..

I met him once in Molesey when I went to find a replacement motor for that Cran Rock I mentioned earlier. There were 3 on his desk - 'that's all there are', he said. I bought one for £50.

Jack NSM

Hi Jack, as a fellow Brightonian you must have a very different experience of Jefferies than I did around the early to mid 80s. In my experience in those days unless you wanted Linn/Naim they laughed you out of the shop. I owned a Rega Planar 3 and was interested in a Pink Triangle or a Systemdeck until I heared a Rock at the Brighton HiFi show (long gone) and finally bought one at the hifi shop in Burgess Hill.  Did you ever visit the Powerplant shop when it was there?

Keith

just put my dct300 back in dac to pre and certainly more dynamic with a capital D than the silver xlr been using recently

Yes, there was a Powerplant Shop on the Brighton-Hove border I seem to remember and then it moved to Portland Road. I looked in on occasion but I was too skint to buy anything from a shop - still am.

That Jefferies Shop was run by Julian (correct me if im wrong,) but, at one time he had a Townsend 'mole' working there. This chap later managed a retail outlet in the North Lanes for, wait for it, Peter Quortrup, called Melos Hi Fi or Audio. His name escapes me (just as well..ahem..) but at a subsequent date I answered an ad in the Evening Argus for a Cranfield Rock and Ittock. The house was in Elm Grove. He told me he had an Excaliber (Original) but 'Max told me to hang on to it as it was a collectors' item.' No wonder he was keen to sell me a Rock 2 in the shop. Julian must have been on a day off..!

I bought the Cran Rock and Ive had one or two Rocks of various vintages ever since. Ive owned 3.2 % of them.

What do you remember of those days..?

Jack

4 minutes ago, Non-Smoking Man said:

Yes, there was a Powerplant Shop on the Brighton-Hove border I seem to remember and then it moved to Portland Road. I looked in on occasion but I was too skint to buy anything from a shop - still am.

That Jefferies Shop was run by Julian (correct me if im wrong,) but, at one time he had a Townsend 'mole' working there. This chap later managed a retail outlet in the North Lanes for, wait for it, Peter Quortrup, called Melos Hi Fi or Audio. His name escapes me (just as well..ahem..) but at a subsequent date I answered an ad in the Evening Argus for a Cranfield Rock and Ittock. The house was in Elm Grove. He told me he had an Excaliber (Original) but 'Max told me to hang on to it as it was a collectors' item.' No wonder he was keen to sell me a Rock 2 in the shop. Julian must have been on a day off..!

I bought the Cran Rock and Ive had one or two Rocks of various vintages ever since. Ive owned 3.2 % of them.

What do you remember of those days..?

Jack

Portland Rd sounds about right. Quite a tiny little shop. What year was Julian?  I bought my Rega from a shop in Tonbridge but my Rock would have been about 85ish (I'd have been 23 and living at home in Burgess Hill before moving back down to Hove. I biamped a pair of Musical Fidelity A1 feeding a pair of SD Acoustic OBS speakers, boy could they move some air. , There was a hifi shop near the station, can't remember the street name, upstairs with a creaky floor, sold the PT and Systemdek, but something never convinced me to buy from them. But I spent a lot of time at Jefferies chatting to John Jefferies arguing the case, but half the time that was because I liked winding him up!

Super Wammer

Only the Isolda speaker cables. Bi-wired 5m and 3m pair. Love these cables, the only ones which did something different when I compared (exhaustively) 5 sets including Nordost Blue Heaven LS. Different and better to my ears; others might argue just different, but if they say "all cables are the same" i'd have to invite them over and put the kettle on.

Super Wammer

Useful info for people who use Townshend Maximum super tweeters:

You will know that the wavelength of sound produced by supertweeters will be extremely small. As a consequence, any lack of rigid mounting for a super tweeter ribbon will mean a loss of information. I undid the one cover screw on mine and found a lot of the bolts inside the unit had loosened over time. When I tightened everything back up, I found that it sounded like it had been born again. A complete change.

I exhibited one of my Cranfield 'Gramaphones at Scalford this year (2017). Who should drop by for a chat? Max Townshend, the man himself. I pointed out that this one had a re-engineered pulley to get the speed right. He said I should visit him in Molesey and buy an electronic speed change for it..

Max took a snap of me standing by the venerable Rock. Probably only one of a few still going after 35+ years. Still sounds excellent. Its going to have a Decca Gold fitted soon....Scally 2018..?

Jack NSM

• Upvote 1

oh my goodness , now we have isolation for piano`s !!!!! last time i heard stephen osbourne playing rach no 2 at the symphony hall , it sounded fab 

can`t think what these would do to make it any better . whatever next !! 

Super Wammer
3 hours ago, hifinutt said:

oh my goodness , now we have isolation for piano`s !!!!! last time i heard stephen osbourne playing rach no 2 at the symphony hall , it sounded fab 

It's about time live music caught up with hifi reproduction: keep an eye out for Keith Richards using cable lifters soon!

Super Wammer

I had this Rock Elite for many years, it is one, of a very few pieces of hi-Fi, that I have sold, and regret doing so.

5a21e8999ebb7_Townshend20Elite20Rock.jpg.b182187a396e552a192f3203fded04ba.jpg

Super Wammer

After listening to Jack's Cranfield Rock quite a few times I needed no persuading when this Rock Elite II came up for sale a few weeks ago.

It came with a Rega RB300 but that was swapped out for an interesting arm I shall introduce in another post. The performance from these decks for the little money they fetch is staggering IMO.

IMGP5136.JPG

18 hours ago, hifinutt said:

Did you listen to the clip?  I just did, and even on tinny laptop speakers I could hear the difference!  

Bought this in 1986, still using it today.5a23c3bf68e42_IMG_0002(5).thumb.JPG.2eee3381596ac1195aee1c097554a5c9.JPG

• Like 1