The site will be out of service again for further upgrades regarding security fixes. Work will be carried out between 4.30am and 5.30am tomorrow morning. We apologise for the inconvenience.

hifinutt

max townshend creations

many of you will have used max Townshend creations over the years to good effect .  he has had an incredible effect on hi fi enjoyment

over the years I have had Townshend balloon inflated hi fi stands , supertweeters , dct 300 interconnects and isolda cable . most recently some specially made martin logan summit stella stands

now the London dealer told me stands made no difference to martin logan but wow did they just control the bass and give an increased sense of realism

a few days ago courtesy of a gentleman called superpang I had an opportunity to try some dct 300 interconnects again . well rather impressive is the verdict . certainly increased bass and bigger sense of holographics . highly recommended . judging by the rapid sale on here of some fractal interconnects others are impressed too

thankyou max for your years of creativity

what are some of your experiences of max`s creations ?

Super Wammer

I have a pair of DCT 300 interconnects that I got from the private ads on here.   They outperformed my VdH interconnects and I've never bothered looking for alternatives between my DAC and preamp

Ive got some of the Isolda cable coming on loan that I am looking forward to trying. I have heard great things about the DCT interconnects, but for my 6m required amount, id need to take out a small mortgage!

how is the isolda holding up?

certainly the dct 300 is very good indeed

I have their Seismic Speaker Bars under my Fact 12s. They are superb and have solved the problem of a suspended wooden floor. Now i hear and don't have to also feel the bass!

Wonderful stuff and am looking to try the digital interconnects and Isoldas next. 

Have had seismic sinks , supertweeterrs ,and now passive pre (superb bit of kit) love his ideas sometimes less than impressed by build quality occasionally.

now I am curious why isolda would make a moon amp hot ? can anyone hazard an explanation ?

46 minutes ago, hifinutt said:

now I am curious why isolda would make a moon amp hot ? can anyone hazard an explanation ?

Isolda cable has a fairly high capacitance and low inductance, so if the Moon amp isn't unconditionally stable, it could well be hooting away at MHz frequencies, and that would get it rather hot and bothered.

S

14 hours ago, SergeAuckland said:

Isolda cable has a fairly high capacitance and low inductance, so if the Moon amp isn't unconditionally stable, it could well be hooting away at MHz frequencies, and that would get it rather hot and bothered.

S

Yep , but its cryogenically frozen , so that should cool it down ^_^

I have owned and still use quite a few Townshend products including their air inflated racks and speaker stands, Isolda cable and interconnects and supertweeters. 

I have always found them to be impressive performers and also well put together so they last.  As mentioned they tend to be fit and forget type of products.  I have tried many cables and unless capacitance is an issue (which can be on some older products), the Isolda is still hard to beat in resolution, treble purity and bass definition.  I have used an air stand for 15 years now and see no reason to change as it continues to provide brilliant isolation.  The supertweeters add some subtle air and sparkle to the presentation of my JBLs, which, when absent, were sorely missed.

Max is also prepared to take risks.  Many years ago I heard one of his DVD Audio/SACD players in his own 2 channel system and it was the first time I heard hi-resolution digital done right.  On two full-range speakers, it comprehensively outperformed Redbook CD and I thought if this is the future, then I am looking forward to it.  Nowadays hi-res two channel systems are common, but in 2001 the industry was obsessed with surround sound.  But Max saw a different application and pursued it.  And it has taken until recently until I have heard hi-res digital systems able to recreate what I first heard at the turn of the century.

But what seals it for me is the personal service from the company, who know the value of treating their customers well.  Max and Sue are always helpful with their advice and service.  If something doesn't gel (very rare) they take it back.  When I bought some stands in 2001, Sue Townshend personally dropped them off to my office!  So although not inexpensive, I consider Townshend products are well engineered products that do what is claimed that are well supported by a UK company.

• Like 1

Well said Graham.

I respect Max Townsend for his engineering and design prowess. I well remember wandering into Jefferies Hifi in Brighton when I was at Sussex Uni with a fellow student to listen to a Townsend Rock. This was 37 years ago. That same student will be my right hand man at the forthcoming Scalford Show, demonstrating, inter alia, a Cranfield Rock Gramaphone .

Going back to my Brighton days, a bit later I actually answered an advert in the local evening paper and found myself in Elm Grove with that selfsame demonstrater in position to buy his personal Cranfield Rock (with an Ittock).

The one you can hear at the show isnt the same one but it is the same model - the Rock Reference without the electronic speed change.

In those days Popular Hifi edited by Chris Frankland ,ruled the roost and Max was in the position of having a superior turntable to their reference (Linn Sondek) at half the price and a tenth of the sales.

He has been to Gibralter and back since then, but still soldiers on with innovative products.

He was rumoured to be turning up at Scalford when I was last there but the rumours proved unfounded..

I met him once in Molesey when I went to find a replacement motor for that Cran Rock I mentioned earlier. There were 3 on his desk - 'that's all there are', he said. I bought one for £50.

Jack NSM

I was talking to max and sue a couple of hours ago at the Bristol show. great to see them still thriving and full of ideas . he had a stonking pre amp there with a mouthwatering price tag but would love to hear it