Andrei

Brahms Piano Trios

Guys,

This is going to sound a bit odd but I have just discovered that I do not have any of Brahms' Piano Trios.  Who should I go for?  Any recommendations?  (CD, SACD, Hi-Res, DSD, Vinyl all ok.)

Hyperion offer a complete 'set' of Trios as a single download. Could be an easy and reasonably cheap place to start?

The Kalichstein-Laredo-Robinson Trio performances are highly rated (start with the Koch International Classics 7684 CD released in 2008). 

On CD, I have the 'Eroica Trio' "Brahms: Trios Nos. 1 & 2" (Opus 8 & 87) on EMI / Angel Records (available from Amazon). I don't listen to it much, but it's pretty good. It also includes Hungarian Dance No. 6 and Wiegenlied (Op49/4). (not to be confused with Herr Beethovens No.3, of course!)

I also have Op87/I-IV performed by Gary Graffman, Berl Senofsky and Shirley Trepel (piano/violin/cello) as a download from HDTT (High Definition Tape Transfers). It appears to have been part of a bundle with a Shostakovich performance but I don't have the other recordings.

Edited by gjm

I'm not a great fan of Brahms' chamber music, but I quite enjoy the Fontenay Trio on Warner.  They 'go for it' a bit, as opposed to the warmer and more luxuriantly laidback approach of, say, the Beaux Arts Trio.

I'd be interested to hear a performance using a period piano - I suspect that the lighter / leaner textures would suit the music better.
Anyone know of such a recording?

Edited by JANDL100

19 hours ago, gjm said:

Hyperion offer a complete 'set' of Trios as a single download. Could be an easy and reasonably cheap place to start?

Thanks Graham, I am giving that a go.  I feel a bit like that pop-art of a woman clutching her forehead saying "I can't believe it, I forgot to have children"

15 hours ago, JANDL100 said:

I'm not a great fan of Brahms' chamber music, but I quite enjoy the Fontenay Trio on Warner.  They 'go for it' a bit, as opposed to the warmer and more luxuriantly laidback approach of, say, the Beaux Arts Trio.

I'd be interested to hear a performance using a period piano - I suspect that the lighter / leaner textures would suit the music better.
Anyone know of such a recording?

I 'discovered' Brahms' chamber music, via a sort of back door.  The Piano Quartet No 1 in Op. 25 was orchestrated by Schonberg - and quite brilliantly.  My favourites are the Horn and Clarinet Trios, followed by the quartets and clarinet quintet.  The first violin sonata is also particularly good.  

Ah, yes, well ... the clarinet works are an honourable exception to my lack of fan-ness.  As is the piano quintet.  The piano quartet #1 is also rather good.

But apart from those .... 

Super Wammer

What!!

The sextets are fantastico.  Johannes is my King.  :x

• Upvote 1