The site will be out of service again for further upgrades regarding security fixes. Work will be carried out between 4.30am and 5.30am tomorrow morning. We apologise for the inconvenience.

eddie-baby

ProAc speakers, anyone share the love? Your experiences and matching equipment.

I'm sure in a blind test you wouldn't tell them from other brands. They are all drivers in a box.

I bet you I could. ProAc most definitely have their own sound, more so than any other speaker brand I have tried. It is down to the way Mr Tyler designs and voices them. He does not always get it right but they are unique designs.

I had a pair of EBS's in the late 80's, which were lovely but I didn't have an amp with enough grunt to drive them properly and sold them on. I then went even further into the low power / high efficiency game. Sometimes there's a fork in the road.... 

I would recommend them tho, with a big enough amp. As others have said, really musical.

Edited by Chop

10 hours ago, marlew said:

I bet you I could. ProAc most definitely have their own sound, more so than any other speaker brand I have tried. It is down to the way Mr Tyler designs and voices them. He does not always get it right but they are unique designs.

I could tell as well undoubtedly, set up the test! :) But as Chop said they do really need a serious amp in front of them, anything less and they can be mistaken for sounding a bit lacklustre and ordinary. But I have used them with average amplifiers and I still enjoyed, I just like the voicing of them.

Edited by eddie-baby

This has always confused me, ProAc seem to like using low powered amps at hifi shows. Yet the collective thought here is that they really like lots of power (mine also I may add).

10 hours ago, marlew said:

Be my guest.

Anyone have a small pair of ProAc standmounts to lend to me? :D

18 hours ago, marlew said:

ProAc Studio 130 in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAnloIcaqUY

Those are very nice speakers. It interesting sharing systems on youtube, quality is not bad at all these day. With some decent headphones you can get a good idea of the sound.

Some proac 1.5s in action (not mine). With very funnily what looks like a set JBL's monitors by the side, just like the bake off we just did. (but different JBLs)

Edited by eddie-baby

21 minutes ago, marlew said:

ProAc Studio 130 in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAnloIcaqUY

An extremely safe music choice IMO. Most speakers should get a lead vocal fairly accurate and 'in the room'.

3 minutes ago, TIU said:

An extremely safe music choice IMO. Most speakers should get a lead vocal fairly accurate and 'in the room'.

Fair comment. It is however an accurate representation of the 130. It is not my system or upload by the way.

I have a pair of D2s which I bought in preference to the D18s and a pair of PMCs that I had on trial, I'd like to try a larger pair but they would probably too big for my room, I may at some time try a pair of Focals, I have heard a few sets in my local hifi dealer and have been impressed but can't justify the outlay(yet).

I have small ProAc's and large Focals, they do sound very different.  Eddie may well add to this since we had his ProAc's here last weekend.  Both designs favour the live experience rather than a studio sound. I like both, ProAc's are less picky about amps, Focals tend to highlight weaknesses in supporting equipment, athough are possibly easier to drive. Never found a pair of PMC that I'd swap either for. The D2 are quite special and will take some beating, I'd be in no hurry to change.

Pictures gentlemen, pictures.  Does anyone have photos of their Proacs?

I enjoyed a pair of Proac standmounts in the main system for 14 years before finally replacing them with ART Alnicos.  It took 6 years of looking & auditions to find a pair of speakers that was materially more musical in our living room (and that SWMBO would accept from an aesthetic perspective!) than those baby Proacs.

So they are currently enjoying a well deserved rest in their original box until I work out how & where to build another system for them.

Along the way, I heard a pair of the current Proac D30R at a Proac & Naim dealer.  Now those are really rather special, especially at their price point. So here's a picture of the D30R.

Proac D30R.jpg

Best regards, FT

Edited by foot tapper