eddie-baby

ProAc speakers, anyone share the love? Your experiences and matching equipment.

Eddie there is a set of R2.5's on a well known internet auction site. Yes I also like ProAc's, have an old set of tablette 2 on tv duties, loved the ones with ATC mid's now was that 4's or 5's npt sure but they sounded amazing on a big Mark Levison.  Low point for me was the future range.   Those who where at the Pembrokeshire bake off will know that Nicky was quite keen to give someones ProAc's a new home.

14 hours ago, moo-fi said:

Eddie there is a set of R2.5's on a well known internet auction site. Yes I also like ProAc's, have an old set of tablette 2 on tv duties, loved the ones with ATC mid's now was that 4's or 5's npt sure but they sounded amazing on a big Mark Levison.  Low point for me was the future range.   Those who where at the Pembrokeshire bake off will know that Nicky was quite keen to give someones ProAc's a new home.

:) and I know Nicky has a good ear for these things!

Very tempted by some 2.5's (they are on my list of must owns). Full range too 20-20khz just a little bit lower than the 1.5. It would be a gamble though (and possibly an expensive one) and I'm not sure how they'd be in comparison. They're similar but Ive heard that the 1.5 image a bit better but the 2.5 do scale even better. But the 2s are larger and the down side is they'll probably need even more driving and control, and we saw how demanding the smaller 1.5's are at the bake off.  

I'd love to experience those response 4's! but at 160kgs+ each I cant see many coming to a bake off anytime soon :D

but ProAc's are a music lovers speaker which does hi-fi well, they're not going to give it to you like those studio monitors at the bake-off but they are designed for different applications. Studio monitors are awesome and do make great systems but there's a difference. Although the JBL's Nial brought were excellent, I could live with those a lot easier than his bigger horn ones.   

Edited by eddie-baby

Those photos of the 2.5s are rubbish. What type of mobile phone is he using? My mobile camera often takes better photos than my little Nikon. Also, he used them lightly as surrounds? Why is that using them lightly?

Big ProAc fan here. I have tried Response D2, Response 1.5, Response D18, Studio 140 and my current speakers Studio 130.

They are all very musical speakers. Natural, open and addictive to listen to. They work very well with Musical Fidelity amplification in my opinion.

I actually prefer the Studio range to the lower models in the Response range - I have not tried the D28 model or any of the models above it but would like to. I have heard there is a big gain in dynamics when you go from the D18 to the D28, something which I found slightly lacking (for my tastes) in the D18. I actually prefer the Studio 130 and 140 to both the D18 and D2. Bear in mind I listen to lots of up tempo music: electronica, jazz-funk, disco (the good stuff, not the cheese) along with Blue Note Jazz, acoustic, dub reggae, psychedelia, rock etc.

This is my second pair of Studio 130's and they are great speakers in my opinion and in the opinion of one reviewer on audio review who has it spot on. They are based on and improved upon the Studio 125 which were also a well regarded design back in the day. I actually prefer them to the Studio 140. The simpler two way design lends them a more detailed and natural mid-range. They do not go as low as the 140 and are less sensitive but they work superbly well with my MF A1008 and my room. I actually prefer this combination to much more expensive pre & power set ups I have had in the past with Dali, Focal and Dynaudio speakers. It just goes to show that most expensive does not always mean best.

The other brand of speaker I rate highly alongside ProAc is Dynaudio, particularly their older models. I think I just prefer natural sounding, accurate speakers that vere towards the studio end of the speaker spectrum as opposed to the more coloured, audiophile speakers. Also, I think I much prefer paper drivers and the Scandinavian soft dome tweeters which both ProAc and Dynaudio use. I am quite keen to try at some stage the ATC SCM19 v2 (Stereophile Class A). I have a feeling these will be up my street and should work well with my amplifier. I also want to try the recently released ProAc Studio SM100 which Mr Tyler has spent the past couple of years developing. The Studio 100's had a legendary, almost cult like status among studio professionals, particularly in the States. I'm pretty sure my next speaker will be either the ATC SCM19 v2 or the ProAc Studio SM100 but I will keep the ProAc Studio 130 as I just love what they do.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, TIU said:

Those photos of the 2.5s are rubbish. What type of mobile phone is he using? My mobile camera often takes better photos than my little Nikon. Also, he used them lightly as surrounds? Why is that using them lightly?

Agreed, bit of an odd one really. Still I like the colour, what I can make of it :)

16 minutes ago, marlew said:

Big ProAc fan here. I have tried Response D2, Response 1.5, Response D18, Studio 140 and my current speakers Studio 130.

They are all very musical speakers. Natural, open and addictive to listen to. They work very well with Musical Fidelity amplification in my opinion.

I actually prefer the Studio range to the lower models in the Response range - I have not tried the D28 model or any of the models above it but would like to. I have heard there is a big gain in dynamics when you go from the D18 to the D28, something which I found slightly lacking (for my tastes) in the D18. I actually prefer the Studio 130 and 140 to both the D18 and D2. Bear in mind I listen to lots of up tempo music: electronica, jazz-funk, disco (the good stuff, not the cheese) along with Blue Note Jazz, acoustic, dub reggae, psychedelia, rock etc.

This is my second pair of Studio 130's and they are great speakers in my opinion and in the opinion of one reviewer on audio review who has it spot on. They are based on and improved upon the Studio 125 which were also a well regarded design back in the day. I actually prefer them to the Studio 140. The simpler two way design lends them a more detailed and natural mid-range. They do not go as low as the 140 and are less sensitive but they work superbly well with my MF A1008 and my room. I actually prefer this combination to much more expensive pre & power set ups I have had in the past with Dali, Focal and Dynaudio speakers. It just goes to show that most expensive does not always mean best.

The other brand of speaker I rate highly alongside ProAc is Dynaudio, particularly their older models. I think I just prefer natural sounding, accurate speakers that vere towards the studio end of the speaker spectrum as opposed to the more coloured, audiophile speakers. Also, I think I much prefer paper drivers and the Scandinavian soft dome tweeters which both ProAc and Dynaudio use. I am quite keen to try at some stage the ATC SCM19 v2 (Stereophile Class A). I have a feeling these will be up my street and should work well with my amplifier. I also want to try the recently released ProAc Studio SM100 which Mr Tyler has spent the past couple of years developing. The Studio 100's had a legendary, almost cult like status among studio professionals, particularly in the States. I'm pretty sure my next speaker will be either the ATC SCM19 v2 or the ProAc Studio SM100 but I will keep the ProAc Studio 130 as I just love what they do.

Wow, great write up Mark, respect to you! :^

Edited by eddie-baby

3 minutes ago, eddie-baby said:

Agreed, bit of an odd one really. Still I like the colour, what I can make of it :)

Wow, great write up Mark, respect to you!

Thanks Eddie.

Gary, those poor photos could work in your favour. They will not maximise his sales potential.

I have never heard the 2.5's myself but I have heard it said by a few people that they are the best ProAc design ever. I believe it is the ProAc design which is most cloned. If you could get them for close to the starting price you will be onto a winner.

31 minutes ago, marlew said:

I have never heard the 2.5's myself but I have heard it said by a few people that they are the best ProAc design ever. I believe it is the ProAc design which is most cloned. If you could get them for close to the starting price you will be onto a winner.

Everyone is going to have their favourites Mark thats always going to be the case with anything. I've read the 2.5s were one of the best designs capable of embarrassing silly money speakers just with their sheer musicality and overall sound. But they've had a lot of good designs. The 1SC are slowly becoming legendary, and also the reference 8 signatures are some of the designs they'll go down in hi-fi history for.

And not sure if this is a myth or not but supposedly the response 1.5 was their best ever selling model, whether thats 100% true or not I dont know. I did ask a few of the ProAc guys in the Bristol hi-fi show this year and all they said was, "we did do really well with that one". :)

Edited by eddie-baby

As you say, ProAc have had lots of very good designs over the years. I just know that the 2.5 is very well regarded. At some stage I would like to have a listen to the newly released Studio SM100. There is a very interesting write up on them over at the Deco Audio web site. They have been big fans of the Studio 100 for a number of years now.

9 minutes ago, marlew said:

At some stage I would like to have a listen to the newly released Studio SM100. There is a very interesting write up on them over at the Deco Audio web site. They have been big fans of the Studio 100 for a number of years now.

Yes me too, would love to hear the new SM100. I've heard the 2.5s a few times but never the original iconic Studio 100's, heard many a story of people being astonished by their sound though.

Edited by eddie-baby

11 hours ago, marlew said:

Thanks Eddie.

Gary, those poor photos could work in your favour. They will not maximise his sales potential.

I'm not looking for speakers right now but ProAc are a brand I will try at some point.

52 minutes ago, TIU said:

I'm not looking for speakers right now but ProAc are a brand I will try at some point.

oh, but what about those other brands Gary :D,

On 21/07/2016 at 15:02, TIU said:

I'm not knocking Proac but there are quite a few other brands with a studio based pedigree that do amazing realism too.

only joking, :) but good luck in finding some if your looking at second hand, their values are not far off new prices at times. But its like anything, you get what you pay for, and this really applies with proacs.

12 hours ago, marlew said:

The other brand of speaker I rate highly alongside ProAc is Dynaudio, particularly their older models. I think I just prefer natural sounding, accurate speakers that vere towards the studio end of the speaker spectrum as opposed to the more coloured, audiophile speakers.

And I'm with you on this Mark 100%, Dynaudio's can sound outstanding. I liked the look and tried a few but was very uninspired, then I was lucky enough to hear some of their tastier models, stand and floorstand  and was blown away. Some of those models could quite easily handle studio and/or home use without any compromise, but getting good models is so random I find.  

Edited by eddie-baby

Y

4 hours ago, eddie-baby said:

oh, but what about those other brands Gary :D,

only joking, :) but good luck in finding some if your looking at second hand, their values are not far off new prices at times. But its like anything, you get what you pay for, and this really applies with proacs.

And I'm with you on this Mark 100%, Dynaudio's can sound outstanding. I liked the look and tried a few but was very uninspired, then I was lucky enough to hear some of their tastier models, stand and floorstand  and was blown away. Some of those models could quite easily handle studio and/or home use without any compromise, but getting good models is so random I find.  

Yes, you are quite correct. There are quite a few average sounding speakers within the Dynaudio range but when they get it right and they are matched with high quality, high current amplification the sound they produce is out of this world. The old Confidence 3 and 5, Contour 1.3SE, Special 25 and the Craft are all exceptional designs.

• Upvote 1

Dynaudio 

57 minutes ago, marlew said:

Yes, you are quite correct. There are quite a few average sounding speakers within the Dynaudio range but when they get it right and they are matched with high quality, high current amplification the sound they produce is out of this world. The old Confidence 3 and 5, Contour 1.3SE, Special 25 and the Craft are all exceptional designs.

Dynaudio Crafft, now they are something! yes I like the other models you've mentioned too, I'm sure there were a few others too but have no idea what they are called now. Some were stunning, very musical but extremely detailed and informative at the same time, should have been paying more attention really :)  but Dynaudio's themselves are a topic for another thread.

Edited by eddie-baby