eddie-baby

ProAc speakers, anyone share the love? Your experiences and matching equipment.

Super Wammer
I just love listening to speakers on youtube . ok some are horrible but you can get a flavour and I have listened to many I was familiar with 

EITHER

No! Not you too! Don’t encourage Eddiebaby and Marlew...

OR

Maybe I’m missing something. It gives me an idea though. I can dial into Fred’s Pembrokeshire bake-off and Nick’s LV bake-off down the road from me and he can hold the phone near the speakers. That will remove any possible expectation bias arising from seeing speakers (and other kit) looking dressed to kill.

Luckily sanity prevails and I will have the pleasure of entertaining Phil to the disintermediated sound of my D30R’s tomorrow. He might of course prefer the YouTube version!
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, marlew said:

There must be something seriously wrong at your end of the playback chain if you believe the video sounds 'dreadful'. 

The track itself sounds pretty good through exactly the same chain but different sources (stream or local Flac/MP3 file). The youtube video sounds thin, recessed and with a bit of echo thrown in. I even went so far as to try different devices and a couple of different sets of headphones, just in case. I'm sorry, I stand by what I said, the video sounds terrible (not the music, nor the hifi). I know it's not down to the original recording and I doubt it's down to the SM100s. It's certainly not down to my kit. If I believed that it gave a reasonable representation of the SM100s, I'd not touch them with a bargepole. Fortunately, I don't believe for one moment that the poor sound I hear is down to anything other than equipment used to make the recording. There are some good hi-fi videos on Youtube, that don't sound like they were recorded in a bathroom, but I still doubt the effectiveness of using YouTube to give anything beyond the vaguest of hints as to the sound of hi-fi.  However, I suspect we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheFlash said:

Maybe I’m missing something. It gives me an idea though. I can dial into Fred’s Pembrokeshire bake-off and Nick’s LV bake-off down the road from me and he can hold the phone near the speakers. That will remove any possible expectation bias arising from seeing speakers (and other kit) looking dressed to kill.

Now that could be done Nigel and you'd get 'a bit of a better idea' :) .  That is one reason why I tried to put as many pics of some of the audio highlights of the last bake off we had as everyone just writing about it doesn't do it any justice. But apart from that you're completely missing the point of having bake-offs in the first place even more so than us watching virtual hi-fi demos. They're just great get-togethers with interesting people who we can comfortably share stories with about music and hi-fi that the majority of normal people would just find hard and could probably never be able to understand why we do this. And there's always a chance of a discovery of knowledge or equipment, or just fun showing 'your ear' by popping something in that others just get amazing by. The laugh, great company, beer and food is all a bonus ;) But I  don't think anyone can ever disagree with you Nigel, there is nothing like being there.

4 hours ago, TheFlash said:

Luckily sanity prevails and I will have the pleasure of entertaining Phil to the disintermediated sound of my D30R’s tomorrow. He might of course prefer the YouTube version!

And Phil youre in for a treat, those ProAc's Nigel has are special speakers, enjoy :^

Edited by eddie-baby
  • Like 1

Super Wammer

yes , big thanks to nigel . oh my gosh playing the organ on those d30r is sublime . brilliant , thanks so much

Super Wammer
3 hours ago, hifinutt said:

yes , big thanks to nigel . oh my gosh playing the organ on those d30r is sublime . brilliant , thanks so much

Is ‘playing the organ’ some sort of double entendre? What did you two get up to? 

Super Wammer

...Two men playing with organs ...... hmmmmm ... come on phil , spill the beans , did you play some tunes after. ..:)

Super Wammer
7 minutes ago, deggie said:

...Two men playing with organs ...... hmmmmm ... come on phil , spill the beans , did you play some tunes after. ..:)

Phil just asked whether I fancied a bit of organ, said something about loving the sound of a good deeply vibrating pipe and asked why didn't we pull all the stops out. Then it's a bit of a blur. All perfectly innocent. Dirty old sods.

Anyway, what are you two doing on the ProAc thread? Have you decided to get yourselves some real speakers after all?

Edited by TheFlash
  • Haha 1

Super Wammer

it was a really organic sound :D

Super Wammer

I like Prozac ....;-)

PM sent Eddie.