The site will be out of service again for further upgrades regarding security fixes. Work will be carried out between 4.30am and 5.30am tomorrow morning. We apologise for the inconvenience.

eddie-baby

ProAc speakers, anyone share the love? Your experiences and matching equipment.

Recommended Posts

I love lots of different speakers but ProAc are one of my favourites and are well respected amongst audiophiles. They're not cheap but in comparison to some much more expensive makes/models they just do the job of letting you enjoy the music and recording, whilst sometimes just forgetting the hi-fi (but still being very hi-fi).

ProAc know how to voice speakers, and I've spoke to Stewart Tyler their founder and designer at shows. He said for him one of the reasons he set out was that he used to listen to and enjoy live music and then go home and listen to a hi-fi which sounded nothing like it. From this he designs a speaker with music in mind and making a sound that was closer to the real thing.

I've owned and listened to many different models and they've all done something special. + they have great used resale values.

I know they are used all over the world in homes and recording studios but just wondering if anyone else shares the love on here?

Edited by eddie-baby
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer

I've used a pair of Studio 140 Mk 1 for quite a number of years now and have no immediate plans to change them. Athough built to a high standard the designs may be condidered a little uninspiring but their "sound" in my set up suits my music tastes remarkably well.  A very even-handed and balanced sound well suited to valves and vinyl.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, khapahk said:

I've used a pair of Studio 140 Mk 1 for quite a number of years now and have no immediate plans to change them. Athough built to a high standard the designs may be condidered a little uninspiring but their "sound" in my set up suits my music tastes remarkably well.  A very even-handed and balanced sound well suited to valves and vinyl.

140's are beautiful speakers and I couldn't agree more with what you said. The designs may look/are fairly 'basic' but as you said they are extremely well built. I have a set of response 1.5 floorstanders here now and they are 'solid'! And the same can be said for the smallest stand mounts they make. With the grills on the untrained eye could mistake some of the Tablettes for cheap micro system speakers in their look. I do like the understated look myself, but when it come to sound they're world-class speakers.

Thought ProAc would be worth a mention here, surprised they haven't been already.

Edited by eddie-baby

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, eddie-baby said:

Thought ProAc would be worth a mention here, surprised they haven't been already.

They are purchased with pounds, shillings and pence (in old money).

Edited by TIU

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Proac Response 2.5 were my favourite speakers until my Martin Logan SL3, which work fantastically in my room.

The Response 2.5 worked for me in 4 different houses and had a touch of musicality that was noticed by all that heard them.

I've never heard a better 2 way box speaker.

They demanded good amplification, but I will probably have Proacs of some description again in the future.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, joleyami said:

My Proac Response 2.5 were my favourite speakers until my Martin Logan SL3, which work fantastically in my room.

The Response 2.5 worked for me in 4 different houses and had a touch of musicality that was noticed by all that heard them.

I've never heard a better 2 way box speaker.

They demanded good amplification, but I will probably have Proacs of some description again in the future.

I'd love to try the 2.5's at home, heard many in use and they are incredible. Not that I find the 1.5 lacking in any way but I often wonder how much more depth the 2.5 would give me. But the way the 1.5s reproduce things like bass drums (and for that matter all instruments and vocals) I just find amazing, and they're fairly small drivers considering.

I remember listening to a set of 2.5's set up somewhere once on some massive chord amp (forget what the source was), I wasnt paying much attention really until the point I had no choice. There was some female vocalist singing and I can honestly say it sounded real, it was quite eerie to listen to.

Edited by eddie-baby

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not knocking Proac but there are quite a few other brands with a studio based pedigree that do amazing realism too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TIU said:

I'm not knocking Proac but there are quite a few other brands with a studio based pedigree that do amazing realism too.

No doubt there are Gary. I'm just saying about some of my experiences with proac. I'll be honest I've heard more detailed speakers, speakers that look better and speakers that excel better at different things but I just think proac are a great overall package. And for just musical enjoyment, hard to beat.

What did you have in mind? I'd be interested to hear about them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Dealer

Last week we had to go out and install a audio streamer for a very nice old gentleman who over the past year or so has been good enough to spend a few bob with us . In the past he's always called in and picked up his purchases but due to a fall he can not drive for a couple of months . So i popped the streamer in the van and helped him set it up..over a nice cup of tea he played a few tracks on his system and i have to admit that the little Proac speakers he had hooked up sounded fantastic .It was a pair of the Response 1's and i have to say that i am a convert now, Stunning bass from a little box and a rear depth of imagery .He told me that since he changed from a wooden set of speaker stands to the sand filled metal ones everything had improved and i can only say that i was very very impressed  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MFAV said:

Last week we had to go out and install a audio streamer for a very nice old gentleman who over the past year or so has been good enough to spend a few bob with us . In the past he's always called in and picked up his purchases but due to a fall he can not drive for a couple of months . So i popped the streamer in the van and helped him set it up..over a nice cup of tea he played a few tracks on his system and i have to admit that the little Proac speakers he had hooked up sounded fantastic .It was a pair of the Response 1's and i have to say that i am a convert now, Stunning bass from a little box and a rear depth of imagery .He told me that since he changed from a wooden set of speaker stands to the sand filled metal ones everything had improved and i can only say that i was very very impressed  

Had a set of proacs 1sc's very special speakers, but they'll cost you even now second hand. They're sought after speakers, just get better and better with source and amplifer upgrades.

Edited by eddie-baby

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Dealer

Eddie , this chap over the last year will have spent about £5000 with us on new power amps and the streamer . He was very happy with the improvement made by upgrading from a old Quad power amp to the new ones we fitted .We have found in general that if you have a good small speaker getting the power amp matched makes a big difference

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, eddie-baby said:

No doubt there are Gary. I'm just saying about some of my experiences with proac. I'll be honest I've heard more detailed speakers, speakers that look better and speakers that excel better at different things but I just think proac are a great overall package. And for just musical enjoyment, hard to beat.

What did you have in mind? I'd be interested to hear about them.

From my own personal experience, Amphion Argon 3. One respected reviewer said they were the best standmounts he had heard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

whenever I hear the D2 I am impressed . very natural and great vfm s/h

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never heard the D2 Phil, but Im sure they are really good, I liked the D1's. They all seem to have a similar flavour but their sound can vary quite a lot. I dont know how they do it but I really enjoy music with proac, they are hi-fi, maybe not as in your face hi-fi as some, but that doesnt seem to distract you from just really enjoying and getting into recordings/music.

Demo'ing next to other speakers may not always do them full justice. If I had to say something bad about them I'd say that the ones Ive had need lots of power and prefer being driven quite a bit to come to life. Not so good for background music/radio.

I would really love to hear some of the big boy ProAc's though. Something like response 3s, 4s or 5s even, but I have never been lucky enough very sadly :(

Edited by eddie-baby

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the d2 is excellent. More of what the d1 does with a fuller sound and more comfortable with a wider range of material.

However if you like the smaller monitor sound of the d1 then also consider the classic 1sc and pair it will a sugden a21 for a sublime combination.

Edited by graham67

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.