Knipester

Shahinian owners club

I own a second (new) pair of Diapasons and they have the same PR as the upgraded Obelisk (SEAS SP26R (?)) 

131567695_IMG_20190321_0858581.thumb.jpg.b05f30dcfb6419d40b81536da76d8e52.jpg

You can hear a difference - but both Diapasions (old and new) sound really good.  It seems that not only the parts you are using are essential for a good performance, as Dave mentioned above

To get perfect factory performance, the woofers need to match, or be replaced, and I haven't figured that part out yet.. Will need some help (pictures with grilles off) from some friendly Shahinian owners who have newer 2 versions or have factory updated their earlier ones! If woofers are replaced, then crossover changes may also be needed, again pictures may solve this mystery..

You would have to do the woodwork yourself, since the cabinets will need careful "woodwork" or routing to fit the new passives properly, and you'll have to figure out the correct Helmholtz tuning, to know exactly how much weight to add to the back of the passive (washers fitted onto an M4 stud).

After all I am happy that my speakers were modified directly at the factory - I got a chance to listen to used Obs with home-made modifications - what a shocking experience. No wonder you can find very negative reviews of this wonderful speakers as well (from guys not knowing what they are really capable of).

Tried to remove the grilles to make pics from the woofers as well - but without using brute force this seems not to be possible (maybe glued to the cabinet ?)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I'm a newbie and this is my first post.

I'm so glad to find a group dedicated to the appreciation and enjoyment of any speakers designed and created by Richard Shahinian.

I recently purchased a pair of Obelisks and just need some guidance in how to remove the top covers and passive radiator covers.

Anyway, I'm loving these amazing speakers, there is nothing quite like them.

Cheers.

Edited by NoelM

Wow! Don't all talk at once!

Hello! Is anyone there, or is this a obsolete group?

I'm underwhelmed by all the replies.

Doesn't anyone have anything to say?

I guess I'll look elsewhere for an answer to my question.

Sorry Noel but I don't have Obelisks so can't help you.

Noel, I hope (and don't think) this is an obsolete group - I don't know of another active group focused on Shahinian products (let us know if you do).

I got a pair of used Arcs a couple years ago and immediately replaced the missing passive radiators with cheap but workable ones.  From the info shared on this site, I've learned of the correct ones I should and will replace them with (SEAS model SP26R).O

I have the sense that while people in this group don't respond at the speed of Facebook, they do respond in a couple days if they have a positive answer to a question.  More time lapses when they either have a No, or nothing to say.

Like you, I'm very happy with my Shahinians.  I went to the shop and met Richard Shahinian back in the 80s, and bought a pair of Obelisks for the Cathedral of St. John the Divine in NYC where I was working.  We played them in the Cathedral Shop where they were great to play organ recordings.  The Arcs are great on organ, too.

Enjoy your Obelisks,

Bob C

Thanks muggo and BClarkeVA for your replies.

I managed to get the covers off what I thought were the passive radiators but turned out to be the active woofers and was glad to see they were in excellent condition.

The top covers, I've been told by the previous owner, can be gently jimmied off using a flat blade screwdriver, but using some cloth to protect the cabinet edges from damage.

I haven't been game enough to try that yet, hence my search for a less risky method of cover removal.

I'll just let things be at this stage.

Cheers,

Noel

May - I ask - does this brand and maker compare well to PMC ? (er).
Shahinian look to be excellent and a high end proposition. I am vaguely in the market for some PMC Twenty 26.

Perhaps they were done already by Shahinian? They seem to be transmission line designs and these do work really well I think. Lovely calming dynamic. Second - hand market is reassuringly small (so to quote lol).

Hello, Millenium.  A quick look at the PMC 26 line shows they are directional floor standing speakers, while the Shahinians are floorstanding omnidirectionals.  I have heard several PMCs at shows over the years and they are certainly high quality, high sound quality speakers.  I would put Shahinians in similar quality levels, but expect you would find the effect of PMC vs Shahinian quite different.  Directionals tend to project details quite well, and you can localize sound images very specifically - BUT, with narrow space where sound is truly optimized (i.e., a single "money seat" where sound is perfect - seats to sides of that seat don't sound quite as good).  I like directionals for featured individual voices, or individual acoustic instruments.

In contrast, I find Shahinians and other omnis (such as MBLs) are great at symphonic, organ, and other "large presentation" content, where presenting a large scale is important.  I like my Shahinian Arcs, too, for jazz and rock combo pieces - where I'm not focusing on the specific placement of singers or instrumentalists, but more on the blended presentation of the group.  Shahinians provide surprisingly deep bass for their size, through use of passive radiators.  I expect they would go much deeper and much stronger in bass than the PMCs for a comparable price.

Not having heard the PMC 26s, these are judgements from other PMC floorstanders vs. Shahinians.  I'd say definitely worth listening to to both.

Bob C

Anyone got any arcs or compasses? 

I'm thinking of getting hold of a set but never spent any time with either of them, apart from very brief encounters with the Arcs. Any of you folks fancy doing a brief video of them playing a demo, Ive got some good ideas in the past whilst wearing various headphones. Some frown on it but I find it really useful, among other things you've got to factor in the magic compression of the Internet (which isn't that bad these days actually), but it seriously beats reading peoples reviews.

Eddie, I've got a pair of Arcs that I'm very happy with.  Working on getting updated passive radiators, but even without them love the sound they provide.

I've never been convinced of value of videos of speakers.  My microphone is mono, and the beauty of Shahinan speakers is the broad soundstage they provide, with excellent imaging as well.  I just don't think that would convey in a video.  If you're anywhere near Washington, DC I'd be happy to have you over to listen.  Otherwise you can check with Shahinian directly and see where their nearest dealer or passionate user is, so you can hear the speakers directly.

Bob C

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BClarkeVA said:

Eddie, I've got a pair of Arcs that I'm very happy with.  Working on getting updated passive radiators, but even without them love the sound they provide.

I've never been convinced of value of videos of speakers.  My microphone is mono, and the beauty of Shahinan speakers is the broad soundstage they provide, with excellent imaging as well.  I just don't think that would convey in a video.  If you're anywhere near Washington, DC I'd be happy to have you over to listen.  Otherwise you can check with Shahinian directly and see where their nearest dealer or passionate user is, so you can hear the speakers directly.

Bob C

Hi Bob

Thanks for the offer, unfortunately I'm a very long way from you. And I agree with everything you say, but I do see some value in videos, I really think they do have use, if just to get an idea of tonality if nothing else. I do know limitations of compression and equipment over the Internet but even with that it does give some sort of reference, it's way better than reading any sort of review for me. There's some great stuff on YouTube now, obviously it's not like being there but still fun to check out. 

I known Shahinian are a bit of an unusual speaker in the way they deliver sound, and their unconventional design make them even more difficult to capture how they would sound in a room situation. 

There was a set advertised of the original designs (without the radiator I believe) on this forum but at the time I wasn't ready to buy. I think I might have made the trip If they come up again. The newer type I'm sure are better even though I haven't always been a huge fan of passive designs. I guess I'll just have to just wait for a suitable set for me to turn up. 

The compass do also interest me as well. I have some epos es22s at the moment and even though the synergy they have is superb with my naim amp, Shahinians are an itch that I just have to scratch. But being a bit of a non mass produced and niche speaker they are not that common to come across that's the problem. 

Edited by eddie-baby

I had ES 22s, Compass and now Arcs. I can't see the point of videoing sound, but I'm Leics UK if you are interested in a demo and coffee.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, muggo said:

I had ES 22s, Compass and now Arcs. I can't see the point of videoing sound, but I'm Leics UK if you are interested in a demo and coffee.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Thanks if Im ever near there I would be interested, I take it the Arc's were the ones you liked the most then?

Do you have the originals or the newer variant?

My Arcs are original and I'm  perfectly happy, nay delighted, with the sound they make.

I can't imagine ever changing them.

• Like 1

On 02/08/2019 at 07:34, eddie-baby said:

Anyone got any arcs or compasses? 

I'm thinking of getting hold of a set but never spent any time with either of them, apart from very brief encounters with the Arcs. Any of you folks fancy doing a brief video of them playing a demo, Ive got some good ideas in the past whilst wearing various headphones. Some frown on it but I find it really useful, among other things you've got to factor in the magic compression of the Internet (which isn't that bad these days actually), but it seriously beats reading peoples reviews.

I've got Larcs, so can't help with a demo, but if you do hear some Compasses and like them, Andrew at The Audio Republic in Leeds had a demo pair at a good price earlier in the year. I don't know whether they've gone yet, but if not, they'd be a good buy.