The site will be out of service again for further upgrades regarding security fixes. Work will be carried out between 4.30am and 5.30am tomorrow morning. We apologise for the inconvenience.

Knipester

Shahinian owners club

Fair enough. That's a great excuse!

Whatever you do though, you have to beg, borrow or steal a BMU. I know they have them in N America and it was transformational in my system. The cheapest upgrade I ever did. I can't believe they are so under the radar. Just £480 in the UK for my model and they do 120v versions too. 

All the best. 

Paul 

Paul, will have to do some looking about on your BMU. Not heard of the brand before, but some of these things do indeed fly under my radar for sure! Thanks for the note! 

Tim

Hello , I am new here and thought I would comment how wonderful my new pair of Shahinian Obelisk 2  speakers sound driven by my USA made Saunders Magtech amplifier. Regards Paul Burgess New Zealand

Monty, very nice, glad you are enjoying your Ob2's. When I had mine, the Magtech was where I almost ended up, and probably should have(long story). The Sanders amps drive the Obs very well, and sound great. Nice combination for a good deal less than some of the other recommended amps, at least here in the US anyway. Enjoy!

Hello from Austria - I first experienced Shahinian speakers in the early 90's. Over the years I have built a small collection of them. At the moment i own a pair of Super Elf (2007), Compass (1997), Obelisk (2002) and there is also a pair of Diapasons (1995) in the house. 

I had  a chance to compare the Obs with Duevels "Bella Luna Diamante" - a good looking speaker with a nice soundstage but for my ears no match for the Obs.

At the end of last year I decided to upgrade the Obelisk and the Diapason to the latest (2017/2018) specs and shipped them to Vasken Shahinian. In case you are thinking about keeping your (old) Shahinians for good I really can recommend doing the upgrade. The price is reasonable - in fact it's much cheaper to upgrade than to buy new.

The results are amazing. They were very good before - but now ? Let's say - even out of the box they exceeded my expectations - worth every penny.

Obelisk and Diapason (for example the passive radiators before)  

IMG_20171101_114650.jpg.47091193740cbf11caf6cb5e6a604d6d.jpgIMG_20171020_111551.jpg.97c20989ed466b1b4c200e454234295b.jpg

and after the upgrade

IMG_20180115_125605.jpg.ec642492e2c4dd6a422796f7e2b8ecf4.jpgIMG_20180115_125806.jpg.a3737571ac9dfbe6fda6c0dbde99b4f9.jpg

- they changed everything (woofers, mids, wires, grills, connections,...), except the supertweeters (and the corpus)).

Another thing - the wiring of the Diapason Double Eagles and the Tops - you have a lot of options to improve their performance:

double_eagle_links.jpg.f135d3437ff6e4110b800456b1423264.jpg  

In case you use one amp to power the Double Eagles and the Tops together try "Bridged Filters Out Full Range" - the wires for the Tops have to be connected together with the wires from the amp (+/-)

Over the years I tried a lot of amplifiers from different manufacturers (big Dynavector, Niam, Plinius, etc) - my final choice is a small company from Germany - "Music Components" by Dr.Fuß. One DualMono powers the Obelisk (pre-amp is a DENON AVR-7200WA - I use the Obs in my home cinema as Front (Center "Sonus Faber Olympica", Rear "Compass", Atmos "Super Elf", Sub "REL Stadium3") and another DualMono powers the Diapason (bridged) (Music Components Pre-Amplifier).

MusicComponents.jpg.7706a853538558f93b777a3bd321b183.jpg

Maybe someone will find this useful....enjoy the music....

best

Ewald

• Like 1

Welcome and I'm sure that post will be well appreciated 

Thanks everyone for your info on your Shahinian installations.  I got a pair of Arcs last year, which I think are the Version 1s (not sure how to tell V1 from V2).  The passive radiators were missing and I read that the latest version had flat radiators so I bought these.  But from the image Schnarcherstrasse posted above, the new passive radiators (which I think are common to Arcs and Obelisks) actually are concave and have a dust cap.

- can you confirm that V2 Arcs/Obelisks have PRs like the ones pictured above?

- has anyone replaced their PRs with any other than those available from Vasken at Shahinian?  I'd love to use his, but can't afford the $500/speaker it would cost right now.

Thanks for any insights you can share.  Even with the inexpensive PRs that I bought these speakers sound great.  BTW, I'm powering them in a home office with the SONOS Connect amp - not high end, but powerful enough to provide a wonderful sound in my small home office.

Bob C

Hi,

the PR of the Obelisks were upgraded by Shahinian - so you can be sure that the passive radiators I posted above are the original ones (old and new). I don't know about the Arcs but Obelisk and Diapasons have the same PR.

A lot of Shahinian owners in Europe seem to replace old woofer and PR with cheap replacements - and try to sell them afterwards not satisfied with the result.

Ewald

Super Wammer

leaving my arc and obs alone for now

sound great

dynavector and bryston

2 hours ago, huwge said:

leaving my arc and obs alone for now

sound great

dynavector and bryston

Same here. I can't imagine a better sound than my Mk1 Arcs with Teddy Pardo monoblocks and balanced mains unit.

I bought some Larcs in December. I'm very happy with them but always looking for an improvement. It the moment they're stood on carpet. I put table mats under them and there was some tightening up, so I'm off to TK Max today to buy a couple of cheap chopping boards to put under them.

What material would you advise, wood, slate, marble or glass?

Posted (edited)

Hello! New member here, Shahinian Obelisk owner, my first post..

I'm in the USA on the East Coast, near Boston Massachusetts, so only a few hours away from Shahinian factory near NYC, but there seem to be few Shahinian owners here in the USA, and so many more in the UK and elsewhere in the world!

I have a pair of 1989 Obelisks that I love! I bought them in December 2018 and they have replaced my KEF 105/2 ("Dalek heads") as my favourite speakers. Mine have the 2 midrange and 4 super-tweeters on top, paired with earlier white/translucent woofers and white plastic passives with round center weights and foam surrounds. They are Finland birch cabinets with Brazilian rosewood veneer. Old shipping labels on the original factory cartons show they were used by Dick Shahinian at the Las Vegas CES show in 1989!

I confirmed with Vasken at Shahinian that my passives had been replaced a few years ago (they are the older "grey foam" style) but I asked him about updating my pair to the newer woofers since one of my original woofers has ripples around the edge of the cone and the rubber surrounds on both are quite aged looking. They do sound wonderful anyway, thankfully, since the update pricing (absent from Shahinian's website) is a LOT more than I'd read on older forum posts..

Update pricing from Vasken, as of January 2019:

New woofers $850/pair

New passives $750/pair

Add cabinet bracing (recommended) $600/pair

Crossover updates (if needed) $TBD

I paid $1,000 for my pair (including shipping them across the USA to me) so spending another $2,200 (plus shipping to/from the NYC factory) to update just the woofers and passives doesn't seem like a valid option for me, they would still have 30 year old midrange and super-tweeter drivers..

My pair sound great, especially since I just bought a Sanders amp to replace my old Quad 909, but I am now looking at DIY update options. I know John Burns of Pear Audio (the UK importer) can do updates, so it's possible outside of the factory. Maybe his prices are different? I'm looking at buying the exact same passives and woofers that Vasken uses, and carefully doing any required woodwork/routing myself..

I have some of that information to share, and hope to get the rest from other Obelisk owners who are sympathetic to a fellow Shahinian enthusiast on a budget..      

Edited by Record Genie
Typo!

Posted (edited)
On 15/02/2019 at 10:56, BClarkeVA said:

Thanks everyone for your info on your Shahinian installations.  I got a pair of Arcs last year, which I think are the Version 1s (not sure how to tell V1 from V2).  The passive radiators were missing and I read that the latest version had flat radiators so I bought these.  But from the image Schnarcherstrasse posted above, the new passive radiators (which I think are common to Arcs and Obelisks) actually are concave and have a dust cap.

- can you confirm that V2 Arcs/Obelisks have PRs like the ones pictured above?

- has anyone replaced their PRs with any other than those available from Vasken at Shahinian?  I'd love to use his, but can't afford the $500/speaker it would cost right now.

Thanks for any insights you can share.  Even with the inexpensive PRs that I bought these speakers sound great.  BTW, I'm powering them in a home office with the SONOS Connect amp - not high end, but powerful enough to provide a wonderful sound in my small home office.

Bob C

Note: Extensively edited because I now realize Ewald's Obelisks and Diapasons have two different "factory replacement" passives, see details below!

Hi Bob!

Nice to see another budget-minded Shahinian owner in the USA!

Unfortunately those $40 ESS passives you've bought are not correct.. They may work (somewhat) but won't be properly "matched" to the woofers and cabinet design you have. I'm just learning about all this stuff, but with transmission lines like Obelisks and Arcs, the passive radiator has to work together with the woofer as a pair. Paying close attention to things like "resonant frequency" and Helmholtz calculations determines exactly how much passive weight to add, and will ensure they sound just as wonderful as their designer Dick Shahinian intended.. It's clever stuff!

Obelisk 2's, Arc 2's, and Diapason 2's now use passives that look like woofer cones (without magnet assembly) as Ewald's pictures show us with Obelisks and Diapasons he had updated at the Shahinian factory. I've been in touch with another early Obelisk owner who did factory updates in late 2018, and have learned the following useful information:

Obelisk 2's and Arc 2's are apparently now factory fitted with SEAS model SP26R (made in Norway) which can be purchased in the USA from suppliers like Madisound for $115 each. More expensive than Bob's $40 replacements, but $230/pair isn't crazy, given SEAS' quality. Falcon Acoustics sells SEAS in the UK. Or try Solen in Canada. I have no affiliation with these sellers..

Some Obelisk 1's and Diapasons (like Ewald's) have apparently been "factory updated" and fitted with Dayton Audio DS270-PR passives, which can be purchased from Parts Express for only $26.50 each! Dayton Audio products are made in Taiwan. So only $53 (plus shipping) for a pair of passives to update your Arcs/Obelisks!  For Diapason owners, Parts Express discounts 4+ unit orders, so it's less than $100 for 4 passives needed to update a pair! I have no affiliation with Parts Express..

It's always possible that Vasken is ordering custom made special versions of SEAS or Dayton Audio passives or woofers for Shahinian, but with low volume production it's unlikely, and hasn't been mentioned anywhere that I've seen. To figure this out, I've spent hours reading every forum thread and carefully studying every Shahinian picture I could find online, including many "For Sale" and expired listings..

Please verify for yourself, but the SEAS SP26R's have 6 mounting screws and a smooth polypropylene cone. The Dayton DS270-PR's have 5 mounting screws and a textured paper cone. You can also compare surround roll-size and dustcap size, as these are all distinctive identifying features in what is a very limited passive radiator marketplace..

Before you get too excited, it's not quite that easy: To get perfect factory performance, the woofers need to match, or be replaced, and I haven't figured that part out yet.. Will need some help (pictures with grilles off) from some friendly Shahinian owners who have newer 2 versions or have factory updated their earlier ones! If woofers are replaced, then crossover changes may also be needed, again pictures may solve this mystery..

You would have to do the woodwork yourself, since the cabinets will need careful "woodwork" or routing to fit the new passives properly, and you'll have to figure out the correct Helmholtz tuning, to know exactly how much weight to add to the back of the passive (washers fitted onto an M4 stud).

Paying $750/pair for Arc/Obelisk passives (and presumably double that for Diapasons) is an option if you can't do DIY woodwork properly to get professional results. I know everyone has to make a living, but given what SEAS/Dayton passives retail for, it's clear that factory labour rates for updates/repairs are very high when it probably only takes an hour to update Arcs and Obelisks, maybe two hours for Diapasons. Shipping costs to/from the factory also add up, especially for owners who live far away, or international customers..

Let me know if you have trouble finding them Bob,

Dave B.  

Edited by Record Genie
Exciting new information!

Posted (edited)
On 24/02/2019 at 01:46, Schnarcherstrasse said:

Hi,

the PR of the Obelisks were upgraded by Shahinian - so you can be sure that the passive radiators I posted above are the original ones (old and new). I don't know about the Arcs but Obelisk and Diapasons have the same PR.

A lot of Shahinian owners in Europe seem to replace old woofer and PR with cheap replacements - and try to sell them afterwards not satisfied with the result.

Ewald

Note: Edited heavily because of some new information I've just learned!

Hi Ewald,

While looking to buy my Obelisks I saw several pairs of Shahinians with the wrong passives fitted, I think that's because Arcs and Obelisks have been around for a long time now, and those foam passive surrounds all fail with age.. Since older Arcs and Obelisks can now be bought for reasonable money, and factory updates are so expensive, seems that a more cost-effective update/repair option is needed to keep these wonderful speakers going and sounding as good as they should!

Thanks for posting the pictures of your factory updated Obelisks and Diapasons - They look similar, but on closer examination, the new passives in your Obelisks are SEAS SP26R units (6 screws), and the new Diapason passives are Dayton Audio DS270-PR's (5 screws)..

Would you be kind enough to post pictures of your new woofers? Especially your updated Obelisks, with the round cloth grilles off and the woofers visible. No need to take them out of the cabinets, although if you're handy with a screwdriver it won't take more than 5 minutes to remove the screws (and replace them afterwards) and the manufacturer labels with model information are hopefully still on the back!

The new Diapason woofers are most likely different than the new Obelisk woofers, since the Diapason cabinets are so much bigger.. I know older Obelisks used SEAS P21-REX woofers (no longer made) and Hawks/Diapasons used P21-REY (also out of production). The REY version has a much more powerful magnet structure. All of this may be of great interest to anyone with older Diapasons!

I've just seen pictures of some early Obelisks that are for sale for $2,250 and were factory updated in 2018 with Dayton DS270-PR passives fitted (not SEAS SP26R) which is somewhat curious! $53/pair for Dayton passives versus $230/pair for SEAS would mean $175 more profit on the $750 update, or maybe the Dayton's just sound better?!

The seller said the woofers were also changed, looking at the pictures, they have 4 screws and polypropylene cones, so may be new-old-stock SEAS P21-REX, or Scan-Speak's Classic P21WO20 replacement model that looks the same, retail at Madisound $85.50 each. The seller didn't know for sure, but I'll post again if he decides to get handy with a screwdriver and check the backs! That information may interest others, but I'd like to update my Obelisk passives to the SEAS SP26R units I've already bought, so I need to identify the factory matching woofers!

Hope you can help! The grilles on my Obelisks are just cloth covered plastic "hoops" that are a press-fit into the cabinet gap around the woofer frame, so they're easy to remove and replace, and I'd think yours would be the same..

Best,

Dave B. 

Edited by Record Genie
New information!

Dave and Ewald, thanks very much for guidance to the SEAS passive radiators I need to get for my Arc 1s.  Only got the $40 PRs as I couldn't find out what replacements are in the Arc 2s and the $40 ones were exact fit for the opening.  I'll be happy to do the woodworking tweaks to get the SEAS to fit.

Please pass on info on specific woofer, midrange and other mods as you find them to move Arc 1s to 2s.  As said elsewhere, happy to pay retail price for the parts and with my own labor the overall upgrades are affordable.  

I'm looking forward to making a quite good (Arc 1) speaker sound even better!

Bob C